The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors) VII

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
From http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf
11.8 Individually Negotiated Limitations on Player Movement.
(a) The SPC of any Player who is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent under Article
10.1(a) may contain a no-Trade or a no-move clause. SPCs containing a no-Trade or a no-move clause may be entered into prior to the time that the Player is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent so long as the SPC containing the no-Trade or no-move clause extends through and does not become effective until the time that the Player qualifies for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency. If the Player is Traded or claimed on Waivers prior to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring Club. An acquiring Club may agree to continue to be bound by the no-Trade or no-move clause, which agreement shall be evidenced in writing to the Player, Central Registry and the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof.
Specifies NTCs or NMCs not yet effective are not binding to the new club (at their option). Does not specify whether effective (but waived or partial) clauses are still binding to the new team, but the lack of any other scenario mentioned in which they are not binding leads me to assume they would be.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
From http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

Specifies NTCs or NMCs not yet effective are not binding to the new club (at their option). Does not specify whether effective (but waived or partial) clauses are still binding to the new team, but the lack of any other scenario mentioned in which they are not binding leads me to assume they would be.

That is my interpretation as well, but I'm no lawyer. We had a similar discussion back with the rumors of Scotty Hartnell and his NMC necessitating his protection.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
That is my interpretation as well, but I'm no lawyer. We had a similar discussion back with the rumors of Scotty Hartnell and his NMC necessitating his protection.

Yes and if I remember correctly it was determined in the Hartnell case that Nashville would have the option whether to honor it or not.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
Yes and if I remember correctly it was determined in the Hartnell case that Nashville would have the option whether to honor it or not.

Probably not that simple.

For example, several players have modified NTC where they maintain a list of "x" number of teams to which whey would accept a trade.

If traded to one of those teams, that's not a waiver of any clause of the contract, but actual execution of the contract as-is. I would fully expect that modified NTC to carry over fully intact.

Get's messy fast.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Probably not that simple.

For example, several players have modified NTC where they maintain a list of "x" number of teams to which whey would accept a trade.

If traded to one of those teams, that's not a waiver of any clause of the contract, but actual execution of the contract as-is. I would fully expect that modified NTC to carry over fully intact.

Get's messy fast.
We're all just guessing because the online copy of the CBA doesn't address this.

My guess is on line with David's though.

If you have a full NMC or NTC and have to waive it, it's waived, and up to the other team whether or not it's reinstated.

If you have a partial where you can provide a list of teams, you're not really waiving it, you just have a list of accepted teams. So in this case it would carry over as a partial NMC or NTC.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Because it is not spelled out in the current contract is an indication that the provision is carried over from previous contracts. If every topic were placed into each contract it would make the contract thousands of pages and take forever to get done. It takes long enough as is and the focus on publication is to explain the changes. As has been pointed out the and the focus of what has been posted here has been to trading a player before the NMC or NTC goes into effect. And the right of the gaining club having the choice of to honor the NTC or not. Just as the Preds have done with Subban they exercised this clause to remove it from Subban. As you read the articles out there you will find that GM's giving out the NTC's are relinquishing power to the player and is some cases it hurts the club. Louongo in Vancouver is just one example a huge salary and cap hit and a NTC prevented them from moving the guy when they wanted too and the player wanted it as well.

10.1a Should be the place where everything related to the NMC or NTYC is expalined yet in this contract it only addresses the situation like Subban. Which is the change that was made. It does not even set out the 7-27 rule when a player becomes eligible to be offered a NMC or NTC. A player must be in the league 7 years or reach the age of 27 before he can be offered a NMC or NTC. This was set contracts ago and is still the binding agreement but it is not in the last CBA but it is still binding.

It is still my belief that the NTC has a termination point other than before it goes into effect or at the end of the contract. Otherwise the Louongo or David Clarkson situations cripple a club. With a cap it is difficult to use a traditional buyout to shed these longterm contracts. No matter how good a player is there is no promise that things will not turn bad.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
don't know what his contract situation in the KHL is like, but I wouldn't mind bringing in Sami Lepisto.

he's proved during this WCOH tournament that he can still be a solid bottom 6 guy at the NHL level. been probably the 2nd or 3rd best d-man on team Finland after Risto and/or Maatta.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
don't know what his contract situation in the KHL is like, but I wouldn't mind bringing in Sami Lepisto.

he's proved during this WCOH tournament that he can still be a solid bottom 6 guy at the NHL level. been probably the 2nd or 3rd best d-man on team Finland after Risto and/or Maatta.

Just a little FYI, forwards are referred to as top 6 or bottom 6 and defensemen are referred to as pairings and in this case he'd be referred to as a third pairing guy.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014

He was arguably the best dman on Team Finland. His very small number of mistakes and good decisions pretty much granted that.

With 2bit, Granberg, Weber, Carle, Irwin(?) already competing for bottom pairing spots I'm not sure we come to terms with Lepisto. He would most likely be looking for guaranteed number of games in NHL and I don't see us committing to that.

He's already 31, so my guess is that it's a guaranteed number of games or he stays in KHL.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Kinda want to see us add Trouba without losing anything but picks just to PO the rest of the NHL
trololololol

That would be cute, but let's be fair - they'd ask for Ekholm and they'd be right to do so and we shouldn't do that.

The truly deluded will try to say "what do we have to add to get Josi". These fools will be set on fire.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
There's two possible outcomes to that:
1) Promptly matched and Cheveldayoff sends Poile a thank-you fruit basket, or
2) We lose him or Ellis in the expansion draft.

Yeah, if Trouba wanted out of Winnipeg, an offer sheet would be the dumbest thing he could do. In addition to the wasted picks since he would be claimed in expansion draft.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I didn't stinking think of the expansion draft! I hate these new rules! Why were they not active during our expansion period?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Because these days the NHL doesn't want a team to come into the league and suck for the next 10 years.

we only sucked for 5. Minnesota made the conference finals in year 3. So we are changing the whole system because Columbus and Atlanta had crappy GM's?? :laugh:

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Forget Trouba, getting Tobias Reider would be pretty sick. Probably would cost a good prospect and pick for a guy that is going to be a consistent 20G scorer.

Reider Joey Neal
Forsberg Ribs Smith
Wilson Fisher Jarnrok
Salomaki Sissons Arvidsson
Watson

Now that is a dangerous lineup.

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Forget Trouba, getting Tobias Reider would be pretty sick. Probably would cost a good prospect and pick for a guy that is going to be a consistent 20G scorer.

Reider Joey Neal
Forsberg Ribs Smith
Wilson Fisher Jarnrok
Salomaki Sissons Arvidsson
Watson

Now that is a dangerous lineup.

I second this. Though maybe swap Reider for FF or Smith.

There would be so many different combos you could do with the top 9 and every line would be lethal

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I've been thinking the same ever since I saw those threads about Coyotes having trouble signing him.

I recall Rieding that he's done well in World Cup.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Rieder has lowered his asking price too. Was 4,5 mil before, now willing to sign a 2 year bridge at 2,5 mil per according to McKenzie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad