The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I think this means two things:

1. Poile's interview with one of the forwards he wanted went really well.
2. Poile has selected a depth d man he think he can get cheaper than Jackman.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I think this means two things:

1. Poile's interview with one of the forwards he wanted went really well.
2. Poile has selected a depth d man he think he can get cheaper than Jackman.

I would have to agree. We should all know by now how smart and crafty Poile is. He said that he was going to make numbers work to improve this team and I think that's exactly what he's doing right now.

He had to have had a great talk with one of the FA forwards and a depth guy he has in mind and he's doing the math to put it all together.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Schultz, Polak or Schenn please.

One thing I don't like about this is, that whose now gonna be the one to drop the gloves if necessary? No more Weber, Gaustad, Nystrom and now Jackman to do it.

I guess Neal, Bitetto, Subban, Mike "Tyson" Fisher, Bass and Ellis will do in that department, but it's just that I'd rather have Subban, Fish, Ellis and Neal on the ice as much as possible and not sitting in the box for fighting, which would mean that the role of dropping the gloves would fall on Bass and Bitetto.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN

which would mean that the role of dropping the gloves would fall on Bass and Bitetto.

I'm fine with Bass dropping the gloves. Kind of what he's here for.

Those 3 d listed I would be fine with as well. Polak and Schenn go against the speed we're trying to accomplish but would do well for a shut down pairing.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN

One thing I don't like about this is, that whose now gonna be the one to drop the gloves if necessary? No more Weber, Gaustad, Nystrom and now Jackman to do it.

I guess Neal, Bitetto, Subban, Mike "Tyson" Fisher, Bass and Ellis will do in that department, but it's just that I'd rather have Subban, Fish, Ellis and Neal on the ice as much as possible and not sitting in the box for fighting, which would mean that the role of dropping the gloves would fall on Bass and Bitetto.

This analysis is why I would NOT want Polak given the Preds system: https://hockeypdocast.com/2016/06/10/evaluating-defensemen-through-the-neutral-zone/

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Hartnell trade could also be finally coming to fruition, especially with CBJ reportedly willing to eat a bunch of salary.

with who going the other way? If we send Wilson and CBJ eats half the salary that opens up 1,562,500 in cap space.

Wilson - 3,937,500 cap hit
Hartnell @ 50% retained - $2,375,000

Cap Space from move $1,562,500

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
with who going the other way? If we send Wilson and CBJ eats half the salary that opens up 1,562,500 in cap space.

Wilson - 3,937,500 cap hit
Hartnell @ 50% retained - $2,375,000

Cap Space from move $1,562,500

I doubt it would be wilson, as CBJ is trying to clear their cap situation as well. Likely a picks\prospects type deal...maybe a low impact roster player like Watson.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
No to Hartnell. While, I'd love to have him back, his NTC would cause us to expose either Ellis or Smith in the expansion draft. With Poile wanting to protect 4 d-men, having to tie up one of the 4 forward spots with Hartnell would be idiotic.

Edit: Just saw that he waived his NMC. Does this mean that it is no longer valid (i.e. not requiring protection for expansion draft), or just that he will allow a trade? That would be the key factor in whether or not Poile would be interested.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
No to Hartnell. While, I'd love to have him back, his NTC would cause us to expose either Ellis or Smith in the expansion draft. With Poile wanting to protect 4 d-men, having to tie up one of the 4 forward spots with Hartnell would be idiotic.

Edit: Just saw that he waived his NMC. Does this mean that it is no longer valid (i.e. not requiring protection for expansion draft), or just that he will allow a trade? That would be the key factor in whether or not Poile would be interested.

I believe the accepting club would have to agree to honor the NMC, otherwise its void when the player waives it

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Since teams are allowed to ask players to waive their NMC prior to the expansion draft, we could ask him to do that (possibly let Columbus talk to him before a trade is completed).

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I believe the accepting club would have to agree to honor the NMC, otherwise its void when the player waives it

I'm pretty sure that's only correct when trading for a player like Subban, whose NTC/NMC hasn't kicked in yet. Preds can choose whether or not to honor that. But if the traded player has a NTC/NMC already in effect, it's part of the contract and waiving it to go to a new team does not nullify it. Hartnell's NMC will still be in effect.

Otherwise why would the Jackets have left it on his contract when THEY traded for him?

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Hartnell does not fit in with what Poile's trying to build. He wants speed and Hartnell is not that guy. I don't see that being an answer. It also appears Poile is trying to make this roster one that competes for the next 5-6 years and adding a mid 30's player does not fit that mold either.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Assuming we look at a faster bottom pairing D at some point, I think Poile's budget for a forward is somewhere around $4-$5. This would eliminate Erikson and Ladd. I'm thinking maybe Vanek or someone more of that ilk.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I wonder if Poile takes a cheap flier on Matt Greene, who is being bought out by the Kings. He's had some bad injury issues (only 3 games last season), but would likely come very cheap because of it. Tough as nails, gritty defender for the PK and brings a ton of leadership. Also a RHD. Not necessarily mobile, but I'd assume at a cheaper price point than Jackman was going to cost.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I'm starting to think Mikkel Boedker makes sense here. probably in the 4-5 million range and he's 26. Also the fastest out of all UFA's available.

It makes sense if we're going for a speed type game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad