The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
Hey guys, I'm new to posting around here! Been reading what you guys say for probably two years now and I figured it might be the time for me to join!
So does anyone have any further details on us acquiring Eriksson? Would be veeeeeery deadly on our top line with Nealer and Joey. I'd like to see one of him or Boedker joining us in the off-season.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
They will be two of the most sought-after FA forwards on the market this season. Based on history, the chances either of them realistically wind up signing with us is pretty slim.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
My off-season plan:

1. Get a top six forward: I'm fine with doing this one of two ways: either you sign Eriksson/Boedker/Staal/Backes/Ladd/Hudler/etc. or you trade Ellis/Ekholm for a legit player (RNH/Eberle/etc.) and sign Yandle/Campbell/Goligoski/Hamhuis to take that spot. Getting a guy like Bozak for a 2nd is fine, but I don't think someone we can get for lesser parts is going to put us over the top. MAYBE Fiala instead of Ellis/Ekholm, but I don't think we'll get as much for him as people would like. I personally don't care if we get a center or a winger. If we get a winger, move Forsberg to center.

2. Fix the bottom six: Bring in two really good bottom six guys. Make the rest of the current roster and prospects battle it out. Waive/trade the remnants. We just didn't get secondary scoring in the playoffs and that killed us. I would honestly be fine with four of our bottom sixers next year being guys that aren't currently on the roster. Shuffle pieces around to make something that works.

3. Address defensive depth: Bring in a guy to play #5 dman, push Jackman and Bitetto to #6 and #7, then bring in another Stefan Elliot type guy as a call up option.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Realistically, where does a free agent acquisition fit? We have a young group - Flip, Neal, Smith, Wilson, Fiala, Arvy, Hook and Joey, along with 2 aging Cs. We have 4th line pieces in Watson, Miikka, Sissons and maybe Bourque.

How does Poile actually fit an expensive acquisition into that group? It's only partly the dollars - if you go through that group, who can you realistically upgrade? Arvy? Hook? For what it would cost, who's gonna' do that?

Unless you get creative with Ribs - and no one is taking him and we're not buying him out - there isn't really a top 6 spot available.

I could see us add a bottom 6 guy and let a contract or two go, but even moving Wilson or Smith to upgrade seems hard with our budget. and given our age, I think you would expect a net increase in performance coming yet anyway.

As for the D, we're gonna' sign Granberg, and hopefully he's gonna' work into more play. Potato is fine, Jackman works as a #7 that you can play when you need more experience. and if we don't sign Granberg, we'll sign a guy like that to be #7 and maybe start working into Jackman's spot.

We only lose Goose's salary - it's not like we're coming into a ton of budget flexibility.

I just think that's realistic, not necessarily what I would like, or what I think we need. I think we need a 2C for sure, but we have the 2 old guys, and even if we moved them to 3C and 4C, we'd end up skating Hook there. The piece I really think we need is someone like Klein, who lets us reduce Weber's PK time. Just like with Fish, he plays such a physical game, it just has to wear on you physically and we need him a little fresher - or we need Ellis to find another level where we're not so dependent on Webs for things like PP.

Last edited:

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Hey guys, I'm new to posting around here! Been reading what you guys say for probably two years now and I figured it might be the time for me to join!
So does anyone have any further details on us acquiring Eriksson? Would be veeeeeery deadly on our top line with Nealer and Joey. I'd like to see one of him or Boedker joining us in the off-season.

Welcome!

But I say that as a "newb" to the Preds too. I came around these parts following what happens to Hodgson's career and stayed cuz the fans are genuine awesome (other than the odd dork, lol). Truly, the Preds should thank their Preds fans for gathering a following because it ain't necessarily the players on the ice who draw new blood in ;-)

And bonus for you - joining up AFTER the fail means you'll never be plugged in as a bagwaggoner, lol. You're safe here - good guys on these forums. Welcome.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
I totally feel ya. I just think it would be cool to see them add something to make them over the top offensively. Unless Wilson steps up and performs how he did regularly next season.
I like the idea of adding to our bottom 6 though.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
Okay cool. I really enjoy reading what everyone has to say. I have gotten many laughs from you guys.
I've been a fan since I was in middle school. Originally a Memphian, I moved here about 7-8 months ago and it's been like heaven because now I can go to games all the time and no one judges me for how deeply I love this team. Lol. Nashville is my city.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
Welcome!

But I say that as a "newb" to the Preds too. I came around these parts following what happens to Hodgson's career and stayed cuz the fans are genuine awesome (other than the odd dork, lol). Truly, the Preds should thank their Preds fans for gathering a following because it ain't necessarily the players on the ice who draw new blood in ;-)

And bonus for you - joining up AFTER the fail means you'll never be plugged in as a bagwaggoner, lol. You're safe here - good guys on these forums. Welcome.

I'm trying to figure out how to post on here so cut me some slack. Lol

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
What would you guys do to Gaustad in the offseason? Let him walk away or try to resign him real cheap? What kind of money do you think he'll get on the FA market? He's surely declined, but he's the only faceoff beast we've got. Hard to see anyone else on this team go 59,4% on 143 faceoffs in the postseason, or will Sissons get there?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Realistically, where does a free agent acquisition fit? We have a young group - Flip, Neal, Smith, Wilson, Fiala, Arvy, Hook and Joey, along with 2 aging Cs. We have 4th line pieces in Watson, Miikka, Sissons and maybe Bourque.

How does Poile actually fit an expensive acquisition into that group? It's only partly the dollars - if you go through that group, who can you realistically upgrade? Arvy? Hook? For what it would cost, who's gonna' do that?

Unless you get creative with Ribs - and no one is taking him and we're not buying him out - there isn't really a top 6 spot available.

I could see us add a bottom 6 guy and let a contract or two go, but even moving Wilson or Smith to upgrade seems hard with our budget. and given our age, I think you would expect a net increase in performance coming yet anyway.

As for the D, we're gonna' sign Granberg, and hopefully he's gonna' work into more play. Potato is fine, Jackman works as a #7 that you can play when you need more experience. and if we don't sign Granberg, we'll sign a guy like that to be #7 and maybe start working into Jackman's spot.

We only lose Goose's salary - it's not like we're coming into a ton of budget flexibility.

I just think that's realistic, not necessarily what I would like, or what I think we need. I think we need a 2C for sure, but we have the 2 old guys, and even if we moved them to 3C and 4C, we'd end up skating Hook there. The piece I really think we need is someone like Klein, who lets us reduce Weber's PK time. Just like with Fish, he plays such a physical game, it just has to wear on you physically and we need him a little fresher - or we need Ellis to find another level where we're not so dependent on Webs for things like PP.

Very valid points. And budget is going to be a issue if people want to admit it or not. The issue is we only have 4 top 6 guys RJ, Neal, FF9, and Smith and Smith is weak IMO as all know. The remainder of the forwards are 4th line or borderline 3rd liners. RJ, FF9 and Neal are needing contracts within two years and the stability of the CAP is still in question. The team has to have a better back-up goalie with Rinne aging its not an option to cheap out at back-up any longer. They have a load of guys to fill the 4th line but again the 3rd is barren. The Granberg situation is odd he nor Bitettio could not fill in for a top 4 now but both could be sheltered on the 3rd pair, I see both as being the 7th guy and what does Jackman have left?

For what ever reason the team averaged just over 2 goals per game in the playoffs and had difficulty most of the regular season putting together wins. They had a two week period later that locked in the playoff position. The team needs to be deeper in all areas now to take that next step and it will be disappointing if Poile just stands pat for more young guys. And that is exactly what I expect him to do.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Very valid points. And budget is going to be a issue if people want to admit it or not. The issue is we only have 4 top 6 guys RJ, Neal, FF9, and Smith and Smith is weak IMO as all know. The remainder of the forwards are 4th line or borderline 3rd liners. RJ, FF9 and Neal are needing contracts within two years and the stability of the CAP is still in question. The team has to have a better back-up goalie with Rinne aging its not an option to cheap out at back-up any longer. They have a load of guys to fill the 4th line but again the 3rd is barren. The Granberg situation is odd he nor Bitettio could not fill in for a top 4 now but both could be sheltered on the 3rd pair, I see both as being the 7th guy and what does Jackman have left?

For what ever reason the team averaged just over 2 goals per game in the playoffs and had difficulty most of the regular season putting together wins. They had a two week period later that locked in the playoff position. The team needs to be deeper in all areas now to take that next step and it will be disappointing if Poile just stands pat for more young guys. And that is exactly what I expect him to do.

So you're saying we don't have the space to go after acquisitions to our top-6, but you'll be disappointed if we don't do that?

The truth is we don't have a lot cap space to go after the big names, and if would have, I don't think they'd even come here. Middle-6 center acquisition, a backup goalie and bottom 2 d-man would all be very welcomed, but won't lose sleep if we don't sign anyone. I believe in our forward core as it is, with Arvy rising and Fiala coming next year, which I can't personally wait. Hopefully, Wilson can bounce back and have a better season.

Also, agreed with deanwormer, we need a more reliable bottom-2 pairing, who can eat more minutes from the top-4. A guy like Roman Polak might come here, he could be reunited with Jax.

I wouldn't be opposed to resigning Hutton for one more year, at times he looked a lot better than Rinne. But Lavy and co. need to trust him more than they've had 'cause Rinne needs more rest.

Here's what I'd like to see next season:

Wilson/Fiala-Joey-Neal
Forsberg-Ribs-Smith
Wilson/Fiala-Fisher-Jarny/Arvy
Salomaki-Sissons-Bourque/Watson

Top 4
Bitetto-Jax/UFA

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
So you're saying we don't have the space to go after acquisitions to our top-6, but you'll be disappointed if we don't do that?

The truth is we don't have a lot cap space to go after the big names, and if would have, I don't think they'd even come here. Middle-6 center acquisition, a backup goalie and bottom 2 d-man would all be very welcomed, but won't lose sleep if we don't sign anyone. I believe in our forward core as it is, with Arvy rising and Fiala coming next year, which I can't personally wait. Hopefully, Wilson can bounce back and have a better season.

Also, agreed with deanwormer, we need a more reliable bottom-2 pairing, who can eat more minutes from the top-4. A guy like Roman Polak might come here, he could be reunited with Jax.

I wouldn't be opposed to resigning Hutton for one more year, at times he looked a lot better than Rinne. But Lavy and co. need to trust him more than they've had 'cause Rinne needs more rest.

Here's what I'd like to see next season:

Wilson/Fiala-Joey-Neal
Forsberg-Ribs-Smith
Wilson/Fiala-Fisher-Jarny/Arvy
Salomaki-Sissons-Bourque/Watson

Top 4
Bitetto-Jax/UFA

Yes there is a need for two top 6 guys for sure and there is contracts that could be moved out to land a 5 to 6 mil dollar player for the 2nd line. The decision needs to be made what players we intend to put into that position If Fiala and Kamenev are the future 2nd line then Smith and Wilson are both expendable that would free 8 mil in cap to snag that winger to play with them eventually and free up 3 mil to get a 2C to play until Kamenve is ready there. Of course you would have to add to the 3 mil to get that guy but if you free up 8 mil Smith, Wilson add 2 mil more you upgrade the 2nd. Then you have Fish Jarnkrok, Arviddson. Salomaki, for the 3rd. Granted that's not a sexy 3rd line but it would be progress.

One thing I can not see in 3 or 4 years is Jarnkrok, Arvidsson, Fiala all on this team. There size is the limiting factor but that is for another day. shuffling salary out and improving the 2nd line while budgeting for Neal, FF9 and RJ's contracts would be a top priority. As for Hutton im not sold the guy could play 20 games in a back-up role and be as effective as he is playing 10 games. And Rinnes decline we have to hope is due to overwork meaning he needs to start fewer games if not then were screwed for a while.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
My off-season plan:

1. Get a top six forward: I'm fine with doing this one of two ways: either you sign Eriksson/Boedker/Staal/Backes/Ladd/Hudler/etc. or you trade Ellis/Ekholm for a legit player (RNH/Eberle/etc.) and sign Yandle/Campbell/Goligoski/Hamhuis to take that spot. Getting a guy like Bozak for a 2nd is fine, but I don't think someone we can get for lesser parts is going to put us over the top. MAYBE Fiala instead of Ellis/Ekholm, but I don't think we'll get as much for him as people would like. I personally don't care if we get a center or a winger. If we get a winger, move Forsberg to center.

2. Fix the bottom six: Bring in two really good bottom six guys. Make the rest of the current roster and prospects battle it out. Waive/trade the remnants. We just didn't get secondary scoring in the playoffs and that killed us. I would honestly be fine with four of our bottom sixers next year being guys that aren't currently on the roster. Shuffle pieces around to make something that works.

3. Address defensive depth: Bring in a guy to play #5 dman, push Jackman and Bitetto to #6 and #7, then bring in another Stefan Elliot type guy as a call up option.

That really seems like way too many to add. I'm not agreeing with the budget crowd (plenty of space), but roster spots are all but gone. I agree with a bottom pairing D. Though I can see that focus on Granberg. I'd love to sign Eriksson and push a top-6 (Hook?) down a couple lines, though I don't see that happening.

In all, I'm betting on the Preds staying pat other than a bottom pairing D.

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
Any chance we could go after Nielsen? Would love to have him if we would be able to move Ribeiro.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I doubt anyone takes Ribs off our hands. I bet we can find someone to take Nystrom though (probably will cost us a pick though).

Eriksson would be such a good fit for our team. I really hope it happens. I'd be ok if we dumped Nystrom, Goose, Watson and Bourque and went in next year with.

Eriksson Johansen Neal
Forsberg Ribs Smith
Wilson Fisher Arvidsson
Salomaki Sissons Jarnkrok

That is a decently balanced lineup. Again, I would personally move Fiala if at all possible. The fact they played Aberg and not Fiala tells me management has no faith in the kid. Let's move up in the draft or package him with a true top 6 forward with size and good net presence.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yes there is a need for two top 6 guys for sure and there is contracts that could be moved out to land a 5 to 6 mil dollar player for the 2nd line. The decision needs to be made what players we intend to put into that position If Fiala and Kamenev are the future 2nd line then Smith and Wilson are both expendable that would free 8 mil in cap to snag that winger to play with them eventually and free up 3 mil to get a 2C to play until Kamenve is ready there. Of course you would have to add to the 3 mil to get that guy but if you free up 8 mil Smith, Wilson add 2 mil more you upgrade the 2nd. Then you have Fish Jarnkrok, Arviddson. Salomaki, for the 3rd. Granted that's not a sexy 3rd line but it would be progress.

One thing I can not see in 3 or 4 years is Jarnkrok, Arvidsson, Fiala all on this team. There size is the limiting factor but that is for another day. shuffling salary out and improving the 2nd line while budgeting for Neal, FF9 and RJ's contracts would be a top priority. As for Hutton im not sold the guy could play 20 games in a back-up role and be as effective as he is playing 10 games. And Rinnes decline we have to hope is due to overwork meaning he needs to start fewer games if not then were screwed for a while.

Jarny is the odd man out, although he could flourish as the #3C, getting weaker matchups. Fiala is small, but bulky. He trains like crazy and doesn't get knocked off the puck as easily. I don't know what the future holds for Arvy but he did show some promising signs in the playoffs. Middle 6'er, IMO.

I think Hutton proved he can be a solid backup and we could always share the 20 games Rinne needs to rest, Hutton 15, Saros/Maz 5 or something like that. Looking at the UFA market there aren't really any better options than Hutton. We need that guy to be under 1M$.

Fiala makes the team next season no doubt about it, but Kamenev could use another season in the AHL and maybe replace some injuries.

I don't think there's any point of moving Smith or Wilson, at least this summer. We need those guys next season, Smith will hit 20 again, Wilson will light it up in the playoffs.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Any chance we could go after Nielsen? Would love to have him if we would be able to move Ribeiro.

Why do seriously people want to move Ribs? 50-point #2C, and I'm thinking he could put up more next season as he doesn't face the toughest matchup anymore. Yeah, he was weak in the postseason but it doesn't automatically dismiss the two great reg. season performances that he has had for us.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Was Wilson one of our best players/performers in the post season? Yes.

But he was abysmal and invisible during the regular season. 24 pts in 64 games for $4 million a year is not even close to acceptable. I think you atleast consider moving him or see what you can get as a return for him.

If it's not up to snuff on our end, keep him and hope he can find that playoff type of performance consistently through the regular season and the post season. Otherwise, I'm open to moving him.

On the UFA side, I don't understand what some of you are saying about how we may swing and miss on bigger named UFA's. I don't believe that. If you've watched player reactions, coaches reactions, what players say about our fans; players know Nashville is a hockey town. We were a game shy of seeing the WCF. No reason we can't make a similar run next year and possibly further with maybe 1 or 2 pieces of secondary or increased primary scoring, i.e Boedker/Eriksson.

On defense, if Luke Schenn (which I believe he is) is available sign him as a #5. Big boy, big hitter and can eat minutes.

There's no reason we can't offer money and bring one of these bigger named UFA's in. I'd be open to Hudler for sure, as well.

Last edited:

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Was Wilson one of our best players/performers in the post season? Yes.

But he was abysmal and invisible during the regular season. 24 pts in 64 games for $4 million a year is not even close to acceptable. I think you atleast consider moving him or see what you can get as a return for him.

If it's not up to snuff on our end, keep him and hope he can find that playoff type of performance consistently through the regular season and the post season. Otherwise, I'm open to moving him.

On the UFA side, I don't understand what some of you are saying about how we may swing and miss on bigger named UFA's. I don't believe that. If you've watched player reactions, coaches reactions, what players say about our fans; players know Nashville is a hockey town. We were a game shy of seeing the WCF. No reason we can't make a similar run next year and possibly further with maybe 1 or 2 pieces of secondary or increased primary scoring, i.e Boedker/Eriksson.

On defense, if Luke Schenn (which I believe he is) is available sign him as a #5. Big boy, big hitter and can eat minutes.

There's no reason we can't offer money and bring one of these bigger named UFA's in. I'd be open to Hudler for sure, as well.

Every single year we say we need to sign a real top-six forward and every single year we get rejected by all the decent ones out there. I mean we sign guys who end up as top-six once they get here but they aren't necessarily that type of player on a lot of other teams. Will this finally be the off-season where we get a legitimate forward to sign here? I'd like to think we're a pretty attractive option.

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
Why do seriously people want to move Ribs? 50-point #2C, and I'm thinking he could put up more next season as he doesn't face the toughest matchup anymore. Yeah, he was weak in the postseason but it doesn't automatically dismiss the two great reg. season performances that he has had for us.

Only willing to move Ribs if we would bring more solid option to the team (I think Nielsen is better). I think Ribs is a bit lazy and don't like the fact that he is bad at the dot. Then on the other hand I know that it is more than likely that we will do only minor updates to the team and mostly upgrade from within organisation. Which is completely fine by me.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
There's no way we can afford Eriksson, he'll be looking at 7 million.

and he just might. If that's the case, move on. Boedker is still a good option and I think he'll be around 5-5.5 per or Hudler who could be an attractive short term option at 2yrs around 3.75-4.25 per. (guessing at dollar amounts)

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
I know it's not the sexy "Let's sign a top free agent", but I say we just sign some depth at D and center.

Don't forget, Johansen played around half the year. Wilson shows he is a beast. Neal is much better with Johansen.

I say keep the team intact, hope maybe Fiala is ready, and sign a veteran D and forward for depth. Knowing Poile, I think that is what he will do, too.

It's a huge IF, but if Wilson can play half as good as playoff Wilson, this is a contending team all year and can get a home advantage series in the playoff. This team should have been playing the Blues last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad