The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Cap hits, actual salary and recapture penalty are all three different things.

If we were to trade Weber after his $12 million seasons, the recapture penalty would be $33 million split over how many seasons he had left on his deal at the time he retired. I think that's what he's eluding to more than anything. Moving Weber before July 1 would put us around a $24 million recapture penalty divided by the years remaining on his contract at the time he retired.

The only time to move or to have moved Weber was before his second bonus was due or after year 13 on his deal. Those recapture penalties would be in the $6 million dollar range. One year at that hit isn't great but it isn't awful and if we had moved him after the first year it would've been a little over $6 million split over the years remaining on his contract at the time of retirement which would've meant at worst case scenario around $6 million for one year or $3 million for 2 years etc.
My bad I completely missed the recapture part of the post. But thanks for the explanation as I wasn't completely sure on it anyway.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
With Nystrom Fisher Ribeiro gone then its not so bad. Also IF (big possibility) the the cap raises a few million. Sign Jones and FF to bridge deals that take you to the end of the Clarkson deal and its manageable.

I know that contract is beyond horrible but its still manageable. I think Ellis and Wilson/Smith (you should love this) are good prices to pay if we get to get RyJo and have to take on Clarkson.

I would be extremely surprised if its Clarkson and not Hartnell.

As bad I dislike Smith and think his contract will be hard to move as soon next year especially if hes on 3rd line as some have said when the kids come up. I still would want to get some return from him. Im not saying he is a major chip for anything at this point with that contract but you must get some value out of any move.

This first thing I heard this morning was from a friend in Toronto about the Clarkson thing. WHat he told me was that its Jones for RYJO and Clarkson. I don't know many of his sources I have known the guy for a long time he used to play with Sully's brother and we have kept in touch. If Jones is involved it keeps us from having to sign him but that Clarkson contract is a big chit sammich to eat in order to get a 1C with warts. Its a start in the right direction if it happens but theres a boatload of contracts next summer then The next 4 big ones come off with three critical players to replace. Ribs. Fish Neal all will need replaced or contracts.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Well if its Hartnell or Clarkson we still need to clear some space. That's why I think if its Clarkson than Nystrom is going the other way.

But like I mentioned before, its most likely a Jones+Wilson deal for RyJo and Hartnell. It makes sense and it would fit under the cap.

Nystrom has a NTC hes not going anywhere.

Exactly where is the value in the trade from Cloumbus standpoint moving RYJO + Hartnell ? Jones and a downgrade from Hartnell? With the exception of the last couple years of Hartnells contract. Where he may be worse than Wilson or Smith. It does not make sense for them. Im sure they would have better offers somewhere else.

Last edited:

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
It's kind of scary that everyone is hanging on the word of Eklund. The same guy that put on "E5" on us trading for Ovi a couple of years ago. I put an E10 on that he's full of ****

Like him or not (I know I don't), he absolutely does have some sources, he breaks at least one trade each year it seems and he does have a better track record with the Preds than most if not all other teams. Either way, it's a trade that makes sense and is worth discussing.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Nystrom has a NTC hes not going anywhere.

Hartnell has a NMC and he got moved without him asking for it. It can happen. If a team tells you they don't want you, you are sometimes better off elsewhere.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Considering how Poile has done things with contracts in the past I have a hard time believing he is willing to eat that Clarkson contract, even for a 1C.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Hartnell has a NMC and he got moved without him asking for it. It can happen. If a team tells you they don't want you, you are sometimes better off elsewhere.
Many players have waived there NTC. Nystrom has no reason to Lavi likes the guy he seems to like to play here and he would be waiving to go to Columbus with Torts and a team that is making a run to the bottom of the league.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
while I don't usually listen to much Eklund has to say for obvious reasons...this rumor between us and Columbus has picked up a lot of steam over the last 24-48 hours.

Poile is smart enough to realize that we're in a state where it seems like we win one and then drop one or two. I don't know the actual numbers of late but Poile has to know that he has to make a move.

I think Johansen + Hartnell makes sense. I'm more interested in what we'd be trading to CBJ. I hope this actually comes to fruition. Johansen and Hartnell would do wonders in our lineup.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
while I don't usually listen to much Eklund has to say for obvious reasons...this rumor between us and Columbus has picked up a lot of steam over the last 24-48 hours.

Poile is smart enough to realize that we're in a state where it seems like we win one and then drop one or two. I don't know the actual numbers of late but Poile has to know that he has to make a move.

I think Johansen + Hartnell makes sense. I'm more interested in what we'd be trading to CBJ. I hope this actually comes to fruition. Johansen and Hartnell would do wonders in our lineup.
Decided to look. Since our 7-1-1 start here are our results. This starts on Oct. 31 and doesn't look great:

OT Loss
Loss
Win
Loss
Win
SO Loss
Win
Win
Loss
Loss
Loss
Win