TV: The Flash (CW)

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Maybe I overhyped myself but I expected a lot more from that episode. I know they can't do big budget stuff but this was hyped as Gorilla City and we didn't see much of it. I would have liked to see how this city developed from when Grodd was sent, or Flash doing more than Just being prisoner. Also it seemed odd that the actress who played Gypsy was listed in this episode but didn't appear till the end, and it was a predictable way to set up next week.

Basically I was hoping for this epic event and came out of it thinking this is a pretty average episode of Flash.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, they hyped it up, but if it's a multiweek event (and it seems like it is), then maybe next week will justify it.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Yeah, they hyped it up, but if it's a multiweek event (and it seems like it is), then maybe next week will justify it.

If they find a way to get back to Gorilla City for some reason even though the battle is taking place in Central City, I will probably like it. I'm hoping it will be good but my expectations have been lowered.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
What they showed of it though looked really good for a TV show. Like damn that looked nice at least. Props for that.

I might have hyped myself up too much as well, would have liked a few episodes maybe over there dealing with Grodd but maybe I'll get some of that at least back on E1. Was still an enjoyable episode and glad to see Harry again.

Also Tom Cavanagh is the man. Acting with so many variations of his character along with Grodd stuff.

Last edited:

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
What they showed of it though looked really good for a TV show. Like damn that looked nice at least. Props for that.

I might have hyped myself up too much as well, would have liked a few episodes maybe over there dealing with Grodd but maybe I'll get some of that at least back on E1. Was still an enjoyable episode and glad to see Harry again.

Also Tom Cavanagh is the man. Acting with so many variations of his character along with Grodd stuff.

I guess that's what my issue with the episode was. It was "Flash: Gorilla City", yet we only saw a basement, an Arena, and a Gorilla statue. Now next week most of it is probably going to take place in Central City, so Gorilla City was more of an afterthought. In retrospect though, what we did see was pretty good, and yes Tom Canvangh is a terrific actor. His Grodd was a tad scary.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Anyone think it's a possibility he stays on Earth 1 when Jessie tells him she's staying? I don't see him leaving her and I don't see her going back since they want to give Kid Flash a love interest. Would be kinda cool to have both personalities of Wells, though I'm not sure how hard that is on the budget.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Anyone think it's a possibility he stays on Earth 1 when Jessie tells him she's staying? I don't see him leaving her and I don't see her going back since they want to give Kid Flash a love interest. Would be kinda cool to have both personalities of Wells, though I'm not sure how hard that is on the budget.

I'm thinking he at least might be the Wells that Barry and Cisco saw when they looked again at the future. He could stay. I think only one will be around again eventually. Would be cool to have him back.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I guess that's what my issue with the episode was. It was "Flash: Gorilla City", yet we only saw a basement, an Arena, and a Gorilla statue. Now next week most of it is probably going to take place in Central City, so Gorilla City was more of an afterthought. In retrospect though, what we did see was pretty good, and yes Tom Canvangh is a terrific actor. His Grodd was a tad scary.

I think the special effects budget this week got pretty well blown by that arena scene. It was pretty impressive CGI for a TV show on a budget like the CW has to offer.

I want that Harry back. I really hate the fraud Harry. I hate Grodd even more.

Re: both comments on Cavanagh/Wells - Tom Cavanagh is supremely talented. Playing so many variations of the same character is a major feat. I also like "Harry" from Earth 2 a great deal more than HR, but HR has his own bizarre charm that he brings. I do miss Harry/Professor Wells' "I'm the smartest man in the room" aura, but they've managed to make this "idea man" version of HR actually work into the team dynamic, which I find quite impressive.

I wonder about next season, though - does it become a trope that they reboot Wells' character each year? Or does someone stick with the team? I do find it hard to believe Harry would stay behind on Earth 2 with Jesse deciding to move to Earth 1. She's everything to him.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I think the special effects budget this week got pretty well blown by that arena scene. It was pretty impressive CGI for a TV show on a budget like the CW has to offer.

Re: both comments on Cavanagh/Wells - Tom Cavanagh is supremely talented. Playing so many variations of the same character is a major feat. I also like "Harry" from Earth 2 a great deal more than HR, but HR has his own bizarre charm that he brings. I do miss Harry/Professor Wells' "I'm the smartest man in the room" aura, but they've managed to make this "idea man" version of HR actually work into the team dynamic, which I find quite impressive.

I wonder about next season, though - does it become a trope that they reboot Wells' character each year? Or does someone stick with the team? I do find it hard to believe Harry would stay behind on Earth 2 with Jesse deciding to move to Earth 1. She's everything to him.

I'm thinking he stays and then one of them is killed off. Probably the smart version. Gives a possible character arc for Jessie and then she has no reason to go back to Earth 2.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
I'm thinking he stays and then one of them is killed off. Probably the smart version. Gives a possible character arc for Jessie and then she has no reason to go back to Earth 2.

Someone is apparently dying and right now we got two Harrison Wells. One is banned from his Earth and the other may want to stay if his daughter wants to stay. Very possible one dies.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Maybe it's Earth 2 Wells that dies because we saw Jessie in this episode thinking for a moment that HR Wells was her father so they could make it a bigger story line where Jessie fights with the fact she wants to be with Wally but her own father is dead yet HR is still around reminding her of him. Not an air tight theory but something out there.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I like Violet Beane. She's brought some good energy to the show, but three speedsters full-time?

The Gorilla City episode was fine, I fully expected something like that where not much of the city was shown. TV production budgets. They spent most of it on that arena Barry vs. Salavar(sp?) scene.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
I like Violet Beane. She's brought some good energy to the show, but three speedsters full-time?

The Gorilla City episode was fine, I fully expected something like that where not much of the city was shown. TV production budgets. They spent most of it on that arena Barry vs. Salavar(sp?) scene.

I heard someone talk about the idea of moving one of Wally/Jesse to Legends.

Maybe a Young Justice coming up? I know there was a tweet around Christmas/New Years with a new show announcement this year. Haven't heard anything since but some pieces could be there with Wally, Jesse, Roy, Artemis (depending on how Arrow goes), etc.

I don't think all 3 will be around full time for Flash. But yeah I really like her and wanted to see more of Jesse Quick since she got her powers.

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
Wasn't Gypsy supposed to be on/from Earth 5? Meaning HR's Earth? What was she doing on Earth 2?

People from their Earth (19) aren't supposed to be traveling to other Earths, for whatever reason, so she hunts them down because she can open up portals to other Earths and bring them home.

Since Grodd was able to trick Earth 2 Wells to go to Gorilla City, I'm assuming he was able to trick Gypsy to go there too. It would probably be as easy as sending out a message that someone from Earth 19 was there that she needed to come capture. Then they used the magic "never miss" blow darts to knock her out and brain control her.

This show is getting beyond confusing with different Earths and timelines.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
People from their Earth (19) aren't supposed to be traveling to other Earths, for whatever reason, so she hunts them down because she can open up portals to other Earths and bring them home.

Since Grodd was able to trick Earth 2 Wells to go to Gorilla City, I'm assuming he was able to trick Gypsy to go there too. It would probably be as easy as sending out a message that someone from Earth 19 was there that she needed to come capture. Then they used the magic "never miss" blow darts to knock her out and brain control her.

This show is getting beyond confusing with different Earths and timelines.

We're gonna need a bigger dry erase board

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
The weirdest choice was making the main villain in this episode "Salovar" when the overarching villain of the season is "Savitar." (I know it was in the comics but come on..for the sake of simplicity...)

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I heard someone talk about the idea of moving one of Wally/Jesse to Legends.

Maybe a Young Justice coming up? I know there was a tweet around Christmas/New Years with a new show announcement this year. Haven't heard anything since but some pieces could be there with Wally, Jesse, Roy, Artemis (depending on how Arrow goes), etc.

I don't think all 3 will be around full time for Flash. But yeah I really like her and wanted to see more of Jesse Quick since she got her powers.

I can see one on Legends next season. That show is smart in that it can revolve people in and out of the Arrowverse at will.

Even with the Ezra Miller movie postponed and possibly may never see the light of day, I still think they should do the rumored "killing" or separation of Barry next season for at least 4-6 episodes. Do it Batman comics style where he's not dead but stuck in some other Earth or time period and has to think his way back to the present.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I can see one on Legends next season. That show is smart in that it can revolve people in and out of the Arrowverse at will.

Even with the Ezra Miller movie postponed and possibly may never see the light of day, I still think they should do the rumored "killing" or separation of Barry next season for at least 4-6 episodes. Do it Batman comics style where he's not dead but stuck in some other Earth or time period and has to think his way back to the present.

I was hoping that would be this season with Flashpoint. When he was able to get back after the first episode, that was a little disappointing because Flashpoint would have allowed him to experience this new world where he was alone and didn't have to depend on Wells, Cisco or Caitlin. It would have brought something fresh to the series too.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Barry is an idiot. I get his whole moral grey area situation with Grodd, but when you have the opportunity to have someone else kill him for you, you take that opportunity. You certainly don't spare Grodd AND keep him in your dimension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad