GDT: The Final Four: Devils @ Canadiens, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
The guy lunged over Kinkaid and crosschecked the guy in the face.

Let's not be homers here. If it would've happened to any of our guys, we would've started a riot if they wouldn't of called anything.

If Ben Lovejoy made the same play, but didn't get the guys grillface with his stick, it would be a great, tough, hockey play. He's extremely fortunate that we got out of that 5 on 3 without losing the game and instead with a lead. Not sure he was that noticeable otherwise, which was a good thing.

Severson should come back in, and that is that. I think coach was giving Severson a short mental break/maintenence and he'll be back for the remainder of season. It was a back to back game, so I wouldn't dig too much into that scratching.

IIRC Dano and Cangi were both surprised by the call and criticized it. LJ wasn't going for a crosscheck to the face, he was trying to check a guy that was hacking at his goaltender. There was no need for a call there, and I've seen much worse go uncalled. We really need to stop with this Stockholm syndrome stuff, the reffing in this league is atrocious, and there's no reason not to criticize it.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
The guy lunged over Kinkaid and crosschecked the guy in the face.

Let's not be homers here. If it would've happened to any of our guys, we would've started a riot if they wouldn't of called anything.

I agree it was definitely a penalty, but it also likely helped save a goal, since the ref had the whistle in his pocket in his coat in the lockerroom when Kinkaid was trying to freeze the puck.

Reactions: glenwo2

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
IIRC Dano and Cangi were both surprised by the call and criticized it. LJ wasn't going for a crosscheck to the face, he was trying to check a guy that was hacking at his goaltender. There was no need for a call there, and I've seen much worse go uncalled. We really need to stop with this Stockholm syndrome stuff, the reffing in this league is atrocious, and there's no reason not to criticize it.

I love Dano but he is no star witness for penalties against the Devils. I do think he is a pretty objective color guy but when it comes to penalties he tends to favor old-school calls plus doesn't want things to go against NJ. And for as much as Cangy has grown on me I don't think his opinion on what is a penalty should carry much weight.

This isn't really Stockholm syndrome. Yes the refs suck a lot. That doesn't mean every call is bad. A cross-check in the face is a penalty and plenty of people would expect it to be if the situation was reversed. Not being upset with a penalty is not some blanket support for the refs in general.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

There's been plenty worse of course uncalled, but its been called that way for a number of seasons now. If you're getting a two handed stick jab to someones face with your stick you're most likely going to get a penalty. It's been that way for for a number of seasons now since the league got softer in penalty calls. As I said, it is a good hockey play except for the face.

If you think that was atrocious, what about earlier in the season when we got jobbed by reffing..... don't think its a situation of stockholm syndrome here.

I think you can say our Overton window has shifted since the league softened the game, but this happened years ago :sarcasm:

I'm not saying Dano is wrong either to want play like that, but just can't be surprised in this league with that kind of play nowadays.

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
There's been plenty worse of course uncalled, but its been called that way for a number of seasons now. If you're getting a two handed stick jab to someones face with your stick you're most likely going to get a penalty. It's been that way for for a number of seasons now since the league got softer in penalty calls. As I said, it is a good hockey play except for the face.

If you think that was atrocious, what about earlier in the season when we got jobbed by reffing..... don't think its a situation of stockholm syndrome here.

I think you can say our Overton window has shifted since the league softened the game, but this happened years ago :sarcasm:

I'm not saying Dano is wrong either to want play like that, but just can't be surprised in this league with that kind of play nowadays.

I agree. I do think it was a penalty but I'm fine if that isn't a penalty as well. I don't agree that it was some egregious call.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I love Dano but he is no star witness for penalties against the Devils. I do think he is a pretty objective color guy but when it comes to penalties he tends to favor old-school calls plus doesn't want things to go against NJ. And for as much as Cangy has grown on me I don't think his opinion on what is a penalty should carry much weight.

This isn't really Stockholm syndrome. Yes the refs suck a lot. That doesn't mean every call is bad. A cross-check in the face is a penalty and plenty of people would expect it to be if the situation was reversed. Not being upset with a penalty is not some blanket support for the refs in general.

I really feel like it's a different situation when a guy is hacking a goalie, like the refs are a lot looser in what players can do to stop that.

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
I really feel like it's a different situation when a guy is hacking a goalie, like the refs are a lot looser in what players can do to stop that.

I personally would let it go as a ref as well in that spot unless I was convinced it was on purpose. That's not where the league is though and that's why I was ok with it. I think most refs call that even if the situation is reversed.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

27erys.jpg

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
not to meme (i'm not) but you mentioned he had looked tired for a stretch of games before (once again, not memeing you, though i know everyone on the forums laughs at it since it's now a joke)

i assume your opinion has changed? or do you still think he's bad in his own end

He had a rough stretch of around 3 games where he was gassed.

That was a long time back though.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

I understand you, I think we didn't get the benefit of doubt giving we are the away team....in Montreal of all places, so the refs didn't give us much margin.

That said, I definitely wouldn't be happy if Hischier was slammed in his face in same way, so i can relate to the call #stockholmsyndrome :)

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
not to meme (i'm not) but you mentioned he had looked tired for a stretch of games before (once again, not memeing you, though i know everyone on the forums laughs at it since it's now a joke)

i assume your opinion has changed? or do you still think he's bad in his own end

Vatanen maintenance day

Reportedly "skating on his own"

IMG_9080.JPG

Reactions: Cheddabombs

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Oh FFS with the Lovejoy penalty. Go back and watch him put his left hand on the dudes shoulder then shove him down, the stick doesn't make contact with his face, he didn't lead with a vicious crosscheck. I'm surprised they even called it there especially already on the PK. It looked bad cause he whiplashed back over Greene's leg.

I want Lovejoy to do that 10 out of 10 times when someone is whacking away repeatedly on Kinkaid without a whistle. If he just stands there and does nothing we'd have 10 straight pages of why LJ didn't do anything.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Oh FFS with the Lovejoy penalty. Go back and watch him put his left hand on the dudes shoulder then shove him down, the stick doesn't make contact with his face, he didn't lead with a vicious crosscheck. I'm surprised they even called it there especially already on the PK. It looked bad cause he whiplashed back over Greene's leg.

I want Lovejoy to do that 10 out of 10 times when someone is whacking away repeatedly on Kinkaid without a whistle. If he just stands there and does nothing we'd have 10 straight pages of why LJ didn't do anything.
ESPECIALLY if it ended up going in

Reactions: JK3

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

He cross checked the guy in the face and got a deuce... the end. It was warranted and on the flip side, if Hall or Hischier would've gotten the same treatment from Alzner, you and many others would've went on a 10 page rant on how the NHL doesn't want us to make the postseason.

His effort was awesome but I'll expect to get a call go against us every single time with a play like that.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Ah yes, argue about Lovejoy for 5 pages. Must be a Devils victory.

Relax.

Everyone's happy we won and if there's certain things that didn't make sense to some, I don't see what the big deal is... there's probably 52 pages of positive reactions so let's not act as if this thread is headed in the dumpster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad