The Europa Universalis IV Thread

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
See you need what is happening in my game where Liege and France are locked in a 50/50 control over the Francian lands. Neither can get an upper hand.

I control about 10%, Spain 40% and Burgandy 50%. Right now what I need is for Spain and the Ottomans to got to war with each other so that they are weakend so I can swoop in and take some territory. Just to New Zealand from the Ottomans along with several of the SE pacific Islands. Asia is a mess right now in my game.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Do revolutions not always spawn in game?

Made it to 1820 and no revolutionary event fired.

I started a quick 1776 USA game and U.K. Became the source of revolution.

So is it jut random and doesn't always fire?

May 27, 2012
Earth
Do revolutions not always spawn in game?

Made it to 1820 and no revolutionary event fired.

I started a quick 1776 USA game and U.K. Became the source of revolution.

So is it jut random and doesn't always fire?

I think there are events that happen and things you can do to trigger it, but there is no guarantee.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
What is the benefit, seems like a bunch of people on reddit purposefully turn their empire revolutionary somehow. Ruthian games seem popular on there too. I didn't even know this country ever existed :laugh:

I was going to do a Qing game next, but I'm thinking of holding off as the new mechanics for China in the next expansion seem interesting.

Might do an India game, but not sure if I want to do Mugal or Hindustan.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
What is the benefit, seems like a bunch of people on reddit purposefully turn their empire revolutionary somehow. Ruthian games seem popular on there too. I didn't even know this country ever existed :laugh:

I was going to do a Qing game next, but I'm thinking of holding off as the new mechanics for China in the next expansion seem interesting.

They're arguably the best government forms in the game.

May 27, 2012
Earth

Revolutionary governments are unreal.

I did a Mughals game. I followed a strategy to form them right away. It took multiple tries since you have to start as the Timurids for it too work. I formed them in 1458 which was rewarding after like 10-15 attempts. The thing that gets you is the instability of the country and rebels popping up.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Decided I hadn't played Plurple in a while. Started off marvellously. Ottoderps gun down Albania first, ignore me. But they're too late and Venice gets Albania instead while Ottomans get a couple of provinces from Serbia. Give's me time to ally Trebizond (every little bit helps), Hungary and Lithuania (Poland declined the PU). Venice also ignores me. Call in Hungary for Land, attack Ottomans while they are surprisingly not doing very well against QQ. Lithuania and Austria not being in the war helps scar off Venice from ganking me. War goes decently well against Ottomans, they annex Trebizond but I manage to take back Thessaly, Macedonia, and Edirne. Regroup and attacked after next truce, and I work myself back to getting all the Greek provinces back from Ottomans as well as a handful of Anatolian provinces. Haven't managed to get the Slavic lands north back yet.

I manage to get Albania, Corfu, Naxos and Negroponte from the Venetians through opportunistic wars, but can't get Crete, Ragusa, or Dalmatia from them due to an alliance with Castille and Provence (who were in a three way battle with Burgundy and England to divide up France who lost the 100 Years War). Also, wars against Ottomans stop because they've allied Russia and Persia. Russia is friendly to me so they won't get called into a war against me, and I at this point have Austria, Hungary, Poland and Lithuania as allies, so they won't attack me either. Doesn't leave me many options.

Forces me to No CB (Best CB) Tunis, where I take their capital and the small ilsland (Djerba). Anything more I can't stomach because of hostile coring cost increase making me want to murder small animals. Instead, I release and diplo-vassalize a Berber minor that never lasts very long (Djerid). Force them to covert to Orthodox and use them to core and convert North Africa for me. After this, Ottomans come to Russia's aid in beating down a surprisingly well performing Great Horde. Here's my chance. Russia loves me, so it only takes a bit of war exhaustion for them to deny Kebab's call to arms. I call in Austria and Lithuania (Hungary and Poland decided to fight each other), put Kebab down for good. Immediately I ally Russia after the war so Ottoman's don't restart their alliance. This all happens by about 1550. Over the next 150 years, I systematically wipe the Mamluks and Ottomans from the Near East.

Fast forward to where I am now, 1741. Own all of North Africa east of Morocco, all the Balkans with the exception of Croatia, all of Anatolia, Lower Egypt, the Holy Land, most of Iraq, parts of northern Persia, Crimea, Georgia, and Armenia. I reign over Lithuania in personal union, somehow still managing to keep Russia as an ally despite them coveting my land. Most importantly, I have all of Italy south of Tuscany, Corsica, Sardinia, the Balearic Islands, Catalonia as a vassal, and Gibraltar and the Canary Islands for good measure. Hopefully in these last 80 years I can turbo through the rest of Europe to form the Roman Empire. Haven't managed to do that yet despite trying to do so as some states with much more powerful starting positions.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Have you guys had games where most colonial nations never declared Independence on the AI?

I still can't quit my Germany game. Felt like I had unfinished business at 1820. Ottomans were still in Europe and this needed to be corrected.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
EaGZKkn.jpg

First time I've ever blobbed this much, and I did it purposely to do this. 5700 development (in ~375 provinces or so). Was a mad dash to get it done, almost couldn't. After I annexed Catalonia (whom I used to core Spain and most of France) and Venice, I needed just once province, Zeeland, to form Roman Empire. However, just as I attack, my ally Prussia (whom I failed to call in myself because I didn't need them), sieges Zeeland. I manage to siege Holland (the only fort the Netherlands have left in Europe), hoping that since the Prussian's won't occupy a fort, they can't annex Zeeland.

Turns out I'm wrong and they annex Zeeland anyway. It's 1812 at this point and I probably won't have enough time to break alliance with Prussia, fight them, then get enough warscore to take Zeeland. They're only allied to me and Denmark, and because of sabotage reputation they won't defend Denmark. However, they've guaranteed the Livonian Order, who they will defend. I attack Livonian Order, call in Russia, and I'm really glad I did. I'm packing ~500,000 soldiers at this point, and after destroying Portugal, Spain, and GB, I rule the seas. Prussia has about 200,000, and they have a personal union over Austria who has about 75,000. Russia has ~250,000, and Lithuania my junior PU partner has about 60,000. I had been destroying everyone with my troops, but they had nothing on the Prussians. My 9.3 morale to their 11.8, my 122.5 discipline to their 127.5. Their constant stream of 6/6/x/x generals. For the first time in the entire campaigned I got stack wiped. Was sieging down a mountain fort with ~40,000 units, Prussians walk in with ~70,000 and stack wipe me in less than a week. After three years and about a million men lost between us, I have enough war score to take Zeeland and some other provinces to clean up borders.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Yeah not my proudest borders. Got 5 years to clean it up so we'll see what we can do. My best borders have been my Ayuthaya and Qing games. Qing was probably my most satisfying game. Had a war with Russia where they nearly doubled my force limit but the brunt of our border was in the Tian Shan's. So they threw hundreds of thousands at my mountain forts in low supply provinces. So satisfying.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
As more comes out it appears that East Asia is getting a lot of love in the new expansion.

Banners for Manchu, new Chinese Emperor mechanic, revamping of Japan mechanics, new Shinto mechanics.

Not a fan of the ages stuff though.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
The new mechanics for Confucianism sound pretty interesting. I wish Paradox would just finish this dlc already so I can throw my money at them.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Albania or Iberia surely turned out to be easier achievement than I expected it to be.

albania.jpg

(actually did a YouTube playthrough of it, but enter that at your own peril)

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I'm holding off a Manchu game for this so they need to hury up!

I was waiting to start a Manchu game, but after reading the latest development diary I think I might have to try Japan first. Sounds like they've been pretty much completely redone.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I was waiting to start a Manchu game, but after reading the latest development diary I think I might have to try Japan first. Sounds like they've been pretty much completely redone.

Yeah they have completely reworked both the Shogun system and Shintoism.

Korea seems to have gotten the short end of the stick in this expansion.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
EaGZKkn.jpg

First time I've ever blobbed this much, and I did it purposely to do this. 5700 development (in ~375 provinces or so). Was a mad dash to get it done, almost couldn't. After I annexed Catalonia (whom I used to core Spain and most of France) and Venice, I needed just once province, Zeeland, to form Roman Empire. However, just as I attack, my ally Prussia (whom I failed to call in myself because I didn't need them), sieges Zeeland. I manage to siege Holland (the only fort the Netherlands have left in Europe), hoping that since the Prussian's won't occupy a fort, they can't annex Zeeland.

Turns out I'm wrong and they annex Zeeland anyway. It's 1812 at this point and I probably won't have enough time to break alliance with Prussia, fight them, then get enough warscore to take Zeeland. They're only allied to me and Denmark, and because of sabotage reputation they won't defend Denmark. However, they've guaranteed the Livonian Order, who they will defend. I attack Livonian Order, call in Russia, and I'm really glad I did. I'm packing ~500,000 soldiers at this point, and after destroying Portugal, Spain, and GB, I rule the seas. Prussia has about 200,000, and they have a personal union over Austria who has about 75,000. Russia has ~250,000, and Lithuania my junior PU partner has about 60,000. I had been destroying everyone with my troops, but they had nothing on the Prussians. My 9.3 morale to their 11.8, my 122.5 discipline to their 127.5. Their constant stream of 6/6/x/x generals. For the first time in the entire campaigned I got stack wiped. Was sieging down a mountain fort with ~40,000 units, Prussians walk in with ~70,000 and stack wipe me in less than a week. After three years and about a million men lost between us, I have enough war score to take Zeeland and some other provinces to clean up borders.

I'm super jealous those are some sexy borders well done. I really want to try this now. Were you constantly at war and how was the beginning...difficult?

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Dude how did you do this! How do you win the inevitable first with the the Turks?
Well actually by the time I first fought them, I was the aggressor. It's all recorded in the YT series, but basically I got alliances with Hungary and Austria and IIRC Aragon ASAP and the Ottos crapped their pants.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Ugh, decided to do another game as Byzantium. After a dozen or so re-starts, I had things going well. Got all my cores back in the first war, took three provinces in Anatolia in the second war. Then I got attacked by Venice, which shouldn't have been a problem since I'm allied with Hungary and Albania and the three of us are quite a bit stronger than Venice.

But then Hungary began sieging down one of Venice's provinces, while Albania just had their army walking in circles. That left me to deal with the combined armies of Venice and it's vassals by myself. They wiped out my army in two battles, and sieged down two of my forts ridiculously fast, even though their none of their generals actually had a siege bonus.

Hungary had abandoned their siege on the Venetian province once they got up to 28%. But all they did was move over one province, and then move back and re-start the siege. And that's when the Turkish rebels popped up in my Anatolian provinces.

So when it's all done, three provinces have defected back to Ottomans, and Venice has taken most of Greece. Hungary never even fought in a battle during the war. First time I ever lost a Byzantium game after defeating the Ottomans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad