The Europa Universalis IV Thread

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I am borderline obsessed with this game. Currently trying to get as many achievements as I can.

Particularly proud of "Great Khan" and "Kingdom of Heaven" Currently working on "Switzerlake"

Was thinking if there are enough people active, we could try to do a friendly race (see who gets the achievement first). :)

How about y'all? Like this Paradox game? I just love how open-ended it is and how every time you play a new game, its just a completely different experience. Playing the Knights and trying to form the KoJ is SO different from being a horde country and trying to expand as much as possible.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I have 350 hours played and do not have a single achievement.

I'm at about 450 hours. I never used to try and get achievements till just recently. I found it just make the game a lot more fun (in my view) to have a goal in mind.

Do you play ironman? And what countries do you usually play? My most recent game was a Makassar game. One province minors best minors.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I bought this, played about 5 hours and just couldn't figure it out. Military really has me confused and I don't understand it at all.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I'm at about 450 hours. I never used to try and get achievements till just recently. I found it just make the game a lot more fun (in my view) to have a goal in mind.

Do you play ironman? And what countries do you usually play? My most recent game was a Makassar game. One province minors best minors.

I have not played a single Ironman game before.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I bought this, played about 5 hours and just couldn't figure it out. Military really has me confused and I don't understand it at all.

It's super difficult to understand at first. I mean I have 400 plus hours invested in this game and I am still learning new things about it every time I play.

My first game (as Castille, probably the easiest nation in the game to play), I got annihilated by invading North African Berbers. I had basically no idea what was happening.

It's all about trial and error...the more you play the game, the more you understand how it works. It's worth doing because it's in my view the most fun and varied game around. So much strategy...and like I said before every single game is an entirely new experience.

What about the military aspect of the game was confusing?

Last edited:

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I have not played a single Ironman game before.

You should really give it a shot. Just the fact that you cannot restart completely changes the style of play you choose to embark on.

It's a nice challenge.:) With the 350 plus hours invested that you have, I'm positive you'll love it.

May 27, 2012
Earth

Yeah it's really tough at first. Confusing as hell. Took me a lot of time to figure out what do. After that it's easier to comprehend.

You should really give it a shot. Just the fact that you cannot restart completely changes the style of play you choose to embark on.

It's a nice challenge.:) With the 350 plus hours invested that you have, I'm positive you'll love it.

true. I have thought about doing one. Haven't played the game in a month though.

Ser Jorah Mormont

Lord Friendzone
Sep 3, 2013
Down Under
I am borderline obsessed with this game. Currently trying to get as many achievements as I can.

Particularly proud of "Great Khan" and "Kingdom of Heaven" Currently working on "Switzerlake"

Was thinking if there are enough people active, we could try to do a friendly race (see who gets the achievement first). :)

How about y'all? Like this Paradox game? I just love how open-ended it is and how every time you play a new game, its just a completely different experience. Playing the Knights and trying to form the KoJ is SO different from being a horde country and trying to expand as much as possible.

Good luck getting the Three Mountains :sarcasm:

I also notice there's a bunch of new achievements since I last played, has there been more dlc added?

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Good luck getting the Three Mountains :sarcasm:

I also notice there's a bunch of new achievements since I last played, has there been more dlc added?

There has been indeed. Common Sense was the last major DLC...new patch was just released today. Apparently up to four more DLCs are being worked on by Paradox. Game is turning into Everquest lol. And of course I'll end up buying all four.

And LOL "Three Mountains". Forget that! Don't even think it is possible anymore (since I'm not DDR Jake :laugh:).

"Norwegian Wood" is also a brutal achievement.

Have you been awarded with any achievements?

Last edited:

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Just got Switzerlake yesterday! That is 99 provinces without having a single port.

11934972_10153600982892269_2996441308792089872_n.jpg

It wasn't Great Khan tough, but the aggressive expansion penalties associated with the Holy Roman Empire were just brutal.

I am always so drained after these achievement sessions lol. Probably going to go for an easier one as a sort of lull. Maybe Krabater (create Croatia and then park a unit of calvary in Stockholm).

Ser Jorah Mormont

Lord Friendzone
Sep 3, 2013
Down Under
There has been indeed. Common Sense was the last major DLC...new patch was just released today. Apparently up to four more DLCs are being worked on by Paradox. Game is turning into Everquest lol. And of course I'll end up buying all four.

And LOL "Three Mountains". Forget that! Don't even think it is possible anymore (since I'm not DDR Jake :laugh:).

"Norwegian Wood" is also a brutal achievement.

Have you been awarded with any achievements?

The only "rare" ones I have is Definitely the Sultan of Rum and Die Please Die. The latter was gained thanks to a bug though, I played as the Golden Horde and got it randomly when I had a regency council due to a young king (The regency council was 0/0/0 or something nearly as useless). :laugh:

Seems all my old saves have been corrupted so am gonna have to start over with something new.

Last edited:

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
The only "rare" ones I have is Definitely the Sultan of Rum and Die Please Die. The latter was gained thanks to a bug though, I played as the Golden Horde and got it randomly when I had a regency council due to a young king (The regency council was 0/0/0 or something nearly as useless). :laugh:

I got that one randomly too. Had a 0-0-0 Scottish King...for 50 years. I got the achievement...but that game was living hell lol.

Congrats on the Sultan of Rum...that's an impressive accomplishment. I honestly have never played the Turks...really should try and get that one. The Ottoman AI is so much better than it used to be on a side note.

Any achievements you looking at getting for the future?

Ser Jorah Mormont

Lord Friendzone
Sep 3, 2013
Down Under
I got that one randomly too. Had a 0-0-0 Scottish King...for 50 years. I got the achievement...but that game was living hell lol.

Congrats on the Sultan of Rum...that's an impressive accomplishment. I honestly have never played the Turks...really should try and get that one. The Ottoman AI is so much better than it used to be on a side note.

Any achievements you looking at getting for the future?

The Turks are fun, a tough start and if you get into a war with either of Poland/Lithuania/Muscowy/Golden Horde on one side and the Timurids on the other at the same time It's basically game over. But the most fun game I had was probably on EU3 with Karaman, conquered most of the Eurasian continent with them. I like to play with countries outside the main HRE area as I dislike the restrictions on land grabbing there :sarcasm:

As for achievements, last time I was actively playing I wanted to go for the Jihad achievement so I might give that a try.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
The Turks are fun, a tough start and if you get into a war with either of Poland/Lithuania/Muscowy/Golden Horde on one side and the Timurids on the other at the same time It's basically game over. But the most fun game I had was probably on EU3 with Karaman, conquered most of the Eurasian continent with them. I like to play with countries outside the main HRE area as I dislike the restrictions on land grabbing there :sarcasm:

As for achievements, last time I was actively playing I wanted to go for the Jihad achievement so I might give that a try.

Don't even get me started on the H.R.E. I just dealt with that monster in my Switzerlake game. The A.E. penalties...so so many penalties. That's why I went east as fast as I possibly could.

"Jihad" is ambitious! Now that's an achievement. The new patch nerfed Najd even more if you can believe that.

Starting off with small countries like Karaman and making them fat is just the best. Well done. Eu4 is a much better game in my opinion but I still sometimes miss Eu3. I made a super fat Malaya in Eu3. Conquered practically all of Asia.

Ser Jorah Mormont

Lord Friendzone
Sep 3, 2013
Down Under
Don't even get me started on the H.R.E. I just dealt with that monster in my Switzerlake game. The A.E. penalties...so so many penalties. That's why I went east as fast as I possibly could.

"Jihad" is ambitious! Now that's an achievement. The new patch nerfed Najd even more if you can believe that.

Starting off with small countries like Karaman and making them fat is just the best. Well done. Eu4 is a much better game in my opinion but I still sometimes miss Eu3. I made a super fat Malaya in Eu3. Conquered practically all of Asia.

They nerfed Najd? From what I remember they had ridiculously good religious national modifiers. I'll just have to see what I pick next time I load the game up...

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
They nerfed Najd? From what I remember they had ridiculously good religious national modifiers. I'll just have to see what I pick next time I load the game up...

The amazing national idea tech tree is still there for them, but I believe they nerfed their starting position (start with less provinces or something).

Just looking at all the national idea sets...the Manchu, Najd, and Prussia all have just an insane national idea tree.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
1500 hours... Send help. Probably half multiplayer, half single.

Been trying for world conquest for awhile. Blackjack and 1001 are my rarest achievements.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
1500 hours... Send help. Probably half multiplayer, half single.

Been trying for world conquest for awhile. Blackjack and 1001 are my rarest achievements.

Holy moly. 1500 hours. Putting us to shame.

Man world conquest now is SO difficult with all of the provinces they have added. 1001 provinces in one game is insane...were you basically fighting the entire time? I haven't even come close to that lol.

Blackjack is easier now with client states, but still a great achievement. When I get home today, I am going to see if I could do that with my current Swiss game. I don't think I have enough provinces though.

I want to play more multiplayer! Maybe if there are enough of us on here we can do that... :)

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Blackjack is easy as Austria. HRE swarm is easy by 1550.

For 1001, yes it was constant war trying for WC. Still had to eat Ming, GB, HRE, and South America, so I gave up/lost interest after getting 1001. As Ottomans you can core all of Africa and Asia basically for free by taking it as overseas provinces.

Malmo

Apr 6, 2008
I played a lot of EU3 when I was younger but I couldn't get on EU4 once I played CK2. Eu is a great game, but I enjoy CK way more.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I played a lot of EU3 when I was younger but I couldn't get on EU4 once I played CK2. Eu is a great game, but I enjoy CK way more.

CK2 is more micro...it's ok, but I like the scope and macro focus of EU4.

@StrictlyCommercial: God I really want to try that now. It sounds so stressful though. Great Khan itself was a really stressful game for me. Felt like I had to constantly keep expanding. Can't even imagine world conquest.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
The four paradox games are pretty different. Never got in to HOI but I like the different focus of the three others. The dynasty system got me hooked on CK2, but EUIV is probably a better game. I've got more hours into it then any of the others. Been playing V2 lately.

My problem with EUIV now is mods. I like the changes better than Vanilla but I can't find the right balance. The mod I like the best makes nations too equal, meaning it's next to impossible to conquer India and other weak nations quickly. Which is ahistorical and a little game breaking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->