The Europa Universalis IV Thread

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
True. I'm curious what makes this not an expansion and what the pricing will be in turn.

Orthodox getting some love is great news, and Russia is always an interesting area.

Apparently the giant manpower limit of Russia is gone.

May 27, 2012
Earth
True. I'm curious what makes this not an expansion and what the pricing will be in turn.

Orthodox getting some love is great news, and Russia is always an interesting area.

Apparently the giant manpower limit of Russia is gone.

I'll guess we will find out more with the dev diary tomorrow.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Paradox just lost me as a customer. They have raised the prices of all of their games and DLC (Even the ones that have been out for some time), in some places, like Russia and Brazil, pretty significantly. They state the reason this is, is because of "Purchasing Power". They gave 0 notice about this, and they announced it only after they held their con. Pretty much every country, minus the US, has seen prices go up.

Paradox is doing their best to imitate EA.

May 27, 2012
Earth
If I make a nation with expansion/exploration ideas my vassal will they continue colonizing? I know you can do it for bigger nations like Spain/Portgual if you can get them,

I'm asking because I'm playing a game a Brunei and I vassaled Tidore and I'm about to vassal Ternate. If I give them subsidies will they continue colonizing for me?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I'm probably not going to buy Third Rome until a sale, just because I finished a recent Russia game and don't really want to go back to the region yet.

Going to buy Death and Dishonor instead.

If I make a nation with expansion/exploration ideas my vassal will they continue colonizing? I know you can do it for bigger nations like Spain/Portgual if you can get them,

I'm asking because I'm playing a game a Brunei and I vassaled Tidore and I'm about to vassal Ternate. If I give them subsidies will they continue colonizing for me?

Yes, but as you probably know no nation will take exploration/expansion if they are a vassal (with the exception of colonial nations).

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
^ The Indonesian minors like Ternate, Tidore, Sulu etc. however have colonists in their NIs, so they will colonize even without exploration/expansion.

BTW: would you declare a war at 1:2 odds against the Ottoderps just to break their Unholy Alliance with France?
to_declare.jpg

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
^ The Indonesian minors like Ternate, Tidore, Sulu etc. however have colonists in their NIs, so they will colonize even without exploration/expansion.

BTW: would you declare a war at 1:2 odds against the Ottoderps just to break their Unholy Alliance with France?
to_declare.jpg

A kebab/baguette alliance? You need to crush that ASAP and wipe them off the map.

Also look at all that rightful Candar clay stuck with that unsightly green.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Has anyone tried forming Yuan? I've got a pretty good game going right now as Oirat, expanded quite a bit, and although I'm not there yet, pretty soon I have to start planning how I'm going to take on Ming. Any advice?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Has anyone tried forming Yuan? I've got a pretty good game going right now as Oirat, expanded quite a bit, and although I'm not there yet, pretty soon I have to start planning how I'm going to take on Ming. Any advice?

Yeah. Stay as tribute of Ming, build up to 60-70 force limit (at least) then break tributary. They'll eventually declare war on you to force tributary because you're tanking their mandate. Fight defensively and crush their armies in flatland. Start carving up China. Do not take mandate until you've taken plenty of China.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Tried twice to form Yuan, and had the same results both times. Got huge, took on Ming, and was able to take Beijing in the first war. But then Russia attacked and left me weak enough for Ming to destroy me in the second war.

So I decided to try for the achievement where you have to start as Tabarestan and form Persia, and I think this was probably the luckiest start to a game I've ever had.

First off, I got a 5-5-6 heir right at the start of the game. Then I got attacked by Timurids and became their vassal, which was perfect, since I was too small to get any good allies, but now I had the Ottomans supporting my independence. Just before I start my independence war, I get an event that gives me a 3-5-3-2 general, and also at the same time, Timurids start getting their massive rebellions.
And this is where I couldn't believe my luck. Timurids took out all of the Persian rebels that had spawned, but they just couldn't seem to chase down the Tabarestan rebels that had spawned in the one Timurid province I had a core in. So I started my war, and with the Ottomans at my side, I was able to end the war by taking six provinces. Meanwhile, my loyal rebels were still going strong, and right after the war, I got an additional seven provinces from them. I attacked QQ shortly after to get the one remaining province I needed to form Persia, and since then I've just been in a nearly constant state of expansion.

It's 1551 now, so in my first century I went from a vassal with just two provinces, to this:

691AB34602C140DE069323A239EC79B2AC58E503

I've got alliances with both Ottomans and Muscovy, and there's a few easy wars to get out of the way before I have to start making the tough decisions. Can't really decide which way to go. I could use the Ottomans to help me take over India, or I could choose to stick with Russia as an ally, and turn on the Ottomans. Or maybe turn on Russia and use the Ottomans to help me push north and into Europe. Any ideas?

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Eat Ottos, eat India, eat the world. If you break the Ottos, you've won already.

BTW if any of you want to get the First come first served, For Odin or the Zoroastrian achievement (or any other that allows custom nation start), the Siberian Frontier NI is completely busted and allows for absolutely insane expansion in the New World, making all custom nation achievements into a joke.
vamp1600.jpg

May 27, 2012
Earth
I'm going to bump this.

I just played a game where I would do Abu Bakr II’s Ambition as Mali. I started off by getting rid of Jolof to give me better access to the sea. I also moved my capital to Gabu, reached Admin Tech 5 to get Exploration ideas. I was kind of behind in Diplo points and when 1500 came by Colonialism didn't spawn which surprised me. So I stuck with the end goal of spawning it in Mali. It reached 1508 and it spawned on Gabu, and I was estatic that I got it to spawn. It didn't last long because Portugal had colonies in Beafada and then attack Gabu and I was crushed.

Is there a way to not get attacked by them, or do I just hope they don't do anything?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I was just about to bump this. Played a game through as Iroquois and just started another as Songhai, is there some way to stop Spain from bullying you when you're a low tech civ? Both times they kept abusing me, declaring war and stealing all of my provinces and forcing me to pay them money I didn't have.

I mean, I get it, that's colonialism, but it kind of sucks how they always stick their nose into your business.

My Iroquois game I had the who eastern seaboard of the US from Maine to Florida, but I had to stop at 1762. Out of monarch points, no man power, my troops need +50k in reinforcements, and Portugal/Spain/Britain all entered a military alliance against me :laugh:

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I'm going to bump this.

I just played a game where I would do Abu Bakr II’s Ambition as Mali. I started off by getting rid of Jolof to give me better access to the sea. I also moved my capital to Gabu, reached Admin Tech 5 to get Exploration ideas. I was kind of behind in Diplo points and when 1500 came by Colonialism didn't spawn which surprised me. So I stuck with the end goal of spawning it in Mali. It reached 1508 and it spawned on Gabu, and I was estatic that I got it to spawn. It didn't last long because Portugal had colonies in Beafada and then attack Gabu and I was crushed.

Is there a way to not get attacked by them, or do I just hope they don't do anything?

It's been a long time since I did a Mali game, I can't even really remember what I did about Portugal so I'm afraid I can't really help you there, just wanted to mention that back when I did my Mali playthrough, the achievement was bugged. Not sure what the problem was, but I searched online and found that lots of other people couldn't get the achievement either. Not sure if it was ever fixed.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Okay. I ended up restarting and on my 2nd attempt I couldn't spawn Colonialism again so I just went ahead anyways. Surprisingly, this time no nation colonised near me except France who had one colony near me. At this point I had a colony in Brazil, Columbia, and La Plata. I was working my way to Peru when France threatened to declare war on me if I didn't cede one of my coastal provinces in Africa. It was an easy yes lol.

I got the achievement, Abu Bakr's II Ambition.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Check out the dev diaries for the next patch. Compared to the relatively low content Third Rome patch, this one looks fairly meaty. Huge changes to Arabia, Anatolia, the Near East, and Persia. Particularly like the work they've done to the Timurids. It's going to make it a much nicer place to play.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
How did people enjoy Third Rome and has anyone started a game with Cradle of Civilization yet?

Kebab seems to have been nerfed a bit, and the Mamaluks got a buff.

I’m really curious to try the Timiruds changes.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I was just about to bump this. Played a game through as Iroquois and just started another as Songhai, is there some way to stop Spain from bullying you when you're a low tech civ? Both times they kept abusing me, declaring war and stealing all of my provinces and forcing me to pay them money I didn't have.

I mean, I get it, that's colonialism, but it kind of sucks how they always stick their nose into your business.

My Iroquois game I had the who eastern seaboard of the US from Maine to Florida, but I had to stop at 1762. Out of monarch points, no man power, my troops need +50k in reinforcements, and Portugal/Spain/Britain all entered a military alliance against me :laugh:

It is my understanding you have to play pretty ashistorically. Conquer land, build up points and native buildings and colonize as much land as you can around where Europeans usually first show up. Both to make sure you have a connection really early, but to also limit the amount of colonial nations that can form.

Save up monarch points and reform once a western core appears so you can westernize asap.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
How did people enjoy Third Rome and has anyone started a game with Cradle of Civilization yet?

Yeah. I tried a Karaman run but completely screwed up an extremely lucky start of the Ottoman’s being beat down by Albania and friends (in this case, Hungary and Aragon as allies and Venice as guarantor). So I gave up on that and started a Mamluks. Honestly, in the hands of a player Mamluks are probably one of the easiest nations to play. You get great rulers, numerous expansion opportunities, and it’s easy to gank the Turks when they get into a war with Hungary, Austria, Muscovy etc.

I still haven’t bought Third Rome. I’ll wait until it’s 50% off.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010

Ottomans do seem a bit easier to deal with now. They can still blob pretty easily if you don't take the fight to them however. I've actually found that they seem to really push hard into Hungary early on, though maybe that's just a coincidence since I've only started a few new games with the expansion.

I'm doing a game as Moravia(starting as Bohemia, releasing Moravia as a vassal), where I started a war with Ottomans with France and Russia as my allies. Turns out, I didn't even need my allies. I wiped out a 42k stack by myself in the first battle and absolutely stomped the rest of their armies en route to 99% war score.

One thing I have noticed in my current game, and I'm not sure if this was just some one time thing or if it's indicative of a bug, is that my allies will sometimes just not move their armies for any reason.
For example, this happened to France, and it lasted for about 40 years before their armies went back to normal. They would start a war, and then just stick their entire army in some out of the way province and not fight. At one point they had nationalist rebels spawn, and despite their army outnumbering the rebels 3-1, they still wouldn't fight them or even siege any rebel occupied provinces. Then one day, after about 40-50 years of this nonsense it was as if they just flipped a switch and went back to normal. I thought maybe they had a cowardly ruler but this was not the case, and they actually went through several rulers during this time.

Also, I'm really loving the army professionalism thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad