The ending Matt Duchene thread (Duchene traded to Ottawa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Unfortunately for us that good start has likely only reaffirmed the 'crazy' price Sakic is looking for.

On the flip side, does seeing Duchene's solid play mean Jarmo might be willing to up his offer? Doubtful but, who knows... :dunno:

Agreed. I personally was hoping for a tank job by Colorado and Duchene, where they would almost be forced to trade him.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
People already know what Duchene brings to the table, I don't think his production last year changed whether or not he could be a huge impact player with the right team and Jarmo obviously (well i guess speculate) believes that Duchene is the guy that can put this team over the top. I don't think Jarmo was low balling if he was offering Murray and Milano personally, but I don't think Duchene playing great really changes the teams price there willing to pay.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Agreed. I personally was hoping for a tank job by Colorado and Duchene, where they would almost be forced to trade him.

Obviously its still extremely early in the season so the results are less than certain for any team but, I have to admit if I were Joe I'd definitely still be waiting on someone to meet my original demands after seeing how the Yak-Kerfoot-Duchene line has started the season (since I've waited this dang long, might as well see where this hot start takes me).

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
People already know what Duchene brings to the table, I don't think his production last year changed whether or not he could be a huge impact player with the right team and Jarmo obviously (well i guess speculate) believes that Duchene is the guy that can put this team over the top. I don't think Jarmo was low balling if he was offering Murray and Milano personally, but I don't think Duchene playing great really changes the teams price there willing to pay.

Not that I disagree with you - because you do make valid points ... BUT ... pretty much all the 'connected insiders' (McKenzie, Dreger, etc) were saying inquiring GMs were waiting to see how Duchene played the start of this season after coming off such a terrible year. (After failing to make a deal prior to the season)

How much you value what they put out there is a whole other story but, I'm just going along with what has been put out there.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
I'm sure there are some GM's but I just don't see Jarmo as being on of those if he did indeed offer Murray and Milano and a pick which has been speculation I believe.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Duchene with 3 goals, and 4 assists to start the season. Get the deal done Jarmo. We are one of the worst faceoff teams in the league, and we desperately need a legit top line center that can play with bread and cam

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
As much as I would like to see Duchene as a Blue Jacket, Sakic may not want to trade right now. If he continues to play well, he'll help his trade value and make a good candidate to be moved at or around the deadline.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
As much as I would like to see Duchene as a Blue Jacket, Sakic may not want to trade right now. If he continues to play well, he'll help his trade value and make a good candidate to be moved at or around the deadline.

On the other hand at the deadline he'll be more than a half season closer to UFA status which will diminish his value a bit.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Honestly at this point I feel we are pushing to hard to make a deal. Obviously we have a giant hole down the middle of our roster, which is only going to become more glaring as we go through the season. That being said I feel like this is the time to sit back and not chase a deal like Duchene. Every year we have the Center who wants out of a particular situation and I just can't help but feel like we should wait for the next time this situation comes around to blow all our powder on a trade. We aren't to the point where one above average position player is going to take us from good to great we still need a legit #1 guy to get to that point, not just an upgrade over Wennberg. On top of all of this, I think we still need to be building to fight it out with teams of the future (Leafs, Oil, Jersey, Carolina) rather than focusing on winning now in what looks like a transition period in the league.

TL,DR: I think ponying up for Duchene is not enough of an upgrade either right now or in the future to make us Stanley cup favorites and blowing all of our powder on one trade to make us marginally better doesn't make sense.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This is exactly why Sakic waited on Duchene. If we want him right now he could make us overpay because of Wennberg's struggles, PLD not playing center and now Sedlak is hurt.

This is exactly what Sakic wanted. It would stupid to trade for him right now.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
This is exactly why Sakic waited on Duchene. If we want him right now he could make us overpay because of Wennberg's struggles, PLD not playing center and now Sedlak is hurt.

Conversely, Murray looks like he's back to normal so my highest offer is still where it was 6 weeks ago. We knew Murray was better than last year as well as Duchene. It was always a fair deal. Sakic can go f*** himself.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

If we don't overpay, then another team will. Then what ? Maybe we squeak in the playoffs this year , and hope we can somehow sign a free agent center in the offseason . Meanwhile we lose momentum in building the fan base, etc. I'm not saying vastly overpay , but I'm turning over every stone possible to get a deal done for Duchene , or Turris . If that means sending Wennberg the other way with a piece , I'm doing it in a heartbeat . Same if it's Murray, Milano and a pick . Get the deal done Jarmo . No way we can go thru this season with Foligno, Dubinsky, and Wennberg down the middle , and make a legit run in the playoffs

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
If we don't overpay, then another team will. Then what ? Maybe we squeak in the playoffs this year , and hope we can somehow sign a free agent center in the offseason . Meanwhile we lose momentum in building the fan base, etc. I'm not saying vastly overpay , but I'm turning over every stone possible to get a deal done for Duchene , or Turris . If that means sending Wennberg the other way with a piece , I'm doing it in a heartbeat . Same if it's Murray, Milano and a pick . Get the deal done Jarmo . No way we can go thru this season with Foligno, Dubinsky, and Wennberg down the middle , and make a legit run in the playoffs
We're not even 10 games into the season. It's Waaaaaay to early to be talking trades. Right now both Murray and Milano are off the table IMO. We need both of them on their respective sides of the ice.

Players go through slumps, and even with Wennberg slumping the jackets are 5-3. This is why you build depth in the organization and have players like Foligno, Jenner and Dubois because of their versatility.

Sakic can go **** himself.
Pretty much how I feel!

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Columbus should forget about Duchene and try to get Shipachev out of Vegas. The price shouldn't be too high, $4.5M/year for the next 2 years isn't a lot, and Shipachev and Panarin had a lot of chemistry in the past. Of course, he isn't great defensively, but Columbus has a lot of defensively responsible player, the team needs more offense now.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I continue in my often expressed belief that Wennie the Pooh as a first line center is the biggest reason this team cannot reach its potential. With his lack of willingness to shoot the puck (and the resulting manner in which other teams defend us when he is on the ice) and his abysmal face off performances, he is best suited as a third line center. Ok, maybe on the second line. Maybe. But having the Pooh on the first line is a recipe for mediocrity. Now I agree the price for Duchene is extremely high and I can understand why Jarmo does not want to go there. But until we resolve our 1st/2nd line center dilemma, I think as a team we are in a holding pattern.

Reactions: The Bread Man

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I continue in my often expressed belief that Wennie the Pooh as a first line center is the biggest reason this team cannot reach its potential. With his lack of willingness to shoot the puck (and the resulting manner in which other teams defend us when he is on the ice) and his abysmal face off performances, he is best suited as a third line center. Ok, maybe on the second line. Maybe. But having the Pooh on the first line is a recipe for mediocrity. Now I agree the price for Duchene is extremely high and I can understand why Jarmo does not want to go there. But until we resolve our 1st/2nd line center dilemma, I think as a team we are in a holding pattern.
Yep. Absolutely, If you can get Duchene, for Murray, Milano, and a pick, you do it in a heartbeat. My guess is so would Jarmo. Team will be just average with Wennberg, Dubi, and Foligno down the middle. Duchene , is an allstar type player, that's been stuck on a bad team, yet people are worried about trading Murray, and Milano :help:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Columbus should forget about Duchene and try to get Shipachev out of Vegas. The price shouldn't be too high, $4.5M/year for the next 2 years isn't a lot, and Shipachev and Panarin had a lot of chemistry in the past. Of course, he isn't great defensively, but Columbus has a lot of defensively responsible player, the team needs more offense now.
Agree, he would be an instant upgrade to Wennberg, he could keep up with Cam, and Panarin. The way Wennberg has been playing this year, he should be on the 3rd line at best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino