The End of the Blackhawks Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Thats hardly a bold prediction considering they arent even a .500 team.
Yeah its almost like its never happened before. I've never seen a team that was not going well fire their coach and then win a cup. I've literally never seen it. Never once. Not once in all of history.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Q and Stan Bowman both need to be axed. I wouldn't mind if McDonough went along with them.

The core is done. The younger players aren't anything special. Just barely enough to pseudo-compete.

Serious changes need to be made. Q's playbook does not work with older guys that can't keep up and younger, less-talented guys. It was always about making the most of overpowering the opposition with superior talent. He did well with that. Q needs to go.

Stan has not shown he can rebuild a team. He hires quick fixes, former 1st round busts and tries to get as many Swedish d-men and undersized American college forwards as possible. He fine tunes a talented team well, but he hasn't shown he can do the broad strokes equally good. I wouldn't want him be responsible for a rebuild. Get someone with an eye for "that big trade" where Kane gets moved out for the next great talent, or challenging the existing norms. Stan needs to go.

McDonough is the background character that will force instant success, and will not tolerate empty seats. I am afraid he will push for big free agent signings and trading away future assets just to get the team semi-competitive on the short term. He will not accept the team missing the playoffs again. No way. That can be a dangerous attitude and leads to years of mediocrity ala Habs. He needs to go.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Q and Stan Bowman both need to be axed. I wouldn't mind if McDonough went along with them.

The core is done. The younger players aren't anything special. Just barely enough to pseudo-compete.

Serious changes need to be made. Q's playbook does not work with older guys that can't keep up and younger, less-talented guys. It was always about making the most of overpowering the opposition with superior talent. He did well with that. Q needs to go.

Stan has not shown he can rebuild a team. He hires quick fixes, former 1st round busts and tries to get as many Swedish d-men and undersized American college forwards as possible. He fine tunes a talented team well, but he hasn't shown he can do the broad strokes equally good. I wouldn't want him be responsible for a rebuild. Get someone with an eye for "that big trade" where Kane gets moved out for the next great talent, or challenging the existing norms. Stan needs to go.

McDonough is the background character that will force instant success, and will not tolerate empty seats. I am afraid he will push for big free agent signings and trading away future assets just to get the team semi-competitive on the short term. He will not accept the team missing the playoffs again. No way. That can be a dangerous attitude and leads to years of mediocrity ala Habs. He needs to go.

Agree for the most part but this offseason presents the opportunity to bring in Tavares and a top talent in the draft. They need nothing less if they are going to continue with the same group of players and managers. I’m not ready to write off Bowman until we see what is in the pipeline. He’s been hitting on a lot of draft picks lately. You’re right though, without more top end talent, it doesn’t matter.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

The whole big movements of last offseason are directly counter to what you think McDonough would force... the team was building previously seeing 2020 ending the cup window but they saw that was failing and made the moves for a more sustained 2 year longer contracts n better off later success.

And now they put in the worst season since 2010/2011, now well worse but from that point Stan did rebuild the team. That directly was a case of a rebuild up. Yeah he's done no top draft pick ground up build because they've not been anywhere to do that.

And what great talent star player trade off other to intentionally tank has lead to a win yet? That's also what your type of voice style wanted in 2011-12 era. It might work if a team was dumb enough to take a pr disaster like acquiring Kane but nobody should do that

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Not a bad thing at all tbh. They won 3 cups and if you look at how quickly competent management can facilitate a rebuild and turn it around it should be exciting for Chicago fans.

Reactions: SoCalFan

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
Not a bad thing at all tbh. They won 3 cups and if you look at how quickly competent management can facilitate a rebuild and turn it around it should be exciting for Chicago fans.
I like the optimism, and I feel the same way. It's been a great run and I enjoyed every second of it. If it takes 2-3 years to get competitive again, then so be it. I can wait that long after how much great hockey we've been blessed with over the last 9 years.

Reactions: SoCalFan

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Agree for the most part but this offseason presents the opportunity to bring in Tavares and a top talent in the draft. They need nothing less if they are going to continue with the same group of players and managers. I’m not ready to write off Bowman until we see what is in the pipeline. He’s been hitting on a lot of draft picks lately. You’re right though, without more top end talent, it doesn’t matter.
How on earth can they afford Tavares?? I guess Seabrook now has some mysterious injury and can be taken off the books.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
2017-2018 Regular Season

GPWLOTGAASv%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Crawford played 28 games.. I wonder if that had anything to do with their season.

Also, how is 3 Cups in 5 years and missing the finals another one of those years in Game 7 on a puck that deflected twice.. not a dynasty? Lol

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
With 8 straight loses, and the west stronger than ever, I think we can finally say the Blackhawks have reached the end. Towes hasn't been playing anywhere near his 10.5 million dollar cap hit in recent years. Recent returns in Saad and Murphy have been awful to say the least. The depth is still horrible. Crawford and Hossa remain on the LTIR with no real rhyme or reason when they'll be healthy. Keith is finally slowing down and Seabrook now looks to have one of the worst contracts in the NHL.

So can we officially say they are done? 24-26-8 record and LAST in their division.
Debate time!

jokes on you, they will win the lottery.

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
Healthy Crawford, tweaks (capable backup for sure), no playoffs rest and the youth growing (Schmaltz, Debrincat, Hartman, Hinostroza, Forsling, Duclair and maybe Hayden).

They should bounce back next season. Crawford was a huge loss.

Crawford: 16-9-2 (82 game pace: 103 pts)

Forsberg/Glass: 10-19-6 (82 game pace: 61 pts)

They'll be fine IMO. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel this is an overreaction on how bad it is by a lot of you.

Reactions: wahsnairb

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
2017-2018 Chicago Blackhawks Coaching Staff

Joel QuennevilleHead Coach
Kevin DineenAssistant Coach
Ulf SamuelssonAssistant Coach
Don GranatoAssistant Coach
Jimmy WaiteGoaltending Coach
Matt MeachamVideo Coach
Paul GoodmanStrength and Conditioning Coach
Christian BurrusDevelopmental Strength and Conditioning Coach
Kevin DelaneySkating and Skills Development
Yanic PerreaultDevelopment Coach
Derek PlanteDevelopment Coach
Anders SorensenDevelopment Coach
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Official Chicago Blackhawks Website

Front Office

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Should have kept Teuvo and Panarin, instead they brought back the old band (Sharp and Saad).

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Kane and Toews should retire as Blackhawks.
Are you ok with being a mediocre team because that contract is going to absolutely cripple you.

I say move Toews ASAP before he gets even worse. Package him with 1 or 2 valuable assets to get rid of him or retain 30-40% of his contract and get something good in return.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
2017-2018 Regular Season

GPWLOTGAASv%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Crawford played 28 games.. I wonder if that had anything to do with their season.

Also, how is 3 Cups in 5 years and missing the finals another one of those years in Game 7 on a puck that deflected twice.. not a dynasty? Lol

3 in 6 actually. They never defended their cup.

Pens aren’t a dynasty yet, so Chicago certainly isn’t one.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Ask any Hawks fan in 2007 if they'd take a couple of down years in exchange for the most successful run in hockey since the late 90s- early 00s Wings and I think every single one of 'em would take that trade in a heartbeat.

Weird situation with the Kane/Toews thing. Lombardi got caught up in the sentimental contracts as well. Not the main thing that hurt the Kings long term (that'd be Voynov), but how do you not bring your captain back?

In a videogame, you probably trade Toews while his value is high and sign Kane, but what does that do to chemistry? These aren't robots.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Brutal terraveinen trade and anisimov. Toews worth 6mil kane 8mil but they won 3 cups so management was not thinking business but loyalty

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Brutal terraveinen trade and anisimov. Toews worth 6mil kane 8mil but they won 3 cups so management was not thinking business but loyalty

How much do you think Kane and Toews would have got as free agents for the start of 2015-16 a month after winning their third cup?
6mil and 8mil is a joke

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I don't know that it qualifies in the traditional dynasty sense but what they did was impressive. To break down and manage to put a cup winning team together three separate times under the cap is a totally different skill. I think the Toews and Kane contracts will ultimately be too much of an obstacle to get around though. It's probably the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad