TSN: The Drouin Saga Part III "Don't Tell Me What the Poets are Drouin"

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Fine with this Habs fan.

Couple that with a blue chip prospect and we have a good trade.

Nah, rather try our luck with a possible top 5 pick - who chances are will have as much upside as Drouin - and keep the blue chip prospect.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Tampa would be wise to get as much as they can for this kid asap before they realize he's more Falloon than Kane.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
Nah, rather try our luck with a possible top 5 pick - who chances are will have as much upside as Drouin - and keep the blue chip prospect.

Tanking is not an option, and I hate it when teams do that, we won't name 'em.. And for the record, when the Habs finished 27th I think they also set a mark for injured games mist somtn

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Glad to see people on here complaining that we need offensive talent and we haven't had one in decades and when one is available AND cost controlled "PASSSS"

I really dont understand this place sometimes.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Glad to see people on here complaining that we need offensive talent and we haven't had one in decades and when one is available AND cost controlled "PASSSS"

To be fair, a lot of us are saying "GO" but we don't want to see Bergevin overbid.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014

We want proven talent, not another project with "potential" to become what we need.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Tanking is not an option, and I hate it when teams do that, we won't name 'em.. And for the record, when the Habs finished 27th I think they also set a mark for injured games mist somtn

It's pretty much already happening.:laugh:

Don't fight it.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

I'd welcome Drouin with open arms. But I have no confidence in Bergevin right now and I think he'll overpay. I would not trade McCarron in a deal that also involve Beaulieu for Drouin.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
We want proven talent, not another project with "potential" to become what we need.

Proven talent?
With which asset?
Drouin is a perfect gamble for a potential superstar.

People are day dreaming if they believe we can acquire proven superstars with unwanted depth players, picks and prospects.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

We need offensive talent but as Runner said we don't want MB to overpay for it. Especially for unproven offensive talent. People are just assuming JD will magically become some superstar when it could also go the other way and he completely flops.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
People are just assuming JD will magically become some superstar when it could also go the other way and he completely flops.

If you don't take risk you never have any reward.

I'd rather overpay for Drouin than overpay for over the hill veteran like we did for Gomez.

Again it all depends of the price to pay.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
We need offensive talent but as Runner said we don't want MB to overpay for it. Especially for unproven offensive talent. People are just assuming JD will magically become some superstar when it could also go the other way and he completely flops.

Any guarantees McCarron is more than a 3rd liner? None whatsoever

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Doubt we get Drouin. If I were Yzerman, I would try and move him asap. As time goes by, his value may decrease. Today 0 points -1. 3 points in 7 games.

I thought he was pretty good today, his goal against had nothing to do with him, he was perfectly tied up with his man.

Sure he needs to put up the points because it's the AHL after all but he had a good game tbh.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
I've seen Drouin play over 100 times live at various levels. Make no mistake about, his talent is very high end and he has the potential to become something special.

But he can be lazy, and he can be immature. Those two words scare the crap out of me.

Playing with Nathan MacKinnon, and later Nikolaj Ehlers was energizing for him. Both of those players controlled most of the entries into the O zone, and as defenses reacted Drouin would hit the seams with speed and create opportunities for himself and others. The seams are much smaller in pro, and the defense much better skaters, so if you check a lot of Drouins work as a pro, you'll see him dumping it off into the corner and circling to find another seam. The maddening part is his stickhandling is high end, and he'd be more sucsessful trying to go through defense. That take's guts, commitment and confidence, something so far he hasn't shown as a pro.

As for the center / wing debate, make no mistake he is a pure winger. After being drafted I believe the Lightening asked if he could be play center, and he did and was passable, but at the end of the day he's that perimiter skill guy letting the power center take it over and looking for his seams.

He and Stamkos are sort of (in a very small way) similar that way, so it's no wonder they didn't really mesh. Both were heading to the same spots.

What's interesting is that Galchenyuk would be the perfect type of center for him. I really think you could have something there.

As for trading for him, I'd like to see it...but only if we had a different coach. Therrien with his mind games would ruin this guy. What would I give? Well, anyone not on the roster is open game in my books. 2 high end prospects and a late first rounder and I think it gets done.

It would be a risk, but what do you have to lose? We can't ****in score right now.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
Shouldn't Drouin be producing in the AHL? He had 2 goals in 5 shots in his first game but he has 1 assist in 6 games ever since with 11 shots on goal.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Proven talent?
With which asset?

People are day dreaming if they believe we can acquire proven superstars with unwanted depth players, picks and prospects.

You are dreaming if you think Tampa is going to hand over Drouin to a division rival for anything less than an over payment.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Proven talent?
With which asset?

However, it's a matter of opportunity cost. If you start plunking down core assets plus premium talent, then you have to ask yourself, why not try to get better than Drouin?

Which is why in my view, there should be a line drawn as to how much they're willing to pay and beyond that, move on to a more established player.

No question that in either scenario, you have to pay to get.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
If you don't take risk you never have any reward.

I'd rather overpay for Drouin than overpay for over the hill veteran like we did for Gomez.

Again it all depends of the price to pay.

Obviously you don't want to overpay for a Gomez. But Drouin hasn't showed anything to say we need to overpay to get his talent.

I don't think I ever said that so...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Is he?

Trade McCarron and the guarantee is another regression in terms of size and physicality, two elements the Habs are sorely lacking. This is further to losing Kassian and Tinordi, to top it all off. Habs can't afford to trade McCarron.

Last edited:

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I thought he was pretty good today, his goal against had nothing to do with him, he was perfectly tied up with his man.

Sure he needs to put up the points because it's the AHL after all but he had a good game tbh.

TBH, I did not watch the game. Statistically speaking, he does not look impressive. I will be happy if we get him, provided we do not overpay.

Doubt Yzerman trades him to us.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Is he?

Trade McCarron and the guarantee is another regression in terms of size and physicality, something the Habs are sorely lacking. This is further to losing Kassian and Tinordi, to top it all off. Habs can't afford to trade McCarron.

I'll take skill over size any day of the week especially with two unproven players. IMO McCarron is no more than a 3rd line c. Again my opinion but I think drouins upside a bigger

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'll take skill over size any day of the week especially with two unproven players. IMO McCarron is no more than a 3rd line c. Again my opinion but I think drouins upside a bigger

It's not a consensus assessment that McCarron is only about size, nor that he's just a third liner, it's only your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad