TSN: The Drouin Saga Part III "Don't Tell Me What the Poets are Drouin"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Best line about scouts in attendance to see Drouin, is the one by Joe Yerdon about Rick Dudley:

Canadiens AGM Rick Dudley also here, but he lives somewhat nearby. He'd probably be here no matter what.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2016/01/18/jonathan-drouin-rumors-canadiens/

Brian Wilde: Source confirming that the Canadiens are making a huge push today for Jonathan Drouin. They are putting a bigger offer on the table for him.

Bob McKenzie: The Canadiens are one of a handful of teams that have serious interest in Drouin. It’s near impossible to handicap a frontrunner or timeline.

Grant McCagg: Being told that the Canadiens rumors of being in hot pursuit of Drouin are incorrect.

Joe Yerdon: Teams listed to scout Drouin’s game with Syracuse today: Wild, Stars, Maple Leafs, Sharks, Canadiens, Rangers, Blue Jackets and Jets. Just because a team is listed, doesn’t necessarily mean that the scout is there.

Joe Yerdon: Canadiens assistant GM Rick Dudley is at the game, but note that he lives somewhat nearby. May have been at the game no matter what.

Bob McKenzie: Canadiens Rick Dudley watched Drouin on Saturday.

Arpon Basu: “My take, Habs not exactly in a strong position to knock Lightning’s socks off in a trade offer, which is what it would take to get Drouin. Habs do have an extra 2nd rounder this year from Gorges trade, so maybe ship out a 1st and 2 seconds + prospects. But way things are going, that Habs first round pick might turn out to be a really good pick. Question is are Habs willing to take a short term step back for a long term leap forward, and can Drouin provide that leap? Not sure.â€

Brian Lawton: “The @TBLightning who have won 5 in a row have the luxury of waiting as long as they want 2 move Drouin. Helps a lot when team plays well. With that said I am hearing @TBLightning would love 2 get his 1 done just not getting quality offers 4 a still potentially big time player. I would have to think it would take a ridiculous offer for @TBLightning to move Drouin to @CanadiensMTL a playoff foe. #dontbelievelikelyâ€

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
So Dudley is there to take in an Afternoon AHL game ?

I don't doubt they are trying but some team will offer more since the Habs don't really have much to give. Then we will hear Bergy say he inquired but likes our prospects. He'll spew some nonsense that Hudon is just as good as Drouin or something and that the Habs still intend on building through the draft, not give multiple players for one prospect.

I don't think Yzerman would ever trade Drouin to Montreal either. Just using them to bring up his value.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Brian Lawton: “The @TBLightning who have won 5 in a row have the luxury of waiting as long as they want 2 move Drouin. Helps a lot when team plays well. With that said I am hearing @TBLightning would love 2 get his 1 done just not getting quality offers 4 a still potentially big time player. I would have to think it would take a ridiculous offer for @TBLightning to move Drouin to @CanadiensMTL a playoff foe. #dontbelievelikelyâ€

With so many teams supposedly vying for Drouin, Yzerman would be dumb not to milk the process to get the best result.

However, it's all a matter of opportunity cost. If you're a team with a "big time player" and say you'd want to put him on the market, why would you settle for Drouin?

The words "ridiculous offer" put this out of reach for the Habs.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Yeah giving that 1st is very dangerous. The Habs are 2 points ahead of the 13th in Conference. Kind of ridiculous to end up trading a mid-range Top-10 with question marks for a mid-range Top-10 pick++.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yeah giving that 1st is very dangerous. The Habs are 2 points ahead of the 13th in Conference. Kind of ridiculous to end up trading a mid-range Top-10 with question marks for a mid-range Top-10 pick++.

Especially since I believe there is a separate lottery for the Top 3 picks now.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Honestly tho, what's the appeal of drouin?
He hasn't proven a thing in the pros. Small, doesn't back check, and most certainly doesn't 'grind'.
We're gonna give up big assets for a guy therrien is just going to wind up benching or better yet, scratching cuz he isn't playing like davey?

Doesn't backcheck? You clearly haven't watched him play, he does have some limitations due to his size but his effort isnt one of them. I'm watching his game right now and he's the one driving the offense for his line but also the 1st man back.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Hmmmm, I forgot that we have the Sabres 2nd round pick this year. That means we could potentially have a top 10 pick and two picks between 30 and 40 along with whatever else we can get for our dead weight at the deadline. It we be a good opportunity to reload before next years regular season, especially if they decide to shut Carey Price down for the rest of the year.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
Hmmmm, I forgot that we have the Sabres 2nd round pick this year. That means we could potentially have a top 10 pick and two picks between 30 and 40 along with whatever else we can get for our dead weight at the deadline. It we be a good opportunity to reload before next years regular season, especially if they decide to shut Carey Price down for the rest of the year.

We don't, we have Minnesota's.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

We don't have the Sabres 2nd, it's the Wild's pick. Sabres traded us Minny's pick which they had to us.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Brian Lawton: “The @TBLightning who have won 5 in a row have the luxury of waiting as long as they want 2 move Drouin.

I don't think they have actually. If he doesn't start to produce in the AHL soon his value might decrease a little bit and his draft rank might not change this.

40-50 points forward in the AHL rarely translate into star players.

The top 30 forward right now :

Kane : never played in the AHL
Benn : never played in the AHL
Seguin : never played in the AHL
Tarasenko : never played in the AHL
Kuznetsov : never played in the AHL
Wheeler : never played in the AHL
Pavelski : 26 points in 18 AHL games
Panarin : never played in the AHL
Gaudreau : never played in the AHL
Malkin : never played in the AHL
Hall : 34 points in 26 AHL games
Backstrom : never played in the AHL
Sedin : never played in the AHL
Ovechkin : never played in the AHL
Bergeron : 61 points in 68 AHl games
Steen : never played in the AHL
O'reilly : never played in the AHL
Little : 25 points in 34 AHL games
Duchene : never played in the AHL
Kopitar : never played in the AHL
Ryan : 76 points in 70 AHL games
MacKinnon : never played in the AHL
Eriksson : 71 points in 95 AHL games
Kucherov : 24 points in 17 AHL games
Sharp : 114 points in 163 AHL games
Spezza : 172 points in 123 AHL games
Patch : 72 points in 82 AHL games
Crosby : never played in the AHL
Hoffman : 169 points in 242 ahl games

In this list only Little, Bergeron, Eriksson, Sharp, Patch and Hoffman played in the AHL and recorded less than a ppg there. Little is not a star player. Bergeron his for his defensive play mainly. Eriksson is nice but certainly not a star player and certainly not a guy teams would have given a lot for when he was young. Same for Sharp. He was traded for almost nothing by the Flyers. Hoffman too soon to tell. Patch is a great player but barely a star player and he is great defensively and big but despite that he had few value before becoming good in the NHL. Drouin is small and not really known for his outstanding defensive play.

The longer Drouin stay in the AHL and the longer he is not firing up the league the lower his value might be. If they are looking at trading him the sooner the better unless he starts dominating the AHL.

Not saying Drouin will lose much value anytime soon. He remains a 20 years old 3rd overall pick so they'll get good offers. But if he stays 30-40 games in the AHL and record 20 something points i doubt the teams will be willing to sell the farm + a good roster player for him.

Last edited:

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
I don't think they have actually. If he doesn't start to produce in the AHL soon his value might decrease a little bit and his draft rank might not change this.

40-50 points forward in the AHL rarely translate into star players.

The top 30 forward right now :

Kane : never played in the AHL
Benn : never played in the AHL
Seguin : never played in the AHL
Tarasenko : never played in the AHL
Kuznetsov : never played in the AHL
Wheeler : never played in the AHL
Pavelski : 26 points in 18 AHL games
Panarin : never played in the AHL
Gaudreau : never played in the AHL
Malkin : never played in the AHL
Hall : 34 points in 26 AHL games
Backstrom : never played in the AHL
Ovechkin : never played in the AHL
Bergeron : 61 points in 68 AHl games
Steen : never played in the AHL
O'reilly : never played in the AHL
Little : 25 points in 34 AHL games
Duchene : never played in the AHL
Kopitar : never played in the AHL
Ryan : 76 points in 70 AHL games
MacKinnon : never played in the AHL
Eriksson : 71 points in 95 AHL games
Kucherov : 24 points in 17 AHL games
Sharp : 114 points in 163 AHL games
Spezza : 172 points in 123 AHL games
Patch : 72 points in 82 AHL games
Crosby : never played in the AHL
Hoffman : 169 points in 242 ahl games

In this list only Little, Bergeron, Eriksson, Sharp, Patch and Hoffman played in the AHL and recorded less than a ppg there. Little is not a star player. Bergeron his for his defensive play mainly. Eriksson is nice but certainly not a star player and certainly not a guy teams would have given a lot for when he was young. Same for Sharp. He was traded for almost nothing by the Flyers. Hoffman too soon to tell. Patch is a great player but barely a star player and he is great defensively and big but despite that he had few value before becoming good in the NHL. Drouin is small and not really known for his outstanding defensive play.

The longer Drouin stay in the AHL and the longer he is not firing up the league the lower his value might be. If they are looking at trading him the sooner the better unless he starts dominating the AHL.

Not saying Drouin will lose much value anytime soon. He remains a 20 years old 3rd overall pick so they'll get good offers. But if he stays 30-40 games in the AHL and record 20 something points i doubt the teams will be willing to sell the farm + a good roster player for him.

Good post, I'm still a believer in Drouin but I wouldnt get into a long bidding war.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad