Post-Game Talk: The Defending Champs vs the last team coached by Bruce Boudreau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
We don’t have a chance in hell these playoffs. What we showed against Tampa was unsustainable (albeit inefficient) hustle. We had little left for this game. Meanwhile Tampa goes and blows out Carolina the next night.

The turnovers will be our dismantling.
I said this last year...

The Caps could go on a tear, as the turnovers and defensive schemes for Games 1 and 2 against the Jackets was a similar trainwreck.

I'll even go out to say our defensive effort will be key - specifically the former shutdown pair of Niskanen and Orlov. If they keep feeding pizzas in the defensive zones or blow coverages, this playoff season will be short.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Seems as simple as all his confidence has returned.

Brooks Laich said it and I think its true. When a player is not playing to their normal standard, they are injured. Heck we went what seems like 1-2 years where Ovi fumbled puck after puck doing his famed move. One day, he could do it again.

Reactions: calicapsfan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Brooks Laich said it and I think its true. When a player is not playing to their normal standard, they are injured. Heck we went what seems like 1-2 years where Ovi fumbled puck after puck doing his famed move. One day, he could do it again.

It’s called being human. They’re all hurting. They’re not all injured when they’re playing down.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It’s called being human. They’re all hurting. They’re not all injured when they’re playing down.

No, they aren't all hurting to the point that it limits them so badly fans demand a trade.

There is a big difference when a guy won't give his all, and cannot. One is sandbagging, and the other is an injury.

I think we see sandbagging more than most realize. Only just last year, was it on full display for all to see.

Reactions: zappa4ever

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No, they aren't all hurting to the point that it limits them so badly fans demand a trade.

There is a big difference when a guy won't give his all, and cannot. One is sandbagging, and the other is an injury.

I think we see sandbagging more than most realize. Only just last year, was it on full display for all to see.

You’ve become sooo dramatic lately....make all the excuses you want for the player. They’re human. They’ll always be up and down. Some have a history of being especially inconsistent. I’m much less likely to give another free pass to a repeat offender.

Last edited:

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Well....dot dot...dot...
that sucked​

MIN played some good team D and Dubnyk had a good game but a pretty flat effort overall
Highlight of the whole game was coaching staff relaying condolences to Locker

Hope we have a more gritty effort Sunday

Reactions: Bananas

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Need Haglan back. He brings an energy that seems contagious to this team. Perhaps brings a work ethic Beagle used to bring.

I would strongly consider moving Bura up a line or two and putting Wilson on the 3rd line. Right now he’s not bringing much of anything. I’m not seeing any space opened up for OV, not seeing defensemen turn the puck over when they feel him, he’s an instant turnover. and the scoring touch he once had for a stretch is gone. That line needs an infusion of skill right now.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I am most disappointed in you guys.
Caps lost and we have only 9 pages GDT. What happened? :sarcasm:

Minny wanted it more because they're in the hunt for a wc2 spot. Caps are one foot in the playoffs.

Caps will be fine. You can't play 82 games with the same effort as the played against the bolts
They'll be alright when it matters

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The game vs Tampa had 40+ pages of content and required two GDTs. This one has 9 pages. Seems like the players and the fans approached the games versus the Lightning and Wild with similar levels of enthusiasm and energy.

Other than that, they’re still in the driver’s seat to winning the division. Hopefully the Islanders continue to plummet and the Caps get them in Round One. The Flyers play a matinee game today so no excuses tomorrow for the Caps not to come out and take care of business.

Oh, and Niskanen is awful. Poor dude is laboring something serious and it’s clear he’s not playing at 100%. Maybe just sit him for a few games and let him rest up because he’s a real liability out there at this point. Regardless, I think they need to try and move him this summer.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Oh, and Niskanen is awful. Poor dude is laboring something serious and it’s clear he’s not playing at 100%. Maybe just sit him for a few games and let him rest up because he’s a real liability out there at this point. Regardless, I think they need to try and move him this summer.

Not sure if you noticed this or not, but only Carlson plays more than Niskanen. Last night only Niskanen and Carlson played over 20 mins. If you sat him for a game, who, with Kempny out at all, would pick up the slack? They win or lose with Niskanen and Orlov. Its been that way all season. Its not changing. I will mark you down for a vote for the lose side of that option.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You’ve become sooo dramatic lately....make all the excuses you want for the player. They’re human. They’ll always be up and down. Some have a history of being especially inconsistent. I’m much less likely to give another free pass to a repeat offender.

Always interested to see how people have trouble with this idea. The Russian Machine is just a name. The guy is human. If you go to work everyday and try your best, everyday, you will find that you still only have your throttle pressed to the wall but so often.

If you expect the same level of motivation and concentration against the Wild with a 3pt lead in the standings than the Lightning, you are not living in the real world. If you expect 100% ability for the 3rd game in 4 nights after a back to back where the 2nd game was an epic physical battle, you are also not living in the real world. BTW...Why weren't Kempny and Hagelin out there? Sandbagging? Goldbricking?

Meanwhile, I thought Holtby had an excellent game

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Not sure if you noticed this or not, but only Carlson plays more than Niskanen. Last night only Niskanen and Carlson played over 20 mins. If you sat him for a game, who, with Kempny out at all, would pick up the slack? They win or lose with Niskanen and Orlov. Its been that way all season. Its not changing. I will mark you down for a vote for the lose side of that option.

We agree that they’ll win or lose with 9-2 as a top pairing which is why I think they should rest Niskanen. He’s not playing at the level they need him to play at in order to repeat. Call up Siegs and put him with 74, reunite 44-29, and give Jensen Niskanen’s minutes. They get to rest 2 for the stretch run, see how 34 does with more minutes against better competition and how 3 does in a similar situation, and they preview what life is like after Niskanen.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Always interested to see how people have trouble with this idea. The Russian Machine is just a name. The guy is human. If you go to work everyday and try your best, everyday, you will find that you still only have your throttle pressed to the wall but so often.

If you expect the same level of motivation and concentration against the Wild with a 3pt lead in the standings than the Lightning, you are not living in the real world. If you expect 100% ability for the 3rd game in 4 nights after a back to back where the 2nd game was an epic physical battle, you are also not living in the real world. BTW...Why weren't Kempny and Hagelin out there? Sandbagging? Goldbricking?

Meanwhile, I thought Holtby had an excellent game

I though he did too. It came down to the Wild being desperate and knowing they are battling for that remaining West wildcard. It was a close score and Wilson nearly tied it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Call up Siegs and put him with 74, reunite 44-29, and give Jensen Niskanen’s minutes. They get to rest 2 for the stretch run, see how 34 does with more minutes against better competition and how 3 does in a similar situation, and they preview what life is like after Niskanen.

Don't forget they will also lose enough games to finish second in the division and make the first round harder than it needs to be. I should really be arguing this because there is no chance that Reirden and MacLellan do anything like that. Which forward are you going to waive to create cap space for Seigenthaler?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I though he did too. It came down to the Wild being desperate and knowing they are battling for that remaining West wildcard. It was a close score and Wilson nearly tied it.

Yes. The Wild are getting paid too. In the cases of Parise and Suter and Staal getting paid way to much to be seen as the failure they will be seen as if they miss the playoffs.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Turned on the TV last night just in time to see Orlov&Nisky Pizza Parlor serve up the second goal.

Blah blah...just 'tweaking' the system this year. Defensive coach genius.

Last year if teams were playing the trap against us, the defenders would hold up in the defensive zone and pass from red dot to red dot trying to be patient. Turnovers weren't a problem this way.

Orlov and Nisky seem to be skating slower than Carlson if that's possible.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Moving Niskanen might not be a bad thing. Looks like he has really regressed this season. It would be tough to replace the minutes though.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Don't forget they will also lose enough games to finish second in the division and make the first round harder than it needs to be. I should really be arguing this because there is no chance that Reirden and MacLellan do anything like that. Which forward are you going to waive to create cap space for Seigenthaler?

They're not going to sit Niskanen, of course, but 2, 9 and 92 all seem headed toward dog status all too often. Ovechkin also had a rather uneventful night and it was another one where the top PP unit's performance could have won them the game. If it weren't for the third line they'd be in some trouble. Three games in four nights didn't help but too often a number of their top players give perfunctory performances. That said, I don't know why the Tampa Bay game effort isn't sustainable. Score state flattered them and Tampa Bay was in survival mode for much of it but when they're on they can keep up with anyone. There's just a lot more cracks in their armor at this point. Credit to the Wild, though, for not giving them too much on the cheap.

They need to ramp up 29's minutes as much as possible for the rest of the regular season and see how much he can handle. I have faith in him but it'll help get him ready. I've also long believed the key was to spread out the responsibility to all three D pairs more than anything else. They can't do that so much with Djoos compared to Kempny but it should still probably happen. The 2/9 from last season just isn't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad