Post-Game Talk: The Defending Champs vs the last team coached by Bruce Boudreau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
Don't forget they will also lose enough games to finish second in the division and make the first round harder than it needs to be. I should really be arguing this because there is no chance that Reirden and MacLellan do anything like that. Which forward are you going to waive to create cap space for Seigenthaler?

Niskanen won't be sat because that doesn't seem like Reirden's style but I'm not convinced Niskanen is winning us any games.

There's a difference between eating a lot of minutes and eating a lot of minutes well. See: Ristolainen.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Don't forget they will also lose enough games to finish second in the division and make the first round harder than it needs to be. I should really be arguing this because there is no chance that Reirden and MacLellan do anything like that. Which forward are you going to waive to create cap space for Seigenthaler?

Niskanen is a replacement-level player right now and your assertion that he’s somehow the anchor to the blue line right now is odd. He is a liability. The team is winning in spite of him and Orlov on most nights. And the team has enough room to call up Siegenthaler so no one needs to be waived.

It’s also pretty absurd you think they lose the division solely because Niskanen misses a few games. Ever consider the fact that maybe the team would play a bit better if they didn't have 9-2 getting cratered on most nights? Just because Rierden trusts him doesn’t mean he’s earned that trust this year. He has been vital to their success since he’s been here but he’s flat out bad right now and he’s been bad for 80% of the season. You do admit that he’s not good right now, yes?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I dunno, maybe the guy that never plays, doesn't score when he does, and does not PK?

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
Seems to me this team is either being poorly coached or they are not listening to TR. I see no system in play nor have I really seen it all season. You have a bunch of talented players out there trying to do their own thing and now that the games matter and teams in the hunt are tightening up, we seem to me flailing.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Have the playoffs started, yet?

Really couldn't care less about losing a 1 goal game to a mediocre Western team 10 games before the tournament.

Or losing to Tampa and Pitt in the regular season. Seen the Caps dominate these teams for over a decade in matchups in Feb and lose heartbreakingly in the playoffs.

Figure the tables have turned...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Niskanen is a replacement-level player right now and your assertion that he’s somehow the anchor to the blue line right now is odd. He is a liability...... Just because Rierden trusts him doesn’t mean he’s earned that trust this year. He has been vital to their success since he’s been here but he’s flat out bad right now and he’s been bad for 80% of the season. You do admit that he’s not good right now, yes?

Replaceable by who? Which of the other 4 defensemen is more deserving of his minutes than he is?

I can honestly say that I cant get a handle on what is wrong with 2 and 9. Winning in spite of them doesn't seem possible. We have Carlson and 5 liabilities playing on D every game and average or worse goaltending but somehow have the division lead? Add that up for me because I don't see it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Replaceable by who? Which of the other 4 defensemen is more deserving of his minutes than he is?

I can honestly say that I cant get a handle on what is wrong with 2 and 9. Winning in spite of them doesn't seem possible. We have Carlson and 5 liabilities playing on D every game and average or worse goaltending but somehow have the division lead? Add that up for me because I don't see it.

Jensen, Djoos, and Orpik aren’t liabilities. Neither was Kempny. Orlov, while not great, has been better as of late. Niskanen stands out as the one who is noticeably bad on most nights. You do admit this, yes? I asked you in the previous post if you objectively think Niskanen is playing well and you dodged the question. I posit that he is hurt and/or run down.

I gave you my plan. Give Jensen Niskanen’s minutes and assignments. Let him leg more time on the PK. See how Siegenthaler does with Carlson or keep Djoos with Carlson and out Siegenthaler and Orpik together. See how it does for a few games and give Niskanen some time to recover since they need him in the playoffs and they need him to be much better than he has been.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Seems to me this team is either being poorly coached or they are not listening to TR. I see no system in play nor have I really seen it all season. You have a bunch of talented players out there trying to do their own thing and now that the games matter and teams in the hunt are tightening up, we seem to me flailing.

What concerns me is that we didn't see our team go through our annual handful of games where our passing and our offense flat our dominate.

It's hard to worry too much though, seeing our team in first place. I think last season reinforced to players that treating the regular season like preseason, IS the key to winning the cup. Todd is sitting there saying, thanks guys. There is something to be said about a team peaking too early, but maybe bigger than all of that, is, as always, goaltending.

It's almost ironic, Holts playoff best career GAA, got benched last year to start the playoffs, and we won the cup. A testament to how random hockey is, maybe more than any other sport.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
If this is true, then they have no chance this playoffs.
Might very well be true. He's looked terrible pretty much all season. I wouldn't bet on him all of a sudden returning to his elite shutdown D-self in a week or two. Something is obviously off and his partner is kinda same if not worse in some games. Holtby can't find his game too. That first goal yesterday was very unnecessary. Literally was no point in skating that far out of net if you're not able to poke check or don't handle your edges well to return in net quick enough to prevent a forward from skating around you for an easy layup.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Jensen, Djoos, and Orpik aren’t liabilities. Neither was Kempny. Orlov, while not great, has been better as of late. Niskanen stands out as the one who is noticeably bad on most nights. You do admit this, yes? I asked you in the previous post if you objectively think Niskanen is playing well and you dodged the question. I posit that he is hurt and/or run down.

I gave you my plan. Give Jensen Niskanen’s minutes and assignments. Let him leg more time on the PK. See how Siegenthaler does with Carlson or keep Djoos with Carlson and out Siegenthaler and Orpik together. See how it does for a few games and give Niskanen some time to recover since they need him in the playoffs and they need him to be much better than he has been.

Djoos and Orpik would be liabilities playing Niskanen's minutes and I seem to recall seeing where many here didn't like Jensen's 3rd pair play lately. He is also playing primary pk minutes. They would need someone else for the pk minutes. Orlov was doing so badly at that he went from top 4 pk to behind Kempny as the back up. You would push him or Djoos into that role and expect to win games? Ok...like I said, none of that is happening.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Might very well be true. He's looked terrible pretty much all season. I wouldn't bet on him all of a sudden returning to his elite shutdown D-self in a week or two. Something is obviously off and his partner is kinda same if not worse in some games. Holtby can't find his game too. That first goal yesterday was very unnecessary. Literally was no point in skating that far out of net if you're not able to poke check or don't handle your edges well to return in net quick enough to prevent a forward from skating around you for an easy layup.

well...that will make planning for my spring easier.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Always interested to see how people have trouble with this idea. The Russian Machine is just a name. The guy is human. If you go to work everyday and try your best, everyday, you will find that you still only have your throttle pressed to the wall but so often.

If you expect the same level of motivation and concentration against the Wild with a 3pt lead in the standings than the Lightning, you are not living in the real world. If you expect 100% ability for the 3rd game in 4 nights after a back to back where the 2nd game was an epic physical battle, you are also not living in the real world. BTW...Why weren't Kempny and Hagelin out there? Sandbagging? Goldbricking?

Meanwhile, I thought Holtby had an excellent game

Not sure what you’re rambling on about. I said they’re human. I expect ups and downs.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Niskanen is close to done. Getting just 6M cap space for him this summer would be a really good option for this team.

I'm afraid you're right, but I'll have fond memories of him as a Cap and still hope he has a monster playoff. Him knocking out Laughton (I think) will always be one of my favorite memories with that check.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Djoos and Orpik would be liabilities playing Niskanen's minutes and I seem to recall seeing where many here didn't like Jensen's 3rd pair play lately. He is also playing primary pk minutes. They would need someone else for the pk minutes. Orlov was doing so badly at that he went from top 4 pk to behind Kempny as the back up. You would push him or Djoos into that role and expect to win games? Ok...like I said, none of that is happening.

The point you seem to be failing to grasp is Niskanen is already a liability playing Niskanen's minutes and this team isn't going to win with Niskanen playing like 2018-19 Niskanen but you seem to be avoiding giving your take on whether or not you think Niskanen's level of play has been acceptable. And it's likely that none of these changes will happen but last time I checked this was a place to discuss things you'd like to see happen. I think the team has a better chance of repeating if Niskanen is sat for a little while to try and cure whatever is ailing him since good Niskanen is required for them to have a shot. You seem to think the status quo is the right direction. Next.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Man Caps fans sure do go to ludicrous speed in an instant on pushing the Panic button

Against TBL we played a great playoff-style game for a full 60 (minus the bad PK's), and then laid a lethargic egg vs. MIN, which is the real Caps?

I knew we wouldn't have near the energy of last game, just was hoping for enough of a push to get 1 or 2 pts, props to MIN for clamping down

Season's a long haul and I don't expect gung-ho 100% of the time, my main issue has been with Kuzy's poor effort the last 15+ games (and OV being somewhat off and on for awhile, Backi to a lesser extent), now he's looking like he's ramping up
I do fully believe that we've been treating this RS just like PIT has the last few years... as a 65-70 game preseason then to tighten up and focus as the Playoffs get closer, 14 days of RS left, can't wait until the 2nd season begins

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Man Caps fans sure do go to ludicrous speed in an instant on pushing the Panic button

Against TBL we played a great playoff-style game for a full 60 (minus the bad PK's), and then laid a lethargic egg vs. MIN, which is the real Caps?

I knew we wouldn't have near the energy of last game, just was hoping for enough of a push to get 1 or 2 pts, props to MIN for clamping down

Season's a long haul and I don't expect gung-ho 100% of the time, my main issue has been with Kuzy's poor effort the last 15+ games (and OV being somewhat off and on for awhile, Backi to a lesser extent), now he's looking like he's ramping up
I do fully believe that we've been treating this RS just like PIT has the last few years... as a 65-70 game preseason then to tighten up and focus as the Playoffs get closer, 14 days of RS left, can't wait until the 2nd season begins

I think for most posters this is inaccurate. Sure some people live and die by every game but most of us have been concerned about the play of certain players (92, 2, 9) or about certain trends in their game (poor zone entries on the PP, too many bad breakouts leading to turnovers) for a while now. Having objective discussions about concerning players or trends isn't pushing the Panic button, I don't think.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm afraid you're right, but I'll have fond memories of him as a Cap and still hope he has a monster playoff. Him knocking out Laughton (I think) will always be one of my favorite memories with that check.
Yep, he's been a consistent player for this team for a long time but you gotta make business decisions in time regardless of good memories.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Well over the last 12 hours apparently Niskanen is no longer an NHL'er and Orlov is barely a step above
That's what I'm mostly referring to

While they've both had issues they'd be Top 4 on most every team but NSH
We've got 7 good D-men despite being in the bottom half of GA (I blame most of that on forwards not playing team D and the PK); we'll see how things tighten up between now and the playoffs
I think or GA will go down and PK% will rise (didn't we just finally get back to 80%?)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The point you seem to be failing to grasp is Niskanen is already a liability playing Niskanen's minutes and this team isn't going to win with Niskanen playing like 2018-19 Niskanen but you seem to be avoiding giving your take on whether or not you think Niskanen's level of play has been acceptable. And it's likely that none of these changes will happen but last time I checked this was a place to discuss things you'd like to see happen. I think the team has a better chance of repeating if Niskanen is sat for a little while to try and cure whatever is ailing him since good Niskanen is required for them to have a shot. You seem to think the status quo is the right direction. Next.

I didn't avoid giving my take. I said I didn't know. My initial thought was that he was beat up from the playoff run and was slow in recovering. I then thought that Orlov was getting used up so regularly in one on one situations that Niskanen was trying to do to much. They have both looked better recently to me.

Yes, this is a place where we can discuss even pie in the sky. Which means I can both post that its not going to happen, and it won't, and I can ask you who you give Niskanen's minutes to when he sits and if you care that they end up the 2nd seed as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad