The decision to keep the expiring contracts - is it going to backfire

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
You could always have always used the pick in a package to acquire a solid defenceman for the now.

doesnt look like that was available this year. fans woulda went nuts if the leafs sold at the deadline in the midst of the best season in team history. I still have faith i the shanny plan. 36pt increase over the past 2 years, buffalo would kill for that

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Well, to name a few that had the Leafs as contenders, going deep in the playoffs:

@acrobaticgoalie
@Mike Bobcat
@YEKCOHADANAC
@Bologna 1
@HamiltonNHL
@PuckMagi
@Stephen
@zeke
@dimi78
@LeafsMonster
@Pi
@SportsJunkie
@nobody
@FlareKnight
@613Leafer
@BayStreetBully
@ToneDog
@LEAFANFORLIFE23
@Territory
@FlareKnight

...just to name a few. Pretty easily could find a bunch of others, but you get the idea. There's many that expected/believed this team good enough to go deep.

Of course, even non Leafs fans expected a quality run out of this team, the stats are there. This is a Maple Leafs team that wasn't in the to play 10 standings all year. Right out of top 5 actually.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I was one of few that were pretty vocal to trade - will chance
are.the.leafs.contenders.png

Story checks out.
I see you on the No absolutely Not list.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
gotta think leafs brass thought they had a shot after putting up the best season in team history. there is a misconception that because the team is young that this wasnt our year. anything can happen in the playoffs, and its not like the leafs were a 95pt wildcard team. 105pts

105 pts doesn't really enter into it, it's not like we can make trades when the season's over.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
105 pts doesn't really enter into it, it's not like we can make trades when the season's over.

at the time JVR was absolutely on fire, so that enters into it quite significantly.
leafs knew they were going to the playoffs. they didnt wanna weaken the team this year for future picks
not much more to it really

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
If they lose early, yes. If they go somewhat deep, no. Risk vs reward baby, its not simply black and white.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Selling JVR at the TDL because the team was too scared to take a swing in the playoffs and lose is loser mentality. They want to keep the loser mentality out of the room.

With your "hidden meaning" logic i could quite easily say "it sends a message that we think you can win even without JVR" but its not about that.

Its not about "sending a message" or implying anything to the team. Its about assessing what you've got and where you think it can get you.

We have a deep pool of wingers, some are more than NHL ready and whether the fairweather fans like it or not we are not a cup contender, simple as. So if your best chance to improve the team for the future means selling JVR today then personally id take it.

There are many reasons for and against, which is fine, thats why im not calling for Lou's job like the rest of the Mob were after two losses, he knows the temperature of the room a hell of a lot better than any of us and i have complete faith.

Whether you're being intentionally condescending or just misunderstanding my post, sitting at 7th in the league and thinking your done is exactly what breeds mediocrity, and finishing the season with a 7th place finish and no cup and planning the parade is what keeps you in the Caps position for the next 10 years.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
JVR @ $4.25 mil + Bozak @ $ 4.2 mil + Komarov @ $3.0 mil = $11.45 ......... OUT

Tavares @ $10 mil + Johnsson @ $750k + Grundstrom @ $925k = $11.675 ..... IN

No problem keeping UFAs if this is the plan for next year !!!.
Yep this is exactly the way to do it! Declining assets of little use for a franchise long-term player and promoting 2 excellent prospects.

I would have traded JVR last summer as he will be replaced easily internally by our rising wingers and would have fetched a good return. Bozak and Komarov have little trade value though.

Also as has been said on here its completely not doable to trade any once the season started and we were a proven contender.

But people need to chill about losing FA's. You win some you lose some. We got Marleau, Hainsey and Moore last year for free and will sign more this summer hopefully wisely again. I really think JT is coming home this summer. Losing Gardiner would hurt alot more than JVR, Bozak and Komarov but I'm sure they will extend him perhaps 6m x6 which he's worth.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Yep this is exactly the way to do it! Declining assets of little use for a franchise long-term player and promoting 2 excellent prospects.

I would have traded JVR last summer as he will be replaced easily internally by our rising wingers and would have fetched a good return. Bozak and Komarov have little trade value though.

Also as has been said on here its completely not doable to trade any once the season started and we were a proven contender.

But people need to chill about losing FA's. You win some you lose some. We got Marleau, Hainsey and Moore last year for free and will sign more this summer hopefully wisely again. I really think JT is coming home this summer. Losing Gardiner would hurt alot more than JVR, Bozak and Komarov but I'm sure they will extend him perhaps 6m x6 which he's worth.

See this is a valid argument, but trading JVR at the TDL was never going to happen. I don't think a single GM does this if they are running the Leafs.

Reactions: Liminality

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
With your "hidden meaning" logic i could quite easily say "it sends a message that we think you can win even without JVR" but its not about that.

Its not about "sending a message" or implying anything to the team. Its about assessing what you've got and where you think it can get you.

We have a deep pool of wingers, some are more than NHL ready and whether the fairweather fans like it or not we are not a cup contender, simple as. So if your best chance to improve the team for the future means selling JVR today then personally id take it.

There are many reasons for and against, which is fine, thats why im not calling for Lou's job like the rest of the Mob were after two losses, he knows the temperature of the room a hell of a lot better than any of us and i have complete faith.

Whether you're being intentionally condescending or just misunderstanding my post, sitting at 7th in the league and thinking your done is exactly what breeds mediocrity, and finishing the season with a 7th place finish and no cup and planning the parade is what keeps you in the Caps position for the next 10 years.

Paragraph 1: trading jvr shows that we believe we can win without him. That wouldn’t send the message that management believes the team is a contender.

Paragraph 3: we are not a contender. We should trade jvr for the future

Ummmm???

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Translation: I think leafs are going to lose so let me jump on my agenda.

What 105 point team sells lol.

Reactions: Halla

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Like I’ve said before. It’s nice to have good young depth that you hope is ready to come in the league. But you know what else is just as good as having good young depth coming into the league? Actual players in the playoffs with experience.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
at the time JVR was absolutely on fire, so that enters into it quite significantly.
leafs knew they were going to the playoffs. they didnt wanna weaken the team this year for future picks
not much more to it really

At the time of what? When they had 105, the season was over. If you mean the TDL then sure, the optics of a trade at that time would have been terrible but at one point in Jan, they were 16th overall and they could have chosen to make a move then.

They didn't want to weaken the team for picks - yes, that was the choice they made and I'm fine with it. Probably not what I would have done (depending on the return we gave up on) but ... I'm fine with it.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Translation: I think leafs are going to lose so let me jump on my agenda.

What 105 point team sells lol.
Yup.
I predicted this would happen. Even if they beat Boston and lost in the second round, these points will be made.
I don't recall Boston, Tampa, Winnipeg, Nashville, San Jose trading UFAs for "Picks". It's a ridiculous argument.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
It only made sense to sell JVR if you were going to flip the assets for Mcdonagh. Otherwise it didn't make sense.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
I remember when there was a JVR poll last year and letting him walk as a UFA wasnt even an option in the poll! I dont mind to say i told you so but i was 90% sure JVR would be leaving as a UFA

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I remember when there was a JVR poll last year and letting him walk as a UFA wasnt even an option in the poll! I dont mind to say i told you so but i was 90% sure JVR would be leaving as a UFA

How is that an I told you so? Pretty much everyone expected JVR to walk unless we weren't in playoff contention.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
We could still possibly get a draft pick for JVR if some team really wanted to sign him we could trade his negotiating rights to the team giving that team exclusive rights to negotiate with him.

Bozak will likely be resigned if he can not secure a 4 0r 5 year deal elsewhere. I can see a 2/3 year deal at 2.75-3.15 per.

Komo is gone we will seek a replacement on the Free agent market.

I think we extend Gardiner after July 1st this year and before the start of the season for a 5/7 year deal at 5 to 5.60 per average. More for shorter term and less for the longer term.

It was most definitely not wrong not trading these players at the deadline and also trading a second for center depth.

Were we a contender? 100% we fit in that area. What top team is not? We were not a favourite for the cup, but there is often so many first round upsets that helps teams win the cup when they were not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad