The decision to keep the expiring contracts - is it going to backfire

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
My understanding is they tried to deal for d but we will never know. In September Boston was a joke and Tampa had missed the playoffs. We were in a weak division. Not a juggernaut.

Also. Who were we trading them too? Would they be making a mistake!

To me, weak division doesn't matter. Winning the cup is the goal and unless we think we have a real shot at that, I would tend to move pending UFA's. That's just a general rule though. Totally understand that at the TDL we were looking good.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I said SMALL CHANCE for a reason!

The extra year might make it possible for said team to fit him under the salary cap!

I guess, if some team desperately wants to squeeze him in ... small doesn't being to cover it. Not even sure what the word will be. Anyhow, I would love to see it happen. :)

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
There is still a SMALL CHANCE that the rights to JvR might be traded at the draft. It is possible that a team wanting to sign him, MIGHT be interested in being able to sign him over 8 years instead of 7!

Also, there MIGHT be a team interested in a sign and trade scenario.

Failing the above, we gain cap space when both JvR and Bozak depart for no return.

IIRC, a pending UFA at this point of the season and beyond can only get eight years if signing with his current team. The sign and trade scenario could happen.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
To me, weak division doesn't matter. Winning the cup is the goal and unless we think we have a real shot at that, I would tend to move pending UFA's. That's just a general rule though. Totally understand that at the TDL we were looking good.

Ok but to who? We are top 6 in the league..... understand not buying and I wouldn’t be trading my first for a rental, but Only 2 teams don’t buy every year..... would all those teams have been making a mistake? We kept him for free and that’s a mistake? But buying wouldn’t be?

I would have done it to improve the d. But again it sounds like they tried. Giving up first rounders for rentals isn’t our style anymore. Which is good. But selling off players for late firsts and mid round is not good.

Bottom line is regardless of the next 2-5 games, this was a record breaking season. The team had great success and can build on it for next year. That’s not a waste

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There’s always costs to any decision. I’d say most GMs likely wouldn’t have traded Bozak or JVR given how the team was playing.

HOWEVER, that doesn’t mean that every decision had to be made the same.. the emergence of Johnsson showed that Komarov likely could have been traded (though admittedly that would have been depending on the return), and trading futures for Plek was clearly a big mistake (Moore likely should be in over him now).

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I'm not convinced we would have received all that much for JVR or Bozak at the deadline.
Plekanec was a bad idea.
That being said, Kadri is unable to play ...

I’d say most GMs likely wouldn’t have traded Bozak or JVR given how the team was playing.
I dont think so.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
IIRC, a pending UFA at this point of the season and beyond can only get eight years if signing with his current team. The sign and trade scenario could happen.
I thought that as long as the UFA player is traded to the new team before July 1st, eight years is still an option.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Win or lose, the Leafs needed to keep these players to have their very best shot in this year's playoffs.

If they lose with these guys, that helps answer the questions as to whether they should move on with or without them.

Personally, I think they should try to keep JVR if he can be signed to a reasonable contract, and let Bozak, Komarov, Polak, Plekanec and Moore all go.

They should also free up some contract spots by letting Marincin, Greening, Smith and Baun all walk as well.

Add Lupul to the mix, and that's ten contract spots opened up under the 50-contract limit; and it also gives some cap room and roster space to promote from within or make a meaningful free-agent signing for the NHL roster.

It was always necessary to give this year's team the best shot possible without dealing away futures. The opportunity cost of keeping the FA's was, frankly, minimal.

Reactions: ErnieLeafs

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
One thing a lot of us overlooked is the way the Leafs played the last two games. I am not discrediting the Bruins but if the Leafs played the way they did the last two games during the regular season, they would not have been a 105 pts team, heck I don't even think they would be in the playoffs and is a bottom 5 teams fighting for better odds for Dahlin.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ok but to who? We are top 6 in the league..... understand not buying and I wouldn’t be trading my first for a rental, but Only 2 teams don’t buy every year..... would all those teams have been making a mistake? We kept him for free and that’s a mistake? But buying wouldn’t be?

I would have done it to improve the d. But again it sounds like they tried. Giving up first rounders for rentals isn’t our style anymore. Which is good. But selling off players for late firsts and mid round is not good.

To who - I have no idea. But there are many teams in the league and JVR with that contract is a valuable asset, I'm sure many teams would have been interested.

Last firsts can be quite valuable. From recent history we used one late first as the main piece in a trade for Andersen and used the other to trade for 3 picks, two of which were used to draft Dermott and Bracco. That's not too shabby.

Bottom line is regardless of the next 2-5 games, this was a record breaking season. The team had great success and can build on it for next year. That’s not a waste

Yes, I agree that's true. Then again, with whoever else instead of JVR, we still probably cruise to the playoffs so if we finished with even say 8 or so less points, does it matter? And the benefit is that we could have given that ice time to Leivo/Johnsson which would have been useful.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
One thing I know is stay away from 8 years for JVR. i know so many of you wanted him back during that hot streak, but damn he's one-dimensioanl.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I thought that as long as the UFA player is traded to the new team before July 1st, eight years is still an option.

You could be right. I can't say it with too much certainty, but I thought the cutoff date was somewhere in and around the trade deadline.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
One thing I know is stay away from 8 years for JVR. i know so many of you wanted him back during that hot streak, but damn he's one-dimensioanl.

It is kind of like the Kessel all over again, when he is scoring, he is awesome. When he is not scoring, he is crap.
For this off-season, due to the fact that Rick Nash is available, I would rather spend money on Nash instead of JVR.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It is kind of like the Kessel all over again, when he is scoring, he is awesome. When he is not scoring, he is crap.
For this off-season, due to the fact that Rick Nash is available, I would rather spend money on Nash instead of JVR.
At least Kessel can do more offensively, JVR scores goals infront of the net and well that's it. Kessel is a good skater, great passer and great shot.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Missing out on the return for JVR is the only potential lose. Bozak and Komarov aren't returning must to write home about.

JVR could have landed a 1st +

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Do you think any team is giving up major assets for a player that is a year away from UFA? If JVR had any value in the offseason the Leafs would have flipped him directly or indirectly for a d-man. In fact, i'm pretty sure he was tied to Hamonic so it looks like they did try. JVR, Bozak and Komarov would have had value at the deadline but you're damned if you do and damned if you don't in that situation. Perhaps if the Leafs organization wasn't filled to the brim with potential replacements they might have tried to sell-while-winning, but the point is moot now.

Too many fans think they're actual hockey geniuses that came up with the idea of trading a guy at the deadline and perfect asset management, but never seem to factor in the livelihood or dynamic of a team. I'm sure the rest of the players on the team would have been excited to learn their 30-goal scorer was traded for some picks. Bet you they discuss who the teams gonna pick this year and whether they can save their sorry asses before game time.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
At least Kessel can do more offensively, JVR scores goals infront of the net and well that's it. Kessel is a good skater, great passer and great shot.
I am by no means saying JVR = Kessel. Just stating that when JVR was scoring or making things happen in the Ozone, he is worth a spot with the Leafs, but when he is not, we are like-why didn't we trade him.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
I heard someone talking about "the window" on the radio the other day - can't remember who (could have been Babs, my memory's crap!).

Anyways the point was that windows can open and close so easily and so quickly, you have to make the most of every opportunity. So even though this year was a real long shot, we had a shot.

Next year, anything can happen. Matthews out for months with another concussion, Freddy - same, any one of our key players can get hurt.

Gotta go for it.

Also - we do have a decent pool of picks and prospects and adding a few 2nds to that while getting blown out EVEN WORSE by Boston would not have made me any happier.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
So if Kessel was so good and the big piece in that trade was a player that has two assists in the NHL, would that mean JVR could of been had for a player who could manage 1 assist?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
This website and others are "trading sites". Some folks just see the value of players in trades. As suggested by others, it's important for a team to try to win when they have a chance. You don't take that out of the locker room. Admitting "winning" just might be the first round in the Leafs case this year. If the Leafs had played Tampa in the first round, the outcome of the games might have been far different then the debacle with Boston.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I was a strong sell proponent for JVR only, His value really was at an all time high and personally i only see this season as a kind of "stepping stone" in terms of where we are going and where we need to be to win.

This team isn't a cup contender right now, they're a playoff team, but not a contender. We have major areas of weakness that need to be addressed and ignoring the fact that keeping JVR was and is unlikely to yield a cup this season and could have been used to obtain a significant return was a mistake.

And thats how mediocrity is born. Im super proud of what this team has achieved, but thats still only 6th in the league. We've won nothing and if we settle for nothing now, we settle for nothing later.

Im not unhappy with the management group, they got us this far and i have faith in them, but my opinion is that we should have taken the assets for JVR even if it meant a 1st round exit. You build for the future.

so only the top 5 teams in the league should stand pat/add?

LA squeaked into the playoffs. they didnt sell. ditto NJ. Colorado. etc

not trading expiring contracts in the midst of the best season your team has ever had isn't settling for mediocrity. its just how teams are managed. what message does it send to the kids who busted their ass this year to sell assets for future draft picks? that you have 0 faith in a team tha went from 69pt to 95, then to 105? you think these kids don't know the young hawks team that missed the playoffs 5 straight years were champions just 2 years later?

imagine if the leafs had moved jvr for a 1st and good prospect, and got a 2nd + b prospect for bozak...and then got killed by boston. all the fans on here would be talking about how they screwed themselves.

anyways teams this good don't sell. they have UFA that may walk, but being a good team will attract other notable UFA. leafs have a glut of young talent ready to fill JVRs departure. the impact of an additional 1st,2nd and couple prospects isnt that great on a team flush with young NHL talent and numerous NHL ready prospects

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Missing out on the return for JVR is the only potential lose. Bozak and Komarov aren't returning must to write home about.

JVR could have landed a 1st +

and that late 1st has something like a 30% chance of becoming a regular NHLer. and probably less than half of that of becoming a notable NHLer

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

gotta think leafs brass thought they had a shot after putting up the best season in team history. there is a misconception that because the team is young that this wasnt our year. anything can happen in the playoffs, and its not like the leafs were a 95pt wildcard team. 105pts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad