Post-Game Talk: The day the streak died. Champs v Shirks

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Oh and I figured it out. Orlov is probably playing through injury.

After seeing how Oshie played post concussion and then eventually we saw the cobwebs cleared... it can explain a lot of what we see. Sure, none it will ever be proven true one way or the other, but injuries happen and much more than we know. And no sport tries to mask injuries more than the NHL. Sure one can argue the NFL, but at least they tell us what the injury is at least.

I bet Ovi's calf has him limping today.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
oVi Hat Trick

You know what that V stands for? Victory. Learn it, know it, be it.

alfred-eisenstaedt-winston-churchill,-liverpool.jpg

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'll say this - I didn't believe it when the article dropped last year, and I certainly don't believe it now, that it was Reirden's defensive master play that won them the Cup last year. This defense has been a mess all year. Even during the stretch where their goals against was low, it was mostly because of Holtby and Copley playing out of their minds.

You need to dig up the articles were Carlson and Kempny talk about how important Reirden has been to their careers.

Also this:

In his four previous seasons with the Capitals, Reirden was responsible for the team's defensemen. During that span, the Capitals have posted a record of 205-89-34 and ranked second in goals against average (2.45).

But those are just pesky things like FACTS.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
didn't watch the game. Saw Reirden's post game presser. Reminded me, sad to say, of Hanlon's post game presser the night before he was fired. He looked at a loss. Its worrisome.

Reirden is not the defenseman coach anymore. Maybe that is what needs to happen. He needs to get hands on again. It seems to me though, team wide, they are not playing their system. They have lost their structure. They have lost their detail. The league hasn't figured them out. They have lost their way.

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island

After seeing how Oshie played post concussion and then eventually we saw the cobwebs cleared... it can explain a lot of what we see. Sure, none it will ever be proven true one way or the other, but injuries happen and much more than we know. And no sport tries to mask injuries more than the NHL. Sure one can argue the NFL, but at least they tell us what the injury is at least.

Ive been 'hoping' that both Orlov and Nisky have been nursing injuries for a while now, otherwise I cannot come up with an explanation for their level of play, at least not an explanation that is good news for the team.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I disagree. I think the blue print on how to beat the Caps is now known by every team in the NHL. The Caps are not adjusting because the coaching staff is not experienced enough to coach this team through adversity.

Lol. You haven’t even given them a chance to “coach the team through adversity”. Good Lord.

Is the season over and they’ve missed the playoffs? Did you look at their record last year after 49 games? They had 63pts. They have 60 now. Basically the same.

What’s the hyperbole for, again?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The blue print. Oh please. Every Caps player says the same thing. They are not playing their game. The Sharks sure as hell didn't force them out of their game. Neither did Chicago. There is no blue print required to beat a team playing like the Caps are.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
I don’t remember that guy ever being a reigning champion? Did I miss something?
Yes. RS you're not that slow.
I wasn't using ol' Al (Alfred E. Neuman) to represent the Caps - although that wouldn't be far off lately.

I was using Al to represent some of the posters here. The Caps never had a stretch this bad last season.
I spend time on other teams pages - we're not that bad here. During Pitts slow start, many of their fans were picking various scapegoats, including Sully who just recently guided them to TWO SCs.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I refuse to believe this until I see TXPD’s medical report. Dr? Dr!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yes. RS you're not that slow.
I wasn't using ol' Al (Alfred E. Neuman) to represent the Caps - although that wouldn't be far off lately.

I was using Al to represent some of the posters here. The Caps never had a stretch this bad last season.
I spend time on other teams pages - we're not that bad here. During Pitts slow start, many of their fans were picking various scapegoats, including Sully who just recently guided them to TWO SCs.

It’s all far too premature. Better to suffer a collapse of sorts now — force the team to scramble a little bit — then near the end.

I’d like more wins. I really would, but this is Pro Sports, where the margins for winning and losing are so small. Bad streaks (and good streaks) can happen so fast.

As long as the Caps gets in. I don’t much care where. Honestly — Tampa in first round or Pitts. Or maybe the Isles win the division and the Caps are first WC. Or CBus.

Doesn’t matter.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Nice way to blow that lead. What the f*** was that?

Ovechkin, Backstrom and Oshie out there for about 2 minutes at the end of the game to pad their f***ing personal stats during a losing streak and they somehow manage to completely blow the game. Ovechkin goes for the empty net with 2 guys wide open on the other side and doesn't score and they blow it. That reminded me of Hemsky missing a break-away with an empty net and the other team going the other way and tying the game.

I don't really care about the regular season games all too much now that the Cup is finally won but games like this are maddening. They are on a longest losing streak they have had in a years and yet they are acting like they have already clinched the division. The top-line at the end of the game had been on for over an minute when Ovechkin deflected the puck to the Sharks -zone and none of the forwards went for a change when they all should have. I hope Reirden yelled ''Shame'' continuosly behind them after the Sharks scored.

Rant over. Atleast Burakovsky had a good game with scouts watching. Ovechkin had a great 59 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad