Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I was unhappy at the end of the game and then I saw these pictures:

cut.jpg

john-carlson-061418-getty-ftrjpg_vu60gm7rdavm1l6j8boz8nd85.jpg

AP_18163701704364-727x485.jpg

[mod] I can't like posts anymore. So, "I like" this post.

Last edited by a moderator:

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Well that was never gonna happen.

He has 32 games to get 14 goals for his eighth 50 season and I for one will be ecstatic.

Oh I agree. But 60 is such an achievement, and its within Ovie's reach. He's on pace for it exactly right now. If he gets it I'll be pretty ecstatic. Another back to back hat trick tomorrow would go a long ways for that goal.

I've started to realize that between maybe perhaps getting myself (like the team) content after last years win, having a still learning rookie head coach, the difficulty of getting to the Cup finals, and the extreme unlikelihood of winning back to back championships (historically), I'll be happy enough with this season if Ovie hits 60 again. Any playoff success is a greatly appreciative added bonus.

Next year tho..

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
What would you do about it?
Not gonna solve the run and gun, but for starters make sure that Ovechkin knows how long his shifts should be-- and also he should be in control enough to know to have a good defensive line on the ice for the last minute.

But also like, it's clear the defense needs some work. It is turn over galore on the back end, and Orlov has had horrendous positioning. It seems like these things should have been addressed but Orlov kept getting walked like every shift.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007

I get what he is saying but the team right now just cannot put it all together. Against Columbus and NYI we played tight defense first games and could not generate anything. Against Chicago and SJ we opened it up and our defense was atrocious. I am not sure if this is on the players or the coach but we need to be able to put both phases of the game together.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
I don’t think it’s even a hangover. I think they are tired and need some time. Holtby is loose. Defense is loose. New coach who hasn’t been top dog (ever). Some things to work thru.

I think they will. If they don’t? I can say they’ve won a Cup the last 2 years, and I know GMBM will set them up for another run.

Don’t worry. Be happy!
More like...

alfred_e_neuman.jpg

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Not gonna solve the run and gun, but for starters make sure that Ovechkin knows how long his shifts should be-- and also he should be in control enough to know to have a good defensive line on the ice for the last minute.

But also like, it's clear the defense needs some work. It is turn over galore on the back end, and Orlov has had horrendous positioning. It seems like these things should have been addressed but Orlov kept getting walked like every shift.

That's the truth, right there. Ovi had three chances to get off the ice in the last minute and decided that he really wanted another goal. That's fine if the team has won five in a row but this is not the time. Seriously, this game was in the bank.

It shouldn't even have gotten to that point if not for the boneheaded play by Kuzy. Again, time and place. When you are on a five game losing streak, it's time to prioritize high percentage plays and winning games.

Hell knows why Orlov is drowning out there. This one has me confused. I KNOW he is a better player than that.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I disagree. I think the blue print on how to beat the Caps is now known by every team in the NHL. The Caps are not adjusting because the coaching staff is not experienced enough to coach this team through adversity.

This would also be my concern. We all know this team has the talent and the ability, offensively, defensively, and in net. They've proven it by winning the Cup.
If other teams have "solved" the Caps then it's going to be very difficult to change the system, style of play etc. That will take time. Some of these "old dogs" may not be able to learn new tricks o_O

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles

Unfortunately, that is Caps hockey, at least currently, and under the watch of rookie HC Rierden. He himself needs to do a better job, just like his players

It’s definitely going to sting if Trotz & Lambert take the Tavares-less Isles deep into playoffs.

I think all the talk about “term” and dollar amounts misses the point on the trotz decision. I think it was more a matter of GMBM and Trotz not seeing eye-to-eye, and Mac having been whisker-close to firing him a couple times, and perhaps the job having basically been promised to Rierden, especially around the time when the team forbade other franchises from interviewing TR as an HC candidate.

Reminds me of the situation with the Kings when they first won the Cup. Their GM Lombardi looked as if he would be fired at any minute, and then the team made an unlikely run, and won the Cup. Difference being of course, that the Kings then kept Lombardi (and won another Cup two yesrs later, for what it's worth).

In truth, it wasn’t an easy decision which BMac was faced with, and we won’t know for a while longer whether he made the right choice. But Either way, it appears certain to have big ramifications, and at least in the short term, I don’t believe a Trotz team would be giving up as many goals as Caps are right now. Trotz just wouldn’t stand for it, even if it meant adopting a 1-3-1 formation, overplaying the grinders, and playing for the 2-1 loss instead of this 7-6, 7-2, 8-5 crap.

On a random side topic, Hertl is lethal in the Shankapotamous Spot, huh? Those were two perfect, lightning-release shots on the PP. I remember back when 77 used to occasionally connect on one of those. Good times.

Last edited:

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Another bad result, but to be honest if Mr Kuznetsov, Mr Oshie, Mr Burakovsky, Mr Backstrom are waking up a bit, I'm a bit more happy.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
At least it seems like it was a fun game. And Ovi scored a hatty.

I'm not worried yet. I'll start to worry if we lose game 2 and game 3 after the all star break. Don't know what will be the opponents and where we play, but if we don't get the W and we play poorly, maybe I'll start to think about some trades

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

I agree with his comments especially the part when he said even if they had won the game its not the way to play.
We are making a lot of very poor decisions. A lot of selfish plays. Ive never seen us play so undisplined before. It doesnt look like the team meeting helped.
I think Reirden has lost control of this team

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am not concerned in the least. I think Todd is following Barry's blueprint where he unleashes the boys midseason, to keep it fun and to also let the guys learn there is a reason to clamp down defensively.

All the talk after the game from players and coaches is bunk. Hockey is a very secretive sport and you will never hear a coach say I unleashed the players for 2 weeks. Remember 2 years ago when the Caps set a 100 year record for goals scored at home - maybe it was 5+ in X consecutive games whatevs. That was not a fluke, not a coincidence. And Holts complained that we needed to reel it back in (for his future contract no doubt). That too happened right before the all star break. Bruce did it back many years ago, I think the season we traded Clark, we went on a monster offensive tear right before the ASG. Everytime after the ASG, it was back to grinding.

Dare I think the Sharks were granted the same green light last night. Hockey is a long f***ing season and it doesn't get enough scrutiny in exactly how a coach manages that. Nor, how does a coach get his players to buy in. Short of an AHL grade roster, where they just outwerkya.

Last edited:

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I'm getting some real Norv Turner vibe from Todd. We are actually FINDING ways to lose games now.

I'll say this - I didn't believe it when the article dropped last year, and I certainly don't believe it now, that it was Reirden's defensive master plan that won them the Cup last year. This defense has been a mess all year. Even during the stretch where their goals against was low, it was mostly because of Holtby and Copley playing out of their minds.

With that said, I do like Todd, and offensively we are much better than last year. But I hope he can figure this defense out ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad