Post-Game Talk: The day the streak died. Champs v Shirks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
"Off with his head" suddenly comes to mind.
You know this is the exact reason i was concerned about giving Orlov a big contract signing. We got to pay this kid 5 million for the next 4 and half years! I could play better defense for that kind of money!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I feel like Maclellan screwed the pooch on the Reirden hire, but then again he’s a big part of our SC so I guess I owe it to him to trust his judgement. From here on (and for my own health) I’m going to try to ignore what my eyes tell me and just trust that whatever needs to be done GMBM will do, whether changes or patience.

That’s what a Cup win should buy. Right or wrong. We know far less than they do, so ride it out brother. It will all be ok.

Or it won’t and we aren’t the Champs.

But our guy has won 2 Prez trophies and a Cup in 3 separate years (in the last 4). He’s earned it (as has Trotz)

Reactions: calicapsfan

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
In BMac we trust.

brianmaclellan2018nhlstanleycupfinalip74rl6kgo0l.jpg

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
If I was Holtby I'd ask to be traded. This team is throwing our goalie under the bus.

If you want to ask to be traded from this board, I will work with you and help to set it up?

Defensive team— I think it’s obvious—— drum roll .....

The New York Trotzlanders!!!

Let me see who they will give up. BRB

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
At least this year it’s a championship hangover with a championship

I don’t think it’s even a hangover. I think they are tired and need some time. Holtby is loose. Defense is loose. New coach who hasn’t been top dog (ever). Some things to work thru.

I think they will. If they don’t? I can say they’ve won a Cup the last 2 years, and I know GMBM will set them up for another run.

Don’t worry. Be happy!

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I'm not even sure that's the REAL Todd Reirden we see behind the bench. It's more like some trick with CGI on a limited budget that prevents him from moving or talking much.
This team may actually be playing without a head coach :eek:
It is easier to believe this than to think that's how they're playing WITH a head coach

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I hate having to be always be the voice of optimism but all teams are giving up a lot more goals this season so the Caps aren't really "struggling" as much as people think relative to the rest of the top teams.

Bolts after 49 games - 15 more goals against this season than last.
Sharks after 52 games - 25 more goals against.
Jets after 48 games - 6 more goals against.
Jackets after 48 games - 10 more goals against.

Yes some teams haven't jumped up a ton but offensive is up and it is reflected in the amount of PPG players and the insane goal numbers we are seeing this season.

If the Capitals haven't leveled off by March I would worry but until then I just can't be pressed when I see how many goals are being scored every night.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The Caps need a coach who instills team discipline. Reirden is not capable of it. Reirden needs to be fired and it's time to hire Quenneville! I have not seen a talented Caps team this disorganized, since Bruce Cassidy was the coach!

Reactions: troyerlaw

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
The Caps need a coach who instills team discipline. Reirden is not capable of it. Reirden needs to be fired and it's time to hire Quenneville! I have not seen a talented Caps team this disorganized, since Bruce Cassidy was the coach!
You do realize they have been first in the division the majority of the season, right?

Reactions: Drakon

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Team defense is awful. Goalie play is suspect. Starting to question the decision to let Trotz walk.

I realize we are a "what have you done for me lately" group of people here at HF but the Caps went through a 19 game stretch were they gave up 2.33 goals against, and in 12 of those games gave up 2 or fewer goals and it happened THIS SEASON.

They can play good defense and good team defense and they can get good goaltending. It is the dog days and it shows, and not just with the Capitals.

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 10.51.37 PM.png

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
I realize we are a "what have you done for me lately" group of people here at HF but the Caps went through a 19 game stretch were they gave up 2.33 goals against, and in 12 of those games gave up 2 or fewer goals and it happened THIS SEASON.

They can play good defense and good team defense and they can get good goaltending. It is the dog days and it shows, and not just with the Capitals.

View attachment 178583
This. All this.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

View attachment 178583
I disagree. I think the blue print on how to beat the Caps is now known by every team in the NHL. The Caps are not adjusting because the coaching staff is not experienced enough to coach this team through adversity.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I disagree. I think the blue print on how to beat the Caps is now known by every team in the NHL. The Caps are not adjusting because the coaching staff is not experienced enough to coach this team through adversity.

How do you know that Reirden doesn't have an entirely different system that he will implement around the middle of March?

Also, Reirden is not some rube, he head coached in the AHL and was on the Pens bench for four seasons and another two with Trotz. Forsythe has been with the Caps through thick and thin for 13 seasons. Arniel has been coaching in the NHL for 15 seasons, including time as a head coach.

The only true new guy is Cashman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad