The Cycling Thread

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I admire Jens for being outgoing and outspoken, and ever highly entertaining on and off the bike.

However, it does not quite feel right that he holds the record. I think we all agree that Tony Martin in form would destroy his time?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I admire Jens for being outgoing and outspoken, and ever highly entertaining on and off the bike.

However, it does not quite feel right that he holds the record. I think we all agree that Tony Martin in form would destroy his time?

Probably. But good for Jens to get in there and set the record first. Guys have been talking about that record for a long time and nobody has attempted it. I don't mind Jens doing it. He will forever be in the record book as a one time holder of the record. I'm OK with that. It's almost as if he sets the current mark as a domestique for Fabian or Tony to give them a target to shoot for. A fitting end to his career.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
What's new is that Marianne Vos DIDN'T win the World Championship at Ponferrada. Crazy finish, Ferrand-Prevot new world champ, Brennauer silver, Johansson bronze. Bronzini only fourth :(

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Congrats Miko, great, intelligent race. :handclap:

Valverde is among the biggest losers EVER in the history of cycling: the guy will NEVER win anything notable. Boy, yet ANOTHER chokejob from him.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Valverde is among the biggest losers EVER in the history of cycling: the guy will NEVER win anything notable. Boy, yet ANOTHER chokejob from him.

He has won 2 LBL as well as 1 grand tour and dozens of victories in classics and grand tour stages, anyway I get what you say.

It is a shame that the most talented rider in the past 20 years will never dress the rainbow jersey, this was his last chance, and he didn't seize it. If only his cycling IQ were up to his legs...

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
He has won 2 LBL as well as 1 grand tour and dozens of victories in classics and grand tour stages, anyway I get what you say.

It is a shame that the most talented rider in the past 20 years will never dress the rainbow jersey, this was his last chance, and he didn't seize it. If only his cycling IQ were up to his legs...

2 LBLs and the Vuelta are the notable wins I give him, even though the latter smells of doping (whatever, I don't want to open a can of worms once again) and that's a PITYFUL palmares for such a talented cyclist.
You nailed it, this guy, along with Filippo Pozzato, are the most talented riders I've seen in the past 10+ years but the IQ is comparable to a rock. I cannot count how many times these guys have finished 2nd, 3rd or 4th in their career, geez...
Valverde in particular has been the favourite to win the rainbow jersey countless times because he can win EVERYWHERE, but every single time there's someone who beats him.
Total waste of talent.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Sagan is also trending that way this year... favourite everywhere but barely wins :laugh:

I do expect an unreal season coming from Sagan with oleg though

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Sagan is also trending that way this year... favourite everywhere but barely wins :laugh:

I do expect an unreal season coming from Sagan with oleg though

It will be interesting to see what kind of support Tinkoff gives him in the classics. And if they do, how well he adapts to having and utilizing a team. I'm not sure he has much experience working with teammates. Having a good DS/coach could be very beneficial to him.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Daniel Martin surprised everybody in the last 600 metres and won an exciting Giro di Lombardia.

Guess who came in second place? :sarcasm: Valverde...

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
Finally caught Slaying The Badger on netflix. What a fascinating watch.

I can see it from both sides, but what really got me was how full of **** Paul Koechli seemed.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Finally caught Slaying The Badger on netflix. What a fascinating watch.

I can see it from both sides, but what really got me was how full of **** Paul Koechli seemed.

Was that Hinault's DS? If I remember, he did sound like he was completely full of **** most of the time.

BTW, for those interested it (Slaying the Badger) can be found on youtube for free.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
Was that Hinault's DS? If I remember, he did sound like he was completely full of **** most of the time.

BTW, for those interested it (Slaying the Badger) can be found on youtube for free.

Yeah that was him.

fe090fb4a9da1f9967c35db.jpg

[SPOIL] I can obviously see why LeMond was pissed I get it and agree, but you can also see he knew in the back of his head that was just the kind of guy Hinault was. If he saw the opportunity, especially with something like a 6th maillot jaune, he would do anything to win.[/SPOIL]

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I don't know what's more impressive...

if the Froome/Contador duel already in february
or
the two out of this world sprints that Lobato gave us... those sprints reminded me of Sagan or Valverde in their best moments... just unreal

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I'm having very bad feelings watching Pozzovivo lying down... Shades of the poor Wouter Weylandt...

It seems he's moving though. Get well Domenico!

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I just finished watching the race. That was a scary thing to see him motionless on the ground. Reminded me a bit of Beloki in the tour back in the LA era.

Hope he makes a full and healthy recovery.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00