The Cycling Thread

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I imagine Oleg's having himself a beer, and then another.

This weekend:
- Saxo signed on as co-title sponsor for another year
- Valgreen won the Tour of Denmark
- Majka won the Tour of Poland
- He was finally able to announce the signing of Sagan.

You forgot to mention he also announced he's ready to go to war with the UCI over the Kreuziger case.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Sagan signing with Tinkoff Saxo is the best signing of the year.

Sagan with Saxo's fuel... huh, watch out for him next year, it could be a season for the ages.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
A cycling fan :p:

Juraj's purpose is to be the clown of the team... he would not even be the leader of a pro conti team :laugh:

He used to live around here. I'm not sure if he still does. One year early in Peter's career with Cannondale/Liquigas he (Peter) came to spend some time living and training with Juraj. He kicked some major but in the local mountain bike racing series.

http://raceoc.com/2011/06/01/may-31-race-photos-from-hirev-photo/

OTH_ppp0742.jpg

Peter goes for a mountain bike ride with Marco Fontana.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
The Vuelta is going to be roxors. I think they'll play wait-and-see with Contador. Let him round into shape as the race progresses. If he's still in the GC by that time, fine. If not, let him hunt a big stage win.

In other news:

FF to the bunch sprint. See Stybar go backside o'er teekettle? Yeah, I don't think he'll look very pretty in the morning. Nasty way to crash.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I still doubt Contador will be a contender, but this Vuelta is extremely promising :yo:

That's exactly why it will add even more excitement. There's already going to be some top riders competing for the win. If AC remains close after a couple of mountain stages, how do you defend against him or Tinkoff? And even if he clearly isn't in winning form, how do you deal with him as a domestique? If he attacks late on a climb, just how much time do you let him have? Or do you?

Looking forward to great race!

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
US Pro Challenge starts today. Predictions? Will Tejay defend his title? Will a non-American win for the first time? It's also the last race for Jens.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think the combo of Rogers and Majka will be hard to beat. Both are in top form and remember, Rogers won the Tour of Claifornia a couple of years ago. He likes riding in the US. I wouldn't call Tommie D a favorite but he certainly is racing in good form so anything is possible. But certainly Teejay should be right up there. Hopefully it will be a good race.

Jens will be all chromed out in his Trek bike and kit...http://www.trekfactoryracing.com/news/voigt-debut-custom-bike-kit-farewell-tour

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
So Kreuziger wonT be allowed to race the Vuelta (CAS ruling on the UCI suspension).

Really, it is my preferred outcome. Tinkoff-Saxo aren't going for a GC win anyways, where he'd be Contador's no. 2, so his presence could very likely just have been a distraction.

Tinkoff's conflict-seeking personality is entertaining, but imo, he needs to pick his battles (his remarks on Kalashnikovs and Utøya were incredibly distasteful).

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Tejay with a dominating ITT today to all but seal his Challenge victory. Didn't seem in any trouble this entire week.

Time to focus on the Vuelta. Predictions? I think Quintana may be in the best form, we'll see how Contador and Froome have recovered.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Quintana is my favourite, I think he will win rather easily.

Bouhanni with the win today, I would have liked to see him against the best in the last Tour de France.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Happy to see nobody got hurt on the finish today in the Vuelta. That was a nasty technical sprint finish.

No real surprise in the Pro Challenge. Tejay pretty much on form. Too bad Friday's race couldn't viewed due to weather. Colorado has some beautiful scenery.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I was surprised Martin finished so well. He prefers the steeper climbs. I didn't think this finish suited him. I am looking forward to see what he and Talansky can do in the mountains. With a little luck I think one of them could possibly make the podium.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
I really liked that finish. Seems like everyone had a go at it - punchers, climbers, GC contenders.

The 90 degree turns and the narrow bridge... Well, it made for a busy run-up to the finale, but there would have been a Twitter storm if it'd caused a crash.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Yeah, it's pretty amazing there wasn't a crash considering the narrow finishing roads, tight turns and the fact that it was a large group of riders still together at the end. Throw in the really hot weather and it could have been a pretty nasty finish. Thankfully it wasn't.

I noticed AC hung with the main contenders at the end. Maybe he's been playing possum with everybody.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->