The Cycling Thread

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Frank winning a stage like that is a-ok in my book.

The interesting bit about the Vuelta this year is that there are so many candidates to win, even this late in the race.

Aru, Purito, Dumoulin and maybe even Majka.

In terms of suspense, the last three stages have been somewhat underwhelming - nothing much happens until the very end - but the end result is that the guys are neck and neck in the GC. Should make for an interesting TT tomorrow.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It's been a great race so far if you don't have a dog in the fight. When's the last time a grand tour was so up in the air this late in the race?

I'll go out on a limb and predict the final podium...

1. Dumoulin
2. Majka
3. Aru

Looking forward to the finish.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Well, I sure got that wrong. But it continues to be a great race. Great ride by Aru to keep himself in contention. This thing could end up going down to the parade day into Madrid.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
After infinite second places, Sagan wins it in the most important day of the year, congrats to the new World Champ! :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:
Major props considering he didn't have a team, he won it completely alone. Fantastic!

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
That seems to be a very common theme among all cycling fans. A more talented Jens Voigt. The sport definitely needs it.

I don't see this. Voigt was a good cyclist which happened to be "rejuvenated" by Bjarne Riis (ugh), Sagan is a sprinter turning into an "all around cyclist". Class-wise Sagan is a couple of light years away from good ole Voigt.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I don't see this. Voigt was a good cyclist which happened to be "rejuvenated" by Bjarne Riis (ugh), Sagan is a sprinter turning into an "all around cyclist". Class-wise Sagan is a couple of light years away from good ole Voigt.

The comparison I was making was only their likability. That's why I called him a more talented Jens. People around the world loved Jens. Peter is becoming loved everywhere as well.

Talent wise there is no comparison. No argument there.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Not that Voigt wasn't talented, but Sagan is probably the 2nd most talented rider in the world.
Valverde being the first... who I'm guessing is going to fail again today and get another podium place

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
The comparison I was making was only their likability. That's why I called him a more talented Jens. People around the world loved Jens. Peter is becoming loved everywhere as well.

Talent wise there is no comparison. No argument there.

Now I understand. Yes, I loved Jens back then and never heard ANYBODY having anythign bad to say about him.

Nibali attacked on the downhill of Civiglio and managed to contain Dani Moreno chase to win the Giro di Lombardia today. Way to rebound after the embarassing Vuelta exclusion and a disappointing World Championship. :handclap:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
One more from California this year.

i-XTHsRwL-XL.jpg

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Yeah, the last two mountain stages were pretty amazing. Overall, it was a pretty entertaining race, especially if you had no dog in the fight.

Along those lines I was wondering if I should start another TdF thread this year. We've never had a lot of cycling talk but the TdF threads seem to bring out a few more each year.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah, I didn't see Cav winning much of anything this Tour. He just didn't seem to be what he used to be. But three stages so far... Impressive.

Col D'aspin today, but sadly there's a descent before they cross the line... We'll see what the GC guys make of it.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
The olympics are coming and all of a sudden Cav comes back to his best form... Suspicious but it's been entertaining to see someone else than Kittel winning sprints.
Shame about Coquard by the way, what an incredible sprint he nearly wins.

Hopefully Sagan goes and has some fun in one of the mountain stages... if they let the breakaway get the stage he might even get a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad