The curious case of Jamie Benn

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
His first real down year, I think most players have one. The question will be what happens next season.

If he gets back on track with his normal 70-80 point season.. good stuff.

If he has another bad year in the 50's.. then we can start questioning things more.

Right now it's too early.

I wish he did play better, and we all know he is a big game/big playoff performer so lets see what happens in the playoffs as well.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I’m pretty sure Benn is deployed as a shutdown winger at ES
His role is more then offence

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
So what's up with Jamie now? 3rd line duties last game - obviously the Stars are not paying 9.5 AAV for that kind of production. One of my favourite players, so it's disappointing to see him slip last year and start in quicksand this season.

badboy1994

Apr 11, 2016
So what's up with Jamie now? 3rd line duties last game - obviously the Stars are not paying 9.5 AAV for that kind of production. One of my favourite players, so it's disappointing to see him slip last year and start in quicksand this season.
He floats around the ice, doesn’t cover his man, Turns the puck over at the blue line, Dosnt back check, doesn’t score and doesn’t do anything.

Is his body just completely done and he doesn’t want to quit because of the money or is he just lazy and doesn’t care anymore because of his contract ?

I don’t know, but he sucks now.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He tries to do wayyy too much with the puck when he doesn't need to and does too little when he needs to do something. Forces stuff wayyyy too often

Reactions: Danythegod

LD29

Jan 19, 2019
He is getting old. Last year wasn't a down year. It was the beginning of his decrease

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Also, while we're on the topic, how the **** did he finish 12th in Hart voting the year he won the Art Ross?

I can only imagine the writers have a hard time giving a Hart vote for a player if his team missed the playoffs. Plus Tyler Seguin had a slightly higher points per game that season. So it might be tough in the sense of the Hart being "most valuable to his team."

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I can only imagine the writers have a hard time giving a Hart vote for a player if his team missed the playoffs. Plus Tyler Seguin had a slightly higher points per game that season. So it might be tough in the sense of the Hart being "most valuable to his team."

He also scored 13 pts in 5 games after Dallas had been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. So, he had 74 pts in 77 games that mattered.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
I know Benn was one of those guys that as a teenager he could not train all summer and just show up to training camp and be one of the best players one the ice. He never took hockey seriously until after his first pro camp and began working out in the off season. Maybe he never developed the off ice training intensity needed to keep him going for a full career and is starting to tailspin now.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I know Benn was one of those guys that as a teenager he could not train all summer and just show up to training camp and be one of the best players one the ice. He never took hockey seriously until after his first pro camp and began working out in the off season. Maybe he never developed the off ice training intensity needed to keep him going for a full career and is starting to tailspin now.

Honestly don't know if that's accurate, but I'd add that he doesn't seem to have a game that ages well- not elite at anything outside of maybe shooting, so when he slows a tick- I can see the two things combining. Never had to take it too seriously and now, shit, where do you begin? Anywhere would be good, but it's tough to turn on Crosby training mode for the first time this late in a career. If he's as you describe he wouldn't care either- some guys rise to the challenge, I think there is a minority of players who just say "good enough" and collect the money when the going gets tough.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
got that big fat paycheck in his pocket now, doesnt need to push himself anymore

smooth sailin baby

Reactions: TML1990

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Players like him never have longevity and he's north of 30 now

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
How does it look for him this season? Just looked at the stats and it doesn't look good.

got that big fat paycheck in his pocket now, doesnt need to push himself anymore

smooth sailin baby

He has actually looked good for a couple of weeks now (ever since Perry entered the lineup, Benn has been playing with purpose). With the way he's been playing the points should come. I'd argue Seguin has been even worse this season despite the point totals. Still though a $9.5m player needs to find a way to get out of this sooner than later. Stars have better depth this season but so far depth is all they have as the top guys (Benn and Seguin) aren't contributing offensively

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Honestly don't know if that's accurate, but I'd add that he doesn't seem to have a game that ages well- not elite at anything outside of maybe shooting, so when he slows a tick- I can see the two things combining. Never had to take it too seriously and now, ****, where do you begin? Anywhere would be good, but it's tough to turn on Crosby training mode for the first time this late in a career. If he's as you describe he wouldn't care either- some guys rise to the challenge, I think there is a minority of players who just say "good enough" and collect the money when the going gets tough.

Everything in my post after “maybe” is my own speculation. Everything before is fact.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3790895

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Why don’t the oilers give a third round pick and put him on mcdrai’s line for a season?

Instant profit (maybe :naughty:).
I agree that a 3rd round pick is what it would take but we won’t have one after another couple of months. You guys can use the 3rd round pick we give you for Neal for Benn though. Lol

:skull:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad