The curious case of Jamie Benn

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
He’s played very strange all season like it’s a different player. He’s been heating up these last couple weeks so I’m hoping he was just pacing himself for the post season. He’s been split up from Seguin/Radulov for a bit now. After those two there isn’t much scoring on the team.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The powerplay is also completely re-designed and no longer really works through him as anything but a garbage man. He only has 11 Points on the Powerplay while in previous years he had 22 , 26 , 30 and 23 .

Part of it that he wasn't that good on it but the powerplay is also clearly designed around Seguin , Radulov and Klingberg now. Jason Spezza has more powerplay points than Benn and he barely gets any icetime because he's no longer part of the first unit.

Pretty sure Roope Hintz has more powerplay points and goals ever since he's been put on the powerplay than Jamie Benn .

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
He's still got 27 goals, just hasn't racked up the assists. He's still playing strong most nights, IMO, just has a different role.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
No? He's got 75 points and has been playing fine defense as usual.

He's been exceptionally streaky this year, sure, but I think his performance as a whole is in line with the norm. Especially considering how poor Dallas has been at scoring most of the season.
Yeah I knd of over stated that but considering the high scoring and how well he played in the lower scoring years i would've expected a close to 90- 100 point season .

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Stars fans, has his hip surgeries affected his skating?

His skating looks normal, but its affected his effort maybe? :laugh:some nights he tries, some nights he doesn't so it's tough to tell

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
New coach, less ice time, second PP, comming from hips surgery ..

Maybe there is someting with Montgomery...I wouldn’t accept second PP ice time if I’m Benn...

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
What has happened with him this season besides the owner calling him out? His play looks to be subpar and points are looking to be one of his worst seasons since 16-17 and his rookie season.

Big, physical players seem to slow down at a younger age. See: Corey Perry.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also, while we're on the topic, how the f*** did he finish 12th in Hart voting the year he won the Art Ross?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
New coach, less ice time, second PP, comming from hips surgery ..

Maybe there is someting with Montgomery...I wouldn’t accept second PP ice time if I’m Benn...

He's on the first PP unit. Has been all season long. Wish he would be moved to the 2nd unit though

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah I knd of over stated that but considering the high scoring and how well he played in the lower scoring years i would've expected a close to 90- 100 point season .

Stars are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league. The lowest that will make the playoffs ( unless somehow Arizona makes it they're about as bad offensively as Dallas but worse defensively ) .

If you asked a person who only watched Stars games if scoring is up the answer would be " NO ! It's down and by alot ! " .

Reactions: bobbyking

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Plays a hard nosed game and came back from surgery on both hips at 29. Not exactly a curious case why he's slowing down..

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
his ice time is off nearly two minutes a game this year. he's slowing down.

dallas is a one line team so he can't be sheltered from tough match ups.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
his ice time is off nearly two minutes a game this year. he's slowing down.

dallas is a one line team so he can't be sheltered from tough match ups.

He's not on the one line though . Thats where Seguin and Radulov + someone else play .

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Needs time to get back to 100% from surgery.
But he is past his prime. He will be a good player but not the great player he has been

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
According to HF once a player approaches 30 that's it.

So basically Benn is done as an impact NHLer.:thumbu:
Nah, it's more the fact that he's down thirty points a season. That would worry me if my organization had him at $9.5 for six more years, but hey, you keep smashing narratives. :thumbu:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Nah, it's more the fact that he's down thirty points a season. That would worry me if my organization had him at $9.5 for six more years, but hey, you keep smashing narratives. :thumbu:
A player having a down season? The horror.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad