The curious case of Jake Muzzin

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
I'm not a Muzzin hater, but the fact that he's the clear #1 dman in the league according to corsi should tell you how misleading a corsi stat can be. :shakehead

It does not make sense to me that Corsi isn't a valuable stat to evaluate defensemen. A defensmen's number one job is to limit scoring chances, and so why would having a high Corsi percentage not correlate with doing your job.

For the case of generally considered top tier d men having lowish corsi percentages, one might argue that they limit quality scoring chances, but give up alot of shots, which would still make them good d men, but not be reflected in corsi.

However, Corsi tracks everything that could be considered a potential scoring opportunity, so having a high corsi percentage (and a low corsi for stat) means that you are limiting ALL shots, which would conceivably include high quality scoring chances. This, over a large sample size, seems like the better stat to have, a complete an utter smothering of the opposing teams offense.

Just my understanding on that, if you have another explanation, please enlighten me. I started this thread mostly to try to further my understanding on these stats.

Someone mentioned O-zone starts being a factor, and that could be a good explanation of Muzzin's stats; he definitely starts in the O-zone most and d-zone least.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
I'm not a Muzzin hater, but the fact that he's the clear #1 dman in the league according to corsi should tell you how misleading a corsi stat can be. :shakehead

as with every stat in everything in the history of stats. There are anomalies when dealing with tiny sample sizes

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Tom Preissing? Did they even have Corsi back then?

He had a great +/- one season though.

Muzzin is playing a lot better. The Corsi stats reflect some of that. He doesn't suck and is starting to play big minutes. 26:45 against Anaheim, second only to Doughty. If you want to know what Sutter thinks of Muzzin's play in any given game check his ice time.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Amart Pixie Dust was in effect to a sparkling record of 14-2-3 so far this season.

...and what's the record with Muzzin in the lineup?

The team has a record of 18-7-4, so it can't be bad.

Another quick question, what is the Kings' record since Muzzin was paired with Doughty?

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
...and what's the record with Muzzin in the lineup?

The team has a record of 18-7-4, so it can't be bad.

Another quick question, what is the Kings' record since Muzzin was paired with Doughty?

Muzzin was involved in every King's loss except 1 game. How's that for slanting a stat to emphasize a negative?

Edit: To answer the question completely the Kings are 14-6-4 with Muzzin in the line up. Which game did he start getting paired up with Doughty?

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Muzzin was involved in every King's loss except 1 game. How's that for slanting a stat to emphasize a negative?

Edit: To answer the question completely the Kings are 14-6-4 with Muzzin in the line up. Which game did he start getting paired up with Doughty?

I can't say with 100% confidence, but I believe it was around 10 games ago. Kings are 6-1-3 during that span. Opponents had not scored a goal 5-on-5 against the two of them until a couple of games ago, I believe.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Been trying to find data from back then but seems difficult to, but there was data showing how he was more than just a competent defenseman, until he came to the Kings.

But for those curious, enjoy these Corsi numbers from 2007-08:
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...00&teamid=14&type=corsi&sort=F20&sortdir=DESC

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...00&teamid=14&type=corsi&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

easier to order them like that

Looks live we gave up on Harrold too early!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad