The Chicago Bears move one step closer to moving to the NW burbs

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I hate the idea of Bears becoming a dome team

I get they want it so they can have more events at stadium but the Bears playing in dome, f*** that

Even a retractable roof all it does is let the light in and you see the sky. No skyline views.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
A domed stadium is a dumb move for the Bears, never give up the elements if they're a home field advantage for you, the Lions and Vikings both did it and since then neither has made a Super Bowl appearance. Before both teams played indoors they were tough to beat at home in the outdoors.

Reactions: Winger98 and Voight

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
A domed stadium is a dumb move for the Bears, never give up the elements if they're a home field advantage for you, the Lions and Vikings both did it and since then neither has made a Super Bowl appearance. Before both teams played indoors they were tough to beat at home in the outdoors.
If you're building your team around the off chance of having a marginal weather advantage in 2022, you're doing wrong.

How did that home field advantage go for the Packers in the playoffs last year?

Vikings had a great home field in the Metrodome and only missed going to a Super Bowl because their kicker missed a chip shot.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Arlington Heights doesn't have a skyline, so nothing lost there.
not much gained for the extra $200-$300 mill for a retractable roof vs a permanently fixed roof.

How many times a year does Lucas oil stadium in Indy get opened for an event? That’s the only retractable roof stadium up north. Dallas, Atlanta, Arizona, houston in the Warmer climates have retractable roofs.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
So they made an abomination out of Soldier Field only to ditch it. Nice.

Agreed but its the Bears, they weren't going to have much playoff success anyways.

Reactions: Lou is God

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
If you're building your team around the off chance of having a marginal weather advantage in 2022, you're doing wrong.

How did that home field advantage go for the Packers in the playoffs last year?

Vikings had a great home field in the Metrodome and only missed going to a Super Bowl because their kicker missed a chip shot.

Lol, it's not a off chance. I'm a Dolphins fan and I can tell you if all the teams in our division played in a dome we would have had much better success in December playing in the northeast and probably make the playoffs a few more times.

And I guess the Bills are doing it wrong, eh?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Lol, it's not a off chance. I'm a Dolphins fan and I can tell you if all the teams in our division played in a dome we would have had much better success in December playing in the northeast and probably make the playoffs a few more times.

And I guess the Bills are doing it wrong, eh?

Buffalo has no chance of ever getting a Super Bowl, Final Four, or CFP Title game. So the roof is of lower value to their market, it doesn't make business sense.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Buffalo has no chance of ever getting a Super Bowl, Final Four, or CFP Title game. So the roof is of lower value to their market, it doesn't make business sense.

Moving the goal posts, first you said it didn't matter in winning games and now it's about money. I get why the Bears want to build a dome stadium (for Super Bowl, Final Four, etc) but it will take away an important element of the home field advantage being the cold and wind. Home teams that play in cold elements will have an advantage against teams who play in warm weather or indoors, period. I don't how anyone can argue against this.

Reactions: Winger98
Sep 19, 2008
what's wrong with the current venue

it's a historic arena where the bears have played for generations. why is it suddenly considered a piece of shit?

that'd be like the sox moving from fenway.

Soldier Field has been around since 1924. Should we also move the Cubs from Wrigley too? What could possibly be the incentive for this "alleged move"?

Do we not respect history anymore? And tradition?

This move makes me very angry. I preface this by saying I've never set foot in Chicago and only been to O'Hare so I am not as well versed in Chicago affairs, I don't even like malort!

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I hope for your sake you're being deliberately obtuse.
What are you even talking about?

Only the old school, meatball types care about the Bears supposed cold weather advantage. Most of us want to see the team and our entire market brought into the 21st century with a world class venue capable of the hosting marquee events places like Indianapolis, Detroit, and Minneapolis have gotten and we haven't.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
What are you even talking about?

Only the old school, meatball types care about the Bears supposed cold weather advantage. Most of us want to see the team and our entire market brought into the 21st century with a world class venue capable of the hosting marquee events places like Indianapolis, Detroit, and Minneapolis have gotten and we haven't.
If you're a Bears fan, shouldn't winning take precedence over holding other marquee events? And "supposed cold weather advantage"? If you want to continue to act like playing in the cold elements is not a disadvantage for teams who are not used to playing in them, be my guest. It might not make a difference against teams like the Eagles and Giants that play outside in cold weather like the Bears, but against others it could be the difference maker.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
If you're a Bears fan, shouldn't winning take precedence over holding other marquee events? And "supposed cold weather advantage"? If you want to continue to act like playing in the cold elements is not a disadvantage for teams who are not used to playing in them, be my guest. It might not make a difference against teams like the Eagles and Giants that play outside in cold weather like the Bears, but against others it could be the difference maker.

That's all a bunch of bullshit. Again, how did that work out Green Bay last year?

I'd rather have the financial advantages that will come with the new stadium, that will hopefully have a bigger affect on winning than being outdoors...which hasn't helped at all in my lifetime because it's a myth.

• Haha
Reactions: Lou is God

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

it's a historic arena where the bears have played for generations. why is it suddenly considered a piece of shit?

Soldier Field has been around since 1924. Should we also move the Cubs from Wrigley too? What could possibly be the incentive for this "alleged move"?

This move makes me very angry. I preface this by saying I've never set foot in Chicago and only been to O'Hare so I am not as well versed in Chicago affairs, I don't even like malort!

Oh man, where do I start.

1st off, there is no history. Only the exterior is from 1924, the inside is 20 years old. And remember, the Bears didn't move there until the 70s.

Here are some of the big ones:
  • It's one of the smallest venues in the league, the size isn't worthy of a top 3 market (and largest single team market)
  • They don't own or operate it
    • They pay Chicago Park District rent and share several revenue streams
    • The turf is famously bad because of this arrangement (which Lou probably calls an advantage 🤣 )
  • Miserable stadium experience
    • Cramped concources
    • Awful concessions
    • Bathroom takes forever
    • Like 40% of seats are in the west grandstand that's awful to go up and down
      1662573032854.png
  • Horribly isolated
    • Far from public trans
    • Difficult to leave, practically everyone has to filter through a pair of tunnels
    • Parking sucks

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's all a bunch of bullshit. Again, how did that work out Green Bay last year?

I'd rather have the financial advantages that will come with the new stadium, that will hopefully have a bigger affect on winning than being outdoors...which hasn't helped at all in my lifetime because it's a myth.
It’s becoming a passing league. Old school mentally was that if you were a northern club that you needed to be a power run and defence team to play in the cold months.

Make it harder on your team to pay your QB big money and sacrifice something and then come big game PO you have to take the ball out of the QBs hands because of the weather and rely on a dimension of your offence that they may or may not be good at or rely on your defence which may be deficient in an area.

Whatever the bears opt to do it’s their call if they are the ones footing the bill for the stadium. Can see the reason for a dome. Outside of seeing the blue sky on a nice day there’s not going to be much advantage for the bears. Lucky to get 5/6 games with the roof opened.

Reactions: IU Hawks fan

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
It’s becoming a passing league. Old school mentally was that if you were a northern club that you needed to be a power run and defence team to play in the cold months.

Make it harder on your team to pay your QB big money and sacrifice something and then come big game PO you have to take the ball out of the QBs hands because of the weather and rely on a dimension of your offence that they may or may not be good at or rely on your defence which may be deficient in an area.

Bingo!

Team hasn't had a franchise QB in our lifetimes, but let's stay in the dark ages, that's the way to go :rolleyes:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

It was historic until they did that God awful renovation.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bingo!

Team hasn't had a franchise QB in our lifetimes, but let's stay in the dark ages, that's the way to go :rolleyes:
Harder to keep a collection of really good players around for a long time. No fly zone Denver defence only lasted a couple of seasons. LOB seattle D was dominant for a few years but that also ends once an area of the defence declines. Chicago D when Mack first arrived was elite but didn’t last long.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm with lou, use the weather to your advantage. I get the financial appeals of a domed stadium, but I don't think you can just discard the benefits of an open air stadium to the team on the field if you build the team to fit the stadium.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00