The Chia Bets

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If the Oil make the playoffs I’m going to come back and read all these threads.

Chia will still have his share of haters even if we make it to the WCF IMO. Why? Because we'd hear "with Hall here, we would've scored that extra goal" or "Strome may have had 4 playoff points, but Ebs would've rebounded and had 10!". It's the nature of the job, you'll always get flak for it almost no matter how good of a job you do. I for one don't think that our GM who was a finalist for GM of the year last season, suddenly forgot how to do his job. We are having functional special teams away from being a team that no one wants to play after the Christmas break IMO.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Chia will still have his share of haters even if we make it to the WCF IMO. Why? Because we'd hear "with Hall here, we would've scored that extra goal" or "Strome may have had 4 playoff points, but Ebs would've rebounded and had 10!". It's the nature of the job, you'll always get flak for it almost no matter how good of a job you do. I for one don't think that our GM who was a finalist for GM of the year last season, suddenly forgot how to do his job. We are having functional special teams away from being a team that no one wants to play after the Christmas break IMO.

Exactly, so many posters on here have such short memories. I agree that Chia has won most of his moves and with more time and experience this team will be better than it was last season. Giving opportunities to the young players was the right move as it gives the GM actual data/visuals to work with. The PK struggles were in large part to lack of experience but the players are learning. A lot went wrong but if this season is salvaged the development curve should pay off huge. If the Oilers make the post season watch out.

Reactions: LucicDestroyedHaley

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Chia will still have his share of haters even if we make it to the WCF IMO. Why? Because we'd hear "with Hall here, we would've scored that extra goal" or "Strome may have had 4 playoff points, but Ebs would've rebounded and had 10!". It's the nature of the job, you'll always get flak for it almost no matter how good of a job you do.

Amen. It applies to every fanbase in every city. Some fanbases may be a little larger than others, but that's really the only difference.

Nature of any sort of sports/entertainment job. You can't keep everybody happy.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

I said it months ago and I'll say it now: The biggest sin Peter Chiarelli has committed is that as good as this team can or will be, it's not as good as it could have been.

To imply that Peter Chiarelli should be beyond this type of criticism if his team is winning is reductive and shallow. He is the only man who got to build around Connor McDavid and I don't see any good reason to think he's done a better job than most others could.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I said it months ago and I'll say it now: The biggest sin Peter Chiarelli has committed is that as good as this team can or will be, it's not as good as it could have been.

To imply that Peter Chiarelli should be beyond this type of criticism if his team is winning is reductive and shallow. He is the only man who got to build around Connor McDavid and I don't see any good reason to think he's done a better job than most others could.

The team that he inherited was broken. Maybe someone could've done a better job, maybe they could've done a worse job. Ultimately Chia will be judged just like Connor will, by how many cups they will/won't bring to Edmonton.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think the upcoming offseason will define his tenure in Edmonton. Last year the team overachieved a bit on the backs of strong years from many players, then you've got the uncertainty around the expansion draft, the fact he had to get his two best players locked up long term in one off season, an important player with a long term injury, and a cap that didn't rise as much as some thought.

This off season he will have more of a performance baseline, no expansion and the bulk of the roster locked up, with the cap likely to take a sizeable jump. It's gonna be his make or break off season.

Reactions: PGW and Bryanbryoil

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Buying out Benoit Pouliot, one of the team's best penalty killers, when we had more than enough cap space to fit in his 4 million=loss

Signing Draisaitl to 8.5 million, even though almost every single one of his similarly performing peers were signed for 1-2 million less=loss. It doesn't matter that Draisaitl is playing amazing. The issue is that basically any GM except Peter Chiarelli would have signed Draisaitl for less. But instead we are saddled with the worst GM at negotiating in the NHL.

Re-signing Eric Gryba for 2 years=loss. He's a coke machine who shouldn't dress in NHL games, and could probably have been retained with a PTO while he begged us to take him back since no other NHL team wants him. But no, the worst GM at negotiating in the NHL handed him a 2 year contract to reward him for blowing chunks last season. For his encore this season, continued to make use of his patented "Gryba fails to clear the puck out of the zone" move.

Kris Russell for 4 yearsx4 million=loss. There is just no justification for this contract whatsoever. But instead of doing his due diligence and trying to find the best possible fit for the Oilers, Peter "I'm so lazy I didn't bother to see what other dmen I could've gotten for Hall since I tunnel visioned for one player" Chiarelli decided that Kris Russell was the only fit for the Oilers and overpaid him to an extent that UFA was deemed unnecessary. No team was beating that offer for Kris Russell and everyone involved in the process, including Russell and Chiarelli probably, knew it.

Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome isn't just a loss. It's a mega-loss. Not only does Chiarelli put the bowtie on one of the worst trades in NHL history by delivering Matt Barzal's ideal linemate to Garth Snow on a silver platter, the whole point of the trade was to make cap space, and he completely wasted that. If he'd used the 3.5 million saved from Eberle->Strome on good hockey moves, then I wouldn't be as pissed. Instead we hand Kris Russell a millstone contract, buy out Benoit Pouliot for no reason whatsoever, sign Draisaitl for more than every other one of his similarly producing peers, and worst of all, don't even make full use of that extra cap space. I mean we have 8 million cap space unused for Christ's sake, even if we account for McDavid, Pulju, Nurse etc's ELC bonuses, we still likely would have about 3.5 million left over. Perfect for just keeping our 30 goal scorer instead of trading him for a 30 point scorer.

Jussi Jokinen being a loss isn't the end of the world. Dude was a special kind of suck, but at least he does so for 1 year at 1 million. The problem is that Chiarelli brought him and Strome in and basically said to himself "I need no more work on the forwards" even though there were many clear holes that were yet to be addressed.

Matt Benning is not a win. Dude's been an inconsistent mess this year.

Auvitu is also not a win. Yeah he can contribute some offense and is not as frustratingly awful to watch as Eric Gryba. But his offense is not good enough to make up for the complete mess that his his defensive game and basically anyone can accomplish the latter.

Does Brandon Davidson really count as a win? He's been good for us. But keep in mind Peter Chiarelli traded him for the useless bum that was David Desharnais. The only reason we got the good Davy back was because Bergevin is even more incompetent than Chia as a talent evaluator, and Chia's own incompetence got us very high up the waiver priority ladder.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The team that he inherited was broken. Maybe someone could've done a better job, maybe they could've done a worse job. Ultimately Chia will be judged just like Connor will, by how many cups they will/won't bring to Edmonton.

The team he inherited is not the team that played in 14-15. He inherited Connor McDavid. He inherited a cash rich team with no salary constraints and probably a fraction of the marketing problems. He had nothing but young moldable playdo to work with. That was possibly the single best position for any GM to be air-lifted into and I see no credible reason to think most GMs couldn't have done just as well or better.

Reactions: PGW and Drivesaitl

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
The team he inherited is not the team that played in 14-15. He inherited Connor McDavid. He inherited a cash rich team with no salary constraints and probably a fraction of the marketing problems. He had nothing but young moldable playdo to work with. That was possibly the single best position for any GM to be air-lifted into and I see no credible reason to think most GMs couldn't have done just as well or better.

That's just it, his fail-moves aren't hindsight fails, we all knew they were fails when they happened. I respect the difficulty and knowledge needed to be a professional hockey general manager but I can't make the argument that any knowledgeable fan on these boards could have done a worse job with them. He had very tradeable assets that had value around the league.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Chia will still have his share of haters even if we make it to the WCF IMO. Why? Because we'd hear "with Hall here, we would've scored that extra goal" or "Strome may have had 4 playoff points, but Ebs would've rebounded and had 10!". It's the nature of the job, you'll always get flak for it almost no matter how good of a job you do.
Reminds me of politics. The good ones are tainted by the idiots and criminals.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
As of now I'd say that only 5 of these bets has panned out: Puljujarvi, Nurse, Khaira, Davidson and Auvitu. 6 if you take into account that Cammalleri while nothing special at this point in his career is still doing better than Jokinen was for us.

Strome, Slepyshev. Brossoit, Walker (meh), Benning and Caggiula have all been let downs to varrying degrees.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad