OT: The Chevy GM Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Went with some.

I'll be goving him this offseason to fix coaching, goaltending and hopefully defensive depth.

I will not judge him on future moves, but if he extends Maurice this offseason like I expect him too, then I will be moving up in concern. If Pavs comes back as well, goodbye me as a big fan next season.

Goalies and QB's are the most important positions in their respective sports, yet our two GM's continue to leave us lacking there. Is it a Winnipeg thing?

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
You can only draft and develop, add a piece here and there, plug one hole but leave others exposed for so long. I think we are seeing the organization reach it's breaking point in terms of it being time for Chevy to act, fill holes and get this team to the next level. If next season is a repeat of this season (not to mention last season), you just cannot spin your tires that long. I feel like we have maximized the additions via draft and develop, and we are at a point where the GM has to fill the gaps. I am not a believer in Paul Maurice but the fact is if Chevy doesn't address some areas of the roster that need addressed, that's not fair to any head coach.

This offseason is going to be a telling one, I think. I know we hear or say that nearly every offseason :)laugh:), but I really do feel we are at a crossroads here and Chevy has to act in order for this group/core/team to get to the next level.

I think we have a nice foundation but Chevy has to put it all together. Potential is nice but results are eventually necessary.

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Concerned? Some yes.

He's done some things well like drafting, contracts being signed "ok", trades completed "ok".

Everything else he's done or not done, has been poor.

Like all GMs he's a mix of good and bad, at the moment I'm very concerned based on his past patterns what the future will look like. Doing nothing but D&D isn't a recipe for success.....as I've stated for 3-4 years now.

Not sure if Chevy has what it takes to get us to the next level. Time to man up Chevy, stop being so meek and indecisive.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Most of Chevy's moves along the way seem reasonable to me. And I am happy he doesn't subscribe to the "quick fix", mortgage the future style of GMing. I generally agree with his approach to things.

That being said, we now have the team he has built. I'll give him next season to make the moves necessary to make the Jets competitive, after which point I will be calling for change as well. We should have been better this year, but I'll cut him that much slack to work with what he has built.

I respect your opinions Puck and I can't disagree with what you say here except insofar as it seems incomplete, like Chevy's work.

I can't "generally agree with his approach" because I don't know what it is. Is he taking a measured, patient, planned approach? Or is he doing nothing and hoping things work out? From our perspective it is impossible to tell.

I'm glad he doesn't do anything rash. I'm not glad he doesn't do anything. He has accumulated enough assets to allow him to make some moves but he hasn't made any. Perhaps the XD has got in the way but I anticipated that this season would see him move some assets for a good LHD. Nothing yet. XD? Who knows?

Every year there is some justification for giving him just one more year. When does that end? Yeah, I know, 1 more year. Well he will be up for renewal this off-season. Letting him go into his last season is not usually done and is a bit like painting a target on his back. A 1 year extension isn't much better.

I'm not sure what is the right thing to do with Chevy at this point but I do have very serious concerns. My faith in him is pretty low right now.

I've wavered pretty much the same way about Mau. I'm now pretty sure he has to go. I think pretty sure is as certain as I can get on the subject. So if Chevy extends Mau for more than 1 year I will be pretty sure that Chevy needs to go too. If he does nothing about Huddy and Flaherty, fixing our D and solidifying our goaltending, the same. That is all stuff for this off-season or sooner so I think that is the amount of time I can reasonably give him. Another whole year and he might have dug us into a pretty deep hole if he really isn't the man for the job.

Something I've said several times before but often forget myself is, 'look at the state of the organization, not individual moves'. Well, the Thrashers finished 7th last in their last year. The Jets finished 9th last in their first year. We are now solidly 3rd last in the 6th year. Most of the best prospects are playing on that 3rd last team so the farm team is near the bottom in the AHL. We have quite a bit of talent available and yet we keep losing and playing worse as we go along. We have some clearly identifiable weaknesses but we can't see any/much being done to fix them. Some of them have existed since day 1. How can that be a ringing endorsement of management?

I'm not on the "Fire Chevy" bandwagon yet but I'm looking it over for a good seat.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You can only draft and develop, add a piece here and there, plug one hole but leave others exposed for so long. I think we are seeing the organization reach it's breaking point in terms of it being time for Chevy to act, fill holes and get this team to the next level. If next season is a repeat of this season (not to mention last season), you just cannot spin your tires that long. I feel like we have maximized the additions via draft and develop, and we are at a point where the GM has to fill the gaps. I am not a believer in Paul Maurice but the fact is if Chevy doesn't address some areas of the roster that need addressed, that's not fair to any head coach.

This offseason is going to be a telling one, I think. I know we hear or say that nearly every offseason :)laugh:), but I really do feel we are at a crossroads here and Chevy has to act in order for this group/core/team to get to the next level.

I fully agree. This offseason is the make or break point for Chevy. There will no longer be an expansion draft impacting player movement. He'll have cap space and a sizable collection of assets. He needs to go out and really retool the bottom of our defense and add a strong goalie option. Doing nothing is not an option. Hand shake agreement or not he needs to critically ***** Maurice's job this past year and either mandate a system change for Moe or bring in someone who can incorporate the right system for this roster.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Went with "Some" concerns though the concerns should be relatively easy fixes;

- new coach
- veteran goalie
- LHD upgrade on 3rd pairing

Things that should take care of themselves are another hit on a high 1st round pick, and progression of the kids. I keep reminding myself the Hawks wandered in the wilderness for a decade accumulating their talent before transforming into a championship team. With Tallon getting turfed just in time for Bowman to get the credit.

I would be happy to see someone else get the credit for Chevy's work if that is what it takes. :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Actually, I think this season has had some unexpected results.

First, I think that although they do need more depth on D, they didn't expect Myers to miss the entire season, and the poor inconsistent seasons from Buff and Enstrom have been an unexpected disappointment. A defense like the following should have been better than shown...

Trouba
Buff
Enstrom
Morrissey
Myers
Postma
Chiarot
Stuart
Melchiori

Yes, he could have perhaps picked up a player on waivers, but I think they still see this as a development season, not a playoff run.

Second, I doubt anyone inside or outside the organization would have expected that demoting Pavs and keeping Hellebuyck and Hutch would give the Jets their worst goaltending season yet. Hutch fell off a cliff, and Hellebuyck hasn't been as good as expected.

Another down season from Perreault (in productivity) has made them rely too much on young players for offense.

I don't disagree that they need to make some moves, but it wasn't easy to forecast the performance of this season from the vantage point of last offseason.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There is so much I like about Blake Wheeler, but at the same time there seems to a lack of intestinal fortitude at times (for lack of a better phrase). I don't see the waning skills however.......yet.

That's among the last things I see in Wheeler. Don't have any idea what you are talking about.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Get a good coach and a veteran goalie = playoff team it's that simple.
Winnipeg will never be able to bring in top FA unless they over pay which would kill them in the salary cap. If Cheapman wants to win he is going to have to pay big bucks for a good coach.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
His inability to fix the goaltending for all this time, his inability to get a 3rd pairing LHD despite them being cheap to obtain and his inability to fire Maurice have me seriously concerned. Even if you disagree with the final one the first two aren't arguable at this point.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
His inability to fix the goaltending for all this time, his inability to get a 3rd pairing LHD despite them being cheap to obtain and his inability to fire Maurice have me seriously concerned. Even if you disagree with the final one the first two aren't arguable at this point.

Lots of very good defenses have at least one D playing their off side. With Myers, the Jets could put Postma or Myers on the 3rd pairing LD and that would be fine.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Actually, I think this season has had some unexpected results.

First, I think that although they do need more depth on D, they didn't expect Myers to miss the entire season, and the poor inconsistent seasons from Buff and Enstrom have been an unexpected disappointment. A defense like the following should have been better than shown...

Trouba
Buff
Enstrom
Morrissey
Myers
Postma
Chiarot
Stuart
Melchiori

Yes, he could have perhaps picked up a player on waivers, but I think they still see this as a development season, not a playoff run.

Second, I doubt anyone inside or outside the organization would have expected that demoting Pavs and keeping Hellebuyck and Hutch would give the Jets their worst goaltending season yet. Hutch fell off a cliff, and Hellebuyck hasn't been as good as expected.

Another down season from Perreault (in productivity) has made them rely too much on young players for offense.

I don't disagree that they need to make some moves, but it wasn't easy to forecast the performance of this season from the vantage point of last offseason.

That is completely irrelevant Whileee. Picking up Barberio would have made us better this year and in the future. Under the circumstances there is just no excusing that decision. It was a clear miss.

I'm still not convinced that our goaltending is the real problem. The play in front of all 3 has been awful. One way or another it goes to coaching. Otherwise we should expect the experienced, stable and playing for his NHL life Pavelec to have been able to at least match his career sv%. He isn't even close. In fact he is even worse than Hutch.

There have been several things that have not gone as expected but the GM is responsible for what happens not for what he expected to happen.

We can excuse away everything - again - except coaching IMO. That applies to Chevy if he gives Mau an extension and retains Huddy and Flaherty.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Borderline between some & serious. But because I'm expecting minimal action on the coaches this offseason & a new contract being offered to Maurice, I'm voting seriously concerned.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
That is completely irrelevant Whileee. Picking up Barberio would have made us better this year and in the future. Under the circumstances there is just no excusing that decision. It was a clear miss.

I'm still not convinced that our goaltending is the real problem. The play in front of all 3 has been awful. One way or another it goes to coaching. Otherwise we should expect the experienced, stable and playing for his NHL life Pavelec to have been able to at least match his career sv%. He isn't even close. In fact he is even worse than Hutch.

There have been several things that have not gone as expected but the GM is responsible for what happens not for what he expected to happen.

We can excuse away everything - again - except coaching IMO. That applies to Chevy if he gives Mau an extension and retains Huddy and Flaherty.

This^

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Too many have bought in to TNSE's spin about all this great young talent and vast talent pool the Jets have a monopoly on. Every team in the NHL has good young talent!

No way should a team be this bad six seasons in, 3rd worst in the league with recent losses to the two worst in the Avs and Coyotes!

Jets still a 2 line, 4 D team with poor goaltending, just like Oct. 9th, 2011!

If Chipman and TNSE don't clean house at the end of the season they shouldn't even own an NHL franchise!

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Agreeing over everything but the first paragraph. We never had a chance of getting Barberio, as Colorado had the first dibs at claiming him.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Chevy most likely is one of the lowest paid GMs in the league. That's the M.O. of penny pinching owner Mark Chipman.

I don't see how your guess of Cheveldayoff's salary is of any relevance.

If Pavs comes back as well, goodbye me as a big fan next season.

no don't go

I don't think they were actually looking for good goaltending until '15/'16. Hutchinson faltered, massively.

Morrissey would've been a terrific 3rd pairing LHD.

I don't think Maurice is done. He's too smart for that to be the system he wants to play. Especially with that roster. If he can't fix it, fire him.

Agreeing over everything but the first paragraph. We never had a chance of getting Barberio, as Colorado had the first dibs at claiming him.

Barberio cleared waivers earlier this year.

Geniuses with massive D problems such as Gorton and Nill passed on him, too, but obviously Chevy's a clown for failing to get him.

(Edit: my vote would be 'very slight', if that was an option.)

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I don't think Maurice is done. He's too smart for that to be the system he wants to play. Especially with that roster.

Maurice comes across as a smart guy, he seems relatively intelligent and insightful. I'm not sure what he's done in his time here to classify him as too smart. Granted it's too late to change his systems at this stage of the game but his lineup usage still baffles me at times. The only thing that prevents me from calling him too stubborn as opposed to too smart is the fact he's actually played a lot of youth this year.

Then again, Pav happened, so still not convinced.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I don't think they were actually looking for good goaltending until '15/'16. Hutchinson faltered, massively.

Really? What was the plan then starting from the 2011 season? Tank? Rebuild? Certainly could have fooled me with how we were bleeding picks and prospects on vets like Seto, Fehr, Tlusty, Frolik, Stempniak and Harrison without selling off pending UFAs like Jokinen, Hainsey, Anthropov, Wellwood, Seto, Frolik (I am sure I am missing a couple here). Signing vets like Jokinen could also have fooled me. Sticking with and signing existing vets to long term deals like Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Buff, Enstrom and not moving them for picks and prospects is certainly a sign of a team deliberately trying to lose to rebuild.

Let's call a spade a spade here. The Jets were most certainly trying to make the playoffs every season. If they weren't looking for good goaltending until the 15/16 season, that's just straight up incompetence. What actually happened is that the Jets signed Pavelec to a bad contract and being as cheap and unwilling to accept their mistakes as they are, they trotted him out year after year hoping against all logic that he'd give them good goaltending and not make that contract look so bad. It wasn't Hutch that faltered, it was Chevy and Chipman that faltered. Even if they had stuck with Pavelec but just swallowed their pride enough to sign a cheap goalie to challenge Pavs in free agency each year and made him challenge Pavs, the goaltending situation is likely solved by now.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I think we have a nice foundation but Chevy has to put it all together. Potential is nice but results are eventually necessary.

I fully agree. This offseason is the make or break point for Chevy. There will no longer be an expansion draft impacting player movement. He'll have cap space and a sizable collection of assets. He needs to go out and really retool the bottom of our defense and add a strong goalie option. Doing nothing is not an option. Hand shake agreement or not he needs to critically ***** Maurice's job this past year and either mandate a system change for Moe or bring in someone who can incorporate the right system for this roster.

It really does seem like the organization is willing to let the team bounce along the bottom one more season in hopes of picking up another important future piece. And agreed this off season needs to be the transition time. It will be interesting what happens at the XD, entry draft and lead up to free agency when the biggest trades are made.

IMO the biggest question with Chevy for me is can he go from acquisition mode to winning mode. The organization is most definitely on a different time table then it's more impatient fans.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It really does seem like the organization is willing to let the team bounce along the bottom one more season in hopes of picking up another important future piece. And agreed this off season needs to be the transition time. It will be interesting what happens at the XD, entry draft and lead up to free agency when the biggest trades are made.

IMO the biggest question with Chevy for me is can he go from acquisition mode to winning mode. The organization is most definitely on a different time table then it's more impatient fans.

I agree. There is every indication that the Jets decided to reshape the roster and the core after 2015, and realized that an accelerated youth movement would be necessary for a couple of seasons. I think they won't mind a top 8 pick and then reshaping the roster after the expansion draft.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yeah it certainly seems that the org was ok with a low finish. Unfortunately I'm not sure we get an elite piece with a lottory pick.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice

Agreed. Completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad