OT: The Chevy GM Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
I was firmly in his corner until this season. Performance paralysis is not a desirable trait for a GM and Chevy seems to be unable to make any meaningful move to deal with on or off ice issues until he is absolutely forced by circumstance to react to a situation that has gotten out of control.

Maybe ownership has made it impossible for him to make a move or maybe he just needs to be told what to do. Either way the guy is not able to deal with his team's needs, whether they be personnel, coaching or organizational. Hopefully Mr Chipman is up to taking care of his responsibilities. We will soon see.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
I was firmly in his corner until this season. Performance paralysis is not a desirable trait for a GM and Chevy seems to be unable to make any meaningful move to deal with on or off ice issues until he is absolutely forced by circumstance to react to a situation that has gotten out of control.

Maybe ownership has made it impossible for him to make a move or maybe he just needs to be told what to do. Either way the guy is not able to deal with his team's needs, whether they be personnel, coaching or organizational. Hopefully Mr Chipman is up to taking care of his responsibilities. We will soon see.

Excellent post larmex and exactly where I am at as well.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Not much more discussion.
Look at the results or lack thereof.
Without moves in the front office and coaching ranks expect more of the same.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
If Chevy fires Maurice and signs a good goalie then I give him a pass. If not, then Chevy is a horrible GM and has hopefully sealed his doom

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Most of Chevy's moves along the way seem reasonable to me. And I am happy he doesn't subscribe to the "quick fix", mortgage the future style of GMing. I generally agree with his approach to things.

That being said, we now have the team he has built. I'll give him next season to make the moves necessary to make the Jets competitive, after which point I will be calling for change as well. We should have been better this year, but I'll cut him that much slack to work with what he has built.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Most of Chevy's moves along the way seem reasonable to me. And I am happy he doesn't subscribe to the "quick fix", mortgage the future style of GMing. I generally agree with his approach to things.

That being said, we now have the team he has built. I'll give him next season to make the moves necessary to make the Jets competitive, after which point I will be calling for change as well. We should have been better this year, but I'll cut him that much slack to work with what he has built.

Other than at the goalie position, he has built a really good and talented team. However his coach is remarkably bad at selecting appropriate schemes and systems and holding the players accountable-especially the vets. Horrible coach-I can't believe Winnipeg uses a M2M defensive coverage system! No other NHL team does this! And for good reason! It always creates high event chances against and tends to muck up the transition game as well!

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
None.

I think Chevy is following the plan set out by True North. If True North decides the plan is to start making bold moves, I believe Chevy can make it happen.

Goaltender position has been a fail but I was (along with most here) with sending Pavs down and going with Helle and Hutch tandem. Chevy will address this issue in the offseason.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
It was a year of development. I was not expecting Chevy to make major moves to the line-up. Part of this year was a "see what you got", like our goaltenders. The Myers injury duration was unexpected, exposing the weak defensive depth we have.

Making moves with an expansion draft coming up and us not really expecting to do too much this year in terms of playoffs doesn't make sense to me. Chevy largely sitting on his hands was the right thing to do (again).

But I do have more expectations of Chevy this offseason after the expansion draft. Some changes need to be made.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Coaching and goaltending repairs will do wonders for this team. These don't seem to be unreachable goals even for a GM with a reputation for glacial nimbleness.

If those are targeted and accomplished, the Jets will have a chance.

EDIT: I cannot vote yet, too junior. If I could I would have voted SOME concerns.

Last edited:

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Not bringing in defense this year has me scratching my head.

Honestly though, the expansion draft handcuffs any possible trades this season and that's part of it

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

This is close to where I stand. I haven't voted yet and would have liked more options to vote on. My main concern is Chevy able to take on a transition from building to winning? IMO he has done most things right to this point. First and foremost he assembled lots of good young talent. But he is appearing a little too patient to take the next step to transition to winning. Like you I will see what he does this off season. A high draft pick, a veteran goalie and a LHD upgrade for the 3rd pairing are all basic requirements now. But let's do this all with a new coach.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Goaltending and coaching needs to be addressed. Then we are heading to the playoffs next year. If they are not addressed then we don't make it.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Goaltending and coaching needs to be addressed. Then we are heading to the playoffs next year. If they are not addressed then we don't make it.

Hopefully he doesn't follow his usual MO which is to hold off until the face plant is so obvious and so complete that there is no choice but to make a move. Knocking Chevy isn't about him not making bold moves but to me the failing he exibits is failure to notice the light at the end of the tunnel is a train coming his way. A good GM will be aware of his team having the worst goaltending in the league for 6 years and actually try to improve it in a way that doesn't mean waiting 5 years to see if a draft pick works out. Not talking about a huge trade for a top 5 goalie.......just picking up a veteran to get us to middle of the pack.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
I don't know that I was expecting to make the playoffs this year with their build plan, I do think the GM issue is still serious, but something is really beginning to stink with this entire organization.

There is a mix of stench from all 3 : Management, Coaching, Player personnel. Good God, this team appears to be merely a shadow of the team from earlier in the year...and we have no significant injuries!

I would agree with several posters from other threads; the entire organization is very reminiscent of the Oilers pre-McDavid era.

So frustrating....

I've only got 3 games left. I was hoping to watch meaningful hockey, now the only meaningful part is that the Penguins are one of the teams, I have the Heritage Jersey night, and also Scheif Bobblehead Night.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Chevy has been managing this team for six seasons. So far we have zero playoff wins, and we are worse than year one. Are you concerned about Chevy and his mismanagement of the Jets players?

What Chevy has done with this team should be more aptly named: mismanagement!

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Everyone said with FA's they won't want to come here, Jets had a useful #3-4 line player that wanted to stay here and wasn't asking for a lot, management said he didn't fit into the plans, so what exactly is the plan drafting number ones in the 1-10 slot every season for ten years?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm not quite going full pitchfork mode just yet. But he has had as long a leash as anyone and hasn't done much but nail our first round picks.

His patience looks like it is about to pay off in spades at times. But every step forward we take seems to be squandered by said patience.

I loved what he was doing after the year we made playoffs. Figured signing some cheap veterans that could be disposable as our young players moved up the lineup was an awesome way to slowly build up a team. As oppose to the Oilers or Sabres blow it all to pieces and have to rebuild a culture.

I imagined our average veteran core of LLF, PSW, 39-33, 8-57 being supported by a young kick ass bottom six with Ehlers and Morrissey.

Instead, he ditched Frolik and Stemp and had Ladd bail on another retool. We are back where we were in 2011 with more talented players but way WAY less playoff experience. Lowry isn't even as good as Antropov, Petan is basically Wellwood. D is better on paper but almost as bad as year 2.

Tickets are starting to sell for less and less. That will certainly get Chipman's attention... see how it goes I guess.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Theres really no defensible position at this point regarding Chevy's tenure here.
Simply look at won-loss overall and final standings year to year.
Beats the heck out of me where this improvement is.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
take out chevys gimmie 6 inch putts on 1st round picks and he is the worst gm in hockey period

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
Theres really no defensible position at this point regarding Chevy's tenure here.
Simply look at won-loss overall and final standings year to year.
Beats the heck out of me where this improvement is.

Agreed
Since Chevy took over when the Jets returned we have finished
22nd
18th
22nd
14th - made playoffs (swept in first round)
25th
and now were 28th in the league and are likely going to finish there

I get that our team is younger and is building for the future, but we are definitely a worse team than when the Jets arrived.

I think Chevy drafts well (aside from Laine who we were gifted) but that's pretty much it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Went with "Some" concerns though the concerns should be relatively easy fixes;

- new coach
- veteran goalie
- LHD upgrade on 3rd pairing

Things that should take care of themselves are another hit on a high 1st round pick, and progression of the kids. I keep reminding myself the Hawks wandered in the wilderness for a decade accumulating their talent before transforming into a championship team. With Tallon getting turfed just in time for Bowman to get the credit.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Went with "Some" concerns though the concerns should be relatively easy fixes;

- new coach
- veteran goalie
- LHD upgrade on 3rd pairing

Things that should take care of themselves are another hit on a high 1st round pick, and progression of the kids. I keep reminding myself the Hawks wandered in the wilderness for a decade accumulating their talent before transforming into a championship team. With Tallon getting turfed just in time for Bowman to get the credit.

Hi KB
Don't agree with you much of the time but I always respect different views.
Some of these fixes you correctly point out aren't new.
I think this is where us unhappy with Chevy folk are coming from

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad