CFL: The CFL thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Moncton or Halifax I think will get a team within the next few yrs. Be nice to have a CFL team here in Atlantic Canada.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Moncton or Halifax I think will get a team within the next few yrs. Be nice to have a CFL team here in Atlantic Canada.

The Halifax ownership is in place. They have been working with the CFL for years already. The league has but said that Halifax is approved for a team, once they get a stadium. They've met with Moncton about perhaps starting the franchise there for a year or two while stadium builds since Moncton has a small stadium, but good enough to start. As soon as the ownership and the Halifax/Nova Scotia government work a deal on a stadium the team will be announced. A few years is almost being pessimistic, we might see the team announced as soon as 6 months to a year, IMO. I could see them starting play as soon as 2020.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Is it me or has the name value of coaches in the CFL gotten better?

Just curious, how do you figure? Trestman and June Jones are probably the only two that non-CFL fans have likely heard of.

I would say the quality of coaching right now is pretty good across the the board. Almost like QB quality, the league seemed to hit a real lull about a decade ago, but has rebounded well. Montreal is the only place where I'd say coaching is an out and out problem. Also probably the only team where QB play is going to be bad with no hope of improvement. Drew Willy still being employed in a starting capacity is...about what I'd expect from Kavis Reed.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Just curious, how do you figure? Trestman and June Jones are probably the only two that non-CFL fans have likely heard of.

I would say the quality of coaching right now is pretty good across the the board. Almost like QB quality, the league seemed to hit a real lull about a decade ago, but has rebounded well. Montreal is the only place where I'd say coaching is an out and out problem. Also probably the only team where QB play is going to be bad with no hope of improvement. Drew Willy still being employed in a starting capacity is...about what I'd expect from Kavis Reed.

Having Jerry Glanville as a DC for Hamilton. I mean, it's Jerry fin Glanville

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Almost like QB quality, the league seemed to hit a real lull about a decade ago, but has rebounded well. Montreal is the only place where I'd say coaching is an out and out problem. Also probably the only team where QB play is going to be bad with no hope of improvement. Drew Willy still being employed in a starting capacity is...about what I'd expect from Kavis Reed.

There's always hope. That Schiltz guy has shown some promise.

Interesting short video on tsn the other day. 7 of the 9 current starters have contracts expiring at the end of the year. It might a whole new look next year.

Ray in Toronto has to be in his last year. Considering how Franklin felt about backing up last two years, him re-signing means to me that Toronto has told him that Ray is retiring at year's end. Mitchell in Calgary is a little old at 29 next year, but wouldn't surprise me if he takes one crack at the NFL here. Jennings is falling apart, based on how he looked in pre-season against a defense that was almost entirely released by the Bombers last season is much more indicative of what he'll do this year rather than 2 years ago. Masoli showed promise last year so we'll see. As you mention Montreal has Willy. Reilly is a FA and while very likely to return to Edmonton, he could name his price anywhere. Collaros had as many wins in 2017 in CFL as Bombers week one starter Chris Streveler (who was in college). Who knows what'll happen with him. They didn't indicate but I believe Nichols and Harris are the only 2 that TSN was talking about with contracts next year, but both have issues (Nichols is injuries, Harris is inconsistency).

The league has been relatively stable the last couple years (BC, EDM, CGY, WPG, TOR, OTT haven't changed starters for 3 years now) but it looks like this all might change next year.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The thing is, it's pretty hard for people that don't have a coaching or playing background to properly evaluate line play and the relative value of a good receiver versus that of an outside linebacker, for example. What makes Stanley Bryant a better O-lineman than Matt O'Donnell? I honestly don't know, but I'll trust Chris Walby's opinion on it. Just a regular media member though? Have to take that with a grain of salt. I think the top 5 is pretty much how I'd rank them, after that who knows.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Season officially gets underway tomorrow. Big opening game as Edmonton is in Winnipeg. Bombers have a new look secondary and a much improved pass rush and linebacking core. They should handle the weak Edmonton O-Line and running game fairly easily, but can they stop Reilly and the Esks vaulted passing offense? The Esks DB corps is banged up to all hell but the Bombers will be the first team in 24 years to start a QB start out of college. If Streveler can get the ball into the hands of the playmakers like Demski, Adams, Harris they will have a chance. The run game will remain the strength of the Bombers offense. The Esks have a real good D Line, but they are facing perhaps the CFL's best O-Line in Winnipeg.

I think the Bombers will take this one, but it could go either way. It's supposed to be a beautiful day out here tomorrow, I know I'll be down at the stadium 3 hours early for some tailgating. First game of the year, can't be more excited (well ok if Nichols was playing I'd be a little more excited).

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
With the season starting tomorrow, bod predictions?

Mine is Manziel takes over for Masoli and leads the Cats all the way to a Grey Cup win..... This prediction is filled with my season ticket holder over optimism that I go into every season with

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Having Jerry Glanville as a DC for Hamilton. I mean, it's Jerry fin Glanville

I'll be honest, I had to look up who that was.

I should point out that most fans would of course know who Mike Sherman is too, neglected to mention him in my previous post.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I think Edmonton pulls it out tomorrow on the strength of the presumed mismatch at QB, but Winnipeg should not be written off just because Nicholls is out. If Mike Benevides continues to run his conservative/no blitz defenses, it plays right into the hands of a team starting a raw rookie with Harris at his disposal. Three starters out in the defensive secondary is worrisome as well. So I think the Bombers are still going to score a good amount of points. This game probably gets decided by the turnover battle, and I give the Eskimos the edge there with Reilly going up against a rookie.

I'll call 32-25 Eskimos. Good matchup to get a new season off and rolling.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

I should point out that most fans would of course know who Mike Sherman is too, neglected to mention him in my previous post.

I know CFL tends t attract more talent as the Loonie reaches par but still, coaches are not under a salary cap.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
What the hell, here's my season predictions

CGY 12-6
WPG 12-6
EDM 11-7
BC 7-11
SSK 7-11

TOR 11-7
OTT 9-9
HAM 8-10
MTL 4-14

Semis
WPG beats EDM
OTT beats HAM

Finals
WPG beats CGY
TOR beats OTT

Grey Cup
WPG beats TOR

Yeah my bold prediction is that the drought ends this year. Winnipeg is going to win the Grey Cup.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I know CFL tends t attract more talent as the Loonie reaches par but still, coaches are not under a salary cap.

I'd imagine some of the coaches up here that spent time in the NFL appreciate the fact that a coach in the CFL is more like a normal job, as opposed to the ludicrous 16-hour day/heart-attack inducing occupation that an NFL coach has evolved into.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'd imagine some of the coaches up here that spent time in the NFL appreciate the fact that a coach in the CFL is more like a normal job, as opposed to the ludicrous 16-hour day/heart-attack inducing occupation that an NFL coach has evolved into.
Money can sometimes cause madness.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Holden, if Winnipeg is in the Grey Cup game, I will definitely be supporting them (unless a crossover situation creates an Esks-Bombers GC). But I'm afraid your drought will have to continue an extra year; it's time for the Eskies to celebrate their 70th season with a home town championship!

CGY 12-6
EDM 11-7
SSK 11-7
WPG 10-8
BC 7-11

TOR 10-8
HAM 9-9
OTT 8-10
MTL 3-15

EDM beats SSK
WPG beats HAM

EDM beats CGY
WPG beats TOR

Eskimos beat Winnipeg in the first all-West Grey Cup!

Feb 24, 2017

Yeah. He wasted a large part of 4’s career.

But he is a good man. I think he was willing to go toe to toe with Warren Sapp for his cheapshot on Chad Clifton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad