OT 19/3: Closed for Renovations

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Episode 2 of the first season. Make no mistake I really enjoyed the first episode. I think it's just the idea of tackling an entire franchise that's daunting. And by the looks of it I don't have enough time in my schedule to the necessary amount of binge watching for the show lol.

I'll get on board eventually but a huge pet peeve of mine is starting something and not being able to follow through with it
Keep watching for Bobby B (Robert Baratheon) and Khal!

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah I feel you - the last Maiden concert bummed me out the sound was so bad - if I didn't already know all of the words I probably would have gotten zero enjoyment. But with Festivals, you are switching out so much equipment that it's probably tougher to get stable sound. I would imagine Metallica was the headliner of this show - were they all on one stage? Sounds like an insane line up.

I'll never forgive myself for missing out on Dio-fronted Black Sabbath (they toured as "Heaven and Hell" once Ozzy came back to the band), with Motorhead and Judas Priest when I was younger. Now Dio and Lemmy are both gone forever. :(
Ha yeah, did Maiden have three if not four guitarists on stage at the same time too? There's a lot going on on their shows with Eddie and the flags and all that shit. Maybe they did care about all that stuff and the lighting and forgot the sound check...

Metallica was the headliner, everytime they were in town and in the festival's lineup, yeah. They even bring their own lighting crew with controllable seats under the stage's roof so each artists gets his own spotlight on them at all times. Madness. Pretty sure they just took over the mixer console with their own guys. Sound was crisp and full as hell. If only Hetfield didn't stop drinking he'd still have had his killer end-90's voice.

I saw Slayer two times but all the bands listed took the stage before or after them or at least the same day. So no clue why their sound was so extremely bad in comparison. But not all of the bands were in the lineup the same year (too bad).

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Ha yeah, did Maiden have three if not four guitarists on stage at the same time too? There's a lot going on on their shows with Eddie and the flags and all that ****. Maybe they did care about all that stuff and the lighting and forgot the sound check...

Metallica was the headliner, everytime they were in town and in the festival's lineup, yeah. They even bring their own lighting crew with controllable seats under the stage's roof so each artists gets his own spotlight on them at all times. Madness. Pretty sure they just took over the mixer console with their own guys. Sound was crisp and full as hell. If only Hetfield didn't stop drinking he'd still have had his killer end-90's voice.

I saw Slayer two times but all the bands listed took the stage before or after them or at least the same day. So no clue why their sound was so extremely bad in comparison. But not all of the bands were in the lineup the same year (too bad).
Three guitarists, but I'm almost positive they don't plug in Janick Gers' guitar. :P

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Episode 2 of the first season. Make no mistake I really enjoyed the first episode. I think it's just the idea of tackling an entire franchise that's daunting. And by the looks of it I don't have enough time in my schedule to the necessary amount of binge watching for the show lol.

I'll get on board eventually but a huge pet peeve of mine is starting something and not being able to follow through with it
Episode 2 made me sort of want to quit. It felt super cliche for all the hype about it being this groundbreaking show. It does get way better quickly though.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Episode 2 made me sort of want to quit. It felt super cliche for all the hype about it being this groundbreaking show. It does get way better quickly though.

I saw part of Episode 2. I was again very satisfied with it. I don't mind a slow show as long as there's some kind of direction being taken.

I was a huge Walking Dead fan and the moment it died for me was (Eugene I think?) saying that he was not a scientist and that this shred of hope heading towards Alexandria was just gonna be more of the same nonsense. OOOOH goody we get Neegan!! Then what happens? The next bunch of bad guys comes along and we're supposed to worry about THEM!

I don't care about gore, zombies and survival of characters that I'm somehow supposed to have some sort of attachment to. Survival implies that you get out of said situation. Not that you remain in it indefinitely so the main writer can indulge himself for as long as the franchise makes him money. I once read a quote he made about giving details on the zombie breakout as saying it was pointless and something along the lines of "You're stranded at sea but your life vest was made in (country I cannot remember)" Why should I be attached to people who are made to suffer? I no longer care about ANY of these people because the direction of the show has made it clear that they have no future to live for. If I could see some kind of motive I'd be invested.

For example, I grew up watching Dragon Ball Z in the 90's on Cartoon Network when I was in grade school. It follows a precise -if not exact formula to TWD. Super bad enemy comes along and we gotta beat them. But these people are HAPPY. There's actual hope in beating the bad guy. So that gives me a reason to care. With TWD there's no reason to care. All I can say is thank God I watched all of Breaking Bad first because I don't think I ever would have started it after this. Honest to God, fearing I won't have enough time to be hooked in and TWD burnout has stopped me from enjoying probably the best show of all time

I'm sorry to carry on but it just burned me out... I guess I just don't want people to think I'm insane

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

To be honest - and much like with Breaking Bad - the first couple episodes didn't really hook me (at all). They're slow-ish and meant to set up the plot and characters. Once you're through it it gets rewarding really quick IMO.

Time (or the lack of it) is the biggest problem with these shows these days. Ideally you binge through them to get the most out of it. Stranger Things 2 and a few other series / seasons are still on my to-watch list but I just don't have the time. Being (or pretending to be) a grownup sucks!

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It's time for our quarterly defense of net neutrality. Another FCC vote is scheduled for Dec 14th.
battleforthenet.com

Basically if net neutrality is ended, it'd be the equivalent of it costing more to call certain businesses or people, but for the internet box.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

This is what Black Friday in Finland looks like. Spoiler: It's 1000x worse than you guys have it in America.

Oh my goodness. I promise this is not an insult but looking at all those people proceeding in an organized line that's walking calmly into the store makes me think to myself "Finland must be the most orderly and civilized country in the world."

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
LOL, yeah think we got you guys beat when it comes to crazy...

This particular clip is slightly unfair I feel. The store's demographic and the scream that lets out when they open up indicates to me there's a lot of teenagers/adolescents in the crowd, and they sort of maybe don't know better? Grown ass-adults absolutely do it, but not this clip.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Being sick is no fun. All I've eaten in the last 24 hours is a few bits of bread. Should probably try to get something down my throat. I'll definitely try to wake up for the game though.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Typically I don't do the horror genre of movie but I re-watched Saw for the first time in many years and it's such a work of art. From start to finish it's such a masterful film. Look at the franchise and just ask "What the hell happened?" It could have and should have been one of the greatest movie installments of all time and then became nothing more than a self conscious gore fest that did everything it could to say "betcha didn't see that coming!!"

I honestly do not understand how the writers expected the franchise to survive upon the premise of victims being killed on purpose or said victims being expected to think rationally when it is impossible to do so in fight-or-flight situations and constantly changing protagonists.

The glory of the first film is that Lawrence and Adam have no less than 6 hours (Saw world time) to figure out how to get out of the bathroom, figure out their connection to each other and figure out what the real reason is for them being there. It's a far cry from the 15 minutes (Saw world time) of social Darwinism displayed in the trap where 5 people were put together and they just systematically kill each passing test. Then it's "HA! SHOULD'VE WORKED TOGETHER!!" What the f*** do you think was gonna happen? And the never ending cat-and-mouse game between the police and Jigsaw/His accomplices. Holy God

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I gotta say the 2nd film was brilliant too. It could've stayed the same more or less but the series went to hell by the 3rd film. Saw III should have been used to capitalize on the height of the franchise by beginning to wrap up the story so it could be over the the time the 4th film hit because fan interest was only going to last for so long. Introduce a protagonist, DON'T have said protagonist killed, allow the protagonist to slowly piece the story of John Kramer together, keep the settings and the traps simple like Adam and Lawrence in the bathroom and end the franchise sending a clear message that the true monsters of the story all along were the people in the tests and the inevitable death of John Kramer could be met with compassion.

I know they tried like hell to make John Kramer seem like less of a monster but the whole thing was such a mess that it's lost in translation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad