OT 19/3: Closed for Renovations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Typically I don't do the horror genre of movie but I re-watched Saw for the first time in many years and it's such a work of art. From start to finish it's such a masterful film. Look at the franchise and just ask "What the hell happened?" It could have and should have been one of the greatest movie installments of all time and then became nothing more than a self conscious gore fest that did everything it could to say "betcha didn't see that coming!!"

I honestly do not understand how the writers expected the franchise to survive upon the premise of victims being killed on purpose or said victims being expected to think rationally when it is impossible to do so in fight-or-flight situations and constantly changing protagonists.

The glory of the first film is that Lawrence and Adam have no less than 6 hours (Saw world time) to figure out how to get out of the bathroom, figure out their connection to each other and figure out what the real reason is for them being there. It's a far cry from the 15 minutes (Saw world time) of social Darwinism displayed in the trap where 5 people were put together and they just systematically kill each passing test. Then it's "HA! SHOULD'VE WORKED TOGETHER!!" What the **** do you think was gonna happen? And the never ending cat-and-mouse game between the police and Jigsaw/His accomplices. Holy God
latest

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Yeah I guess so right? Like I said, coulda, shoulda and woulda about its potential. Pound for pound Saw and Saw II are amongst the best horror movies I have ever seen. Like I said, the 3rd film should've been the turning point in the franchise and they should have used it to start wrapping the plot into 4 films. I can understand the need for 5 films tops if the writing was going to suffer from having to tell the story too quickly. You don't want to make it hurried so I can vouch for doing that and the trick to keeping interest is to leave film 4 with a cliff-hanger like "is the primary protagonist going to die?" However, introducing Hoffman as another antagonist (as if we needed another) was completely unnecessary.

There never... EVER needed to be 7 movies. It just gradually got worse with each passing film.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
After reading the trade boards, it still puzzles me how Valtteri Filppula's name can be so hard to type to some people. I think he's most commonly known as Valterri Filpulla here. I'm pretty sure less than 50% of this board typed his name right as well when he was with us. Well, what do I know as a Finn, maybe it is a hard name.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
It was easy once I remembered the double letters were in the middle of his first and last name.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
After reading the trade boards, it still puzzles me how Valtteri Filppula's name can be so hard to type to some people. I think he's most commonly known as Valterri Filpulla here. I'm pretty sure less than 50% of this board typed his name right as well when he was with us. Well, what do I know as a Finn, maybe it is a hard name.
Well from an English (or even German) speaking point of view, the double letters don't really make sense in the way we'd unterstand written language. Double consonants normally indicate that you have to put more emphasis on said letters or part of the word. But we don't or can't actually do it in "Valtteri" or "Filppula". But how do you emphasize the "tt" after "Val"? "pp" after "Fil"? We pronounce it the same way as if it were "Valteri" or "Filpula". Meanwhile "Valterri" or "Filpulla" makes sense to our ears and brains because we actually know how we would pronounce these (mistyped) names. Since people know there are some double consonants in his name they put them where they'd expect them.

Do Finns actually pronounce "Valtteri" and "Filppula" differently than "Valteri" and "Filpula"?

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Well from an English (or even German) speaking point of view, the double letters don't really make sense in the way we'd unterstand written language. Double consonants normally indicate that you have to put more emphasis on said letters or part of the word. But we don't or can't actually do it in "Valtteri" or "Filppula". But how do you emphasize the "tt" after "Val"? "pp" after "Fil"? We pronounce it the same way as if it were "Valteri" or "Filpula". Meanwhile "Valterri" or "Filpulla" makes sense to our ears and brains because we actually know how we would pronounce these (mistyped) names. Since people know there are some double consonants in his name they put them where they'd expect them.

Do Finns actually pronounce "Valtteri" and "Filppula" differently than "Valteri" and "Filpula"?

Yeah, we say it with two ts and two ps. We have many names like that, for example Petteri or Janne. My surname is a nightmare to try to pronounce abroad since it's long and has two ä letters which English doesn't have. I just usually give up after a while and type it out for them or I'll show my passport :laugh:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I call him Flip - I still don't know how to spell his name.

Reactions: JoVel

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
That makes sense. Never thought of it.

Yeah, with the two t's in Valtteri it's kind of like having a little pause between Val and teri. You can check his Eliteprospect page for the correct pronunciation.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is a good show (it's on Amazon Prime), but I'm through two episodes and I don't see how it fits into the MCU. I guess Peggy Carter shows up at some point, but nudity and the f-word don't seem very Marvel. Although The Punisher did get very bloody towards the end.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Fell while trying to put on boots this morning and now my knee and foot are hurt :( This is why I hate living in a cold place. I've never injured myself while putting on flipflops

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Fell while trying to put on boots this morning and now my knee and foot are hurt :( This is why I hate living in a cold place. I've never injured myself while putting on flipflops
Flip flops exposes your toes to getting stubbed though.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I forgot to put my time in all month...

Now I'm digging through old emails trying to figure out what I did on particular days. Don't be me kids - do your time.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
You can get RTS World in Conflict for free this week on Uplay PC and next week will be Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (the pirate one) for free.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
A girl wearing flip flops tripped in front of me going up the stairs today.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
That's one or two too many hashtags for my liking.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
So I found a few Espo interviews on youtube and all I have to say is wow..... WOW!!! Man I thought I swore a lot when I talked - I even do it on message boards. But this guy.... he could even teach me a few words. I swear if I sat down for a drink with this guy and talked hockey with him the whole bar would clear out. On a side note, I knew he could be a loud, cantankerous and in your face personality (by no surprise his former coach and contemporary in Don Cherry is the same way) but I can only imagine what it was like dealing with him as a GM.

I imagine a typical exchange in the office went something like "Hey Phil, they called back and said they'd do the trade" "Well why'da f*** are they calling saying they wanna do it? I called YOU for God's sakes! f***in tell me when their guy's on the plane and go ahead and sign off on the draft pick I offered ya. Why'da hafta call back just to say yes? JEEZ!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad