The Case For Buying Out Andrei Sekera

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd consider offering him to Buffalo or Carolina at $2 mill retained rather than a buy-out. In all honesty I'd just wait a year.

We're clearing cap for what? So Chia can sign another old UFA for 4-5 years?

Stay away from UFAs, especially this management group please.

I'd shop him but there's probably no takers unless you sweeten with giving away a draft pick + retaining salary. I'd probably just let it be for another year and revisit next summer.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
There's a case for getting rid of every defenseman on the team at this point. Problem is they'd never get replaced.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Less than a month later, anyone changing their opinion on this?
Nope, buying out good players is stupid. The guy is coming off an ACL tear, they take a long time to get back to 100%. I read an article we’re Rej says he has to were a knee brace because his knee isn’t strong enough and that it’s really restricting his movement.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Sekera is garbage.
-Can’t aim for shit unless he’s legit trying to hit a player
-made of glass
-can be easily overpowered by any player by just a push

Don’t care how he is gone but he needs to go. Don’t like Klef but I think Sekera one ups that now.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I'd rather just "diagnose him with a career ending skin condition" and keep him on LTIR for the remainder of his contract.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nope, buying out good players is stupid. The guy is coming off an ACL tear, they take a long time to get back to 100%. I read an article we’re Rej says he has to were a knee brace because his knee isn’t strong enough and that it’s really restricting his movement.

So let's say that next season is another throw away season for him, do we keep his $5.5 million cap hit in the hopes that he has a decent to good final year of his deal?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Buying him out in summer 2019 makes more sense than this summer.

It would be a cap penalty of $1.5 mill for 4 years.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Can we buy out Russell too?

Cheaper AAV so he should be easier to move IMO when his NMC ends.

Sekera is garbage.
-Can’t aim for **** unless he’s legit trying to hit a player
-made of glass
-can be easily overpowered by any player by just a push

Don’t care how he is gone but he needs to go. Don’t like Klef but I think Sekera one ups that now.

I hope that he waves his NMC and we can move him and eat a bit of his AAV if we have to. If not I'd still consider buying him out if we are able to drastically improve our defense.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Cheaper AAV so he should be easier to move IMO when his NMC ends.

I hope that he waves his NMC and we can move him and eat a bit of his AAV if we have to. If not I'd still consider buying him out if we are able to drastically improve our defense.

He is THAT bad now. He’s worse than Benning. And he’s expensive to boot

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Not only does Chia give players overpay on every contract he gives them NMC to screw the team even more I just wish They Gave Hall a NMC would of saved a lot of grief

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not only does Chia give players overpay on every contract he gives them NMC to screw the team even more I just wish They Gave Hall a NMC would of saved a lot of grief

The Sekera and Lucic NMC's I get since they were highly sought after FA's. The Russell one straight up blows. We should've gotten him cheaper considering the term and NMC.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Some of the Sekera hate is crazy. He’s coming off a major injury, we all knew he wasn’t going to be nearly as good as he was last season. However, I have enough faith in Sekera to bounce back and be a top 4 dmen for us. Let him get healthy and have an offseason to train. Russell and Lucic I have 0 faith in. They are both trash and take up 10 million combined cap like that’s f***ing awful.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
So let's say that next season is another throw away season for him, do we keep his $5.5 million cap hit in the hopes that he has a decent to good final year of his deal?
He's been a good pro for a while and the injury he suffered was severe enough that I don't really hold his poor play this year against him or as a true reflection of what he is capable of, I'd give him the opportunity to bounce back. Also if Sekera can't bounce back next season and it is as painfully clear that he is well behind the curve, he might be willing to get put out to pasture like Ference just being a permanent fixture on LTIR, saving us some of the pain of a buy-out. Another thing to look at his how long the dead cap space stretches on, like I disagreed with Chia on the Pouliot buy-out not cause I didn't think he was a worthy buy-out candidate, just cause I thought it would of been smarter to wait one more year to do so and would of changed it from 4 years of dead cap space to 2 years of dead cap space (plus even if he is overpaid we could of used his help on the PK this year).

Reactions: yukoner88

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I'd consider offering him to Buffalo or Carolina at $2 mill retained rather than a buy-out. In all honesty I'd just wait a year.

We're clearing cap for what? So Chia can sign another old UFA for 4-5 years?

*Stay away from UFAs,* especially this management group please.

I'd shop him but there's probably no takers unless you sweeten with giving away a draft pick + retaining salary. I'd probably just let it be for another year and revisit next summer.

^problem is that if Chia stays away from trades and UFA's, how does he try to make this team better next year? more kids? even that isn't working well for us! o_O

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Buying him out in summer 2019 makes more sense than this summer.

It would be a cap penalty of $1.5 mill for 4 years.

Actually it $2.5m for the first 2 years and then $1.5M for the next two.

A buyout right now is not necessary. You do this when you have a replacement in place or if you need the cap space because of some other trade or signing. At this point the Oilers likely have enough cap space to manage there current roster with some significant upgrades provided that Chia is prudent with his signings.

Assuming that the cap is at $80.5M I could see a 22 man roster made up of their current assets coming in with about $6.5M left over. This would mean that you could turn Matt Benning into a $7.5M defenseman and still have some change left over.

With some creativity they could probably do something like resigning Maroon and adding a guy like Green with their current cap space. So you only buyout Sekera if
you want to go bigger than this without subtracting much cap and even then only if you can't trade him even with a small retention.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I never understood this signing. He was so highly touted by hf fans here when it was announced.

Myself I thought he was not strong enough to be immensely effective in the tougher WC.

Also people were trumping up his offensive verve and what he could do with the puck. The same hilite was shown multiple times wehre Sekera once in his career has the puck for 20 secs and it results in a goal.. People were talking him up like he could be another "just what we need'' defender. He was a PMD, would help on the PP, was way smart defensively...

Another brutal contract that I always wondered about. This guy looks old and slow and not interested in the physicality of the WC.

3 more years of this crap? my lord, Benning might be better.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I never understood this signing. He was so highly touted by hf fans here when it was announced.

Myself I thought he was not strong enough to be immensely effective in the tougher WC.

Also people were trumping up his offensive verve and what he could do with the puck. The same hilite was shown multiple times wehre Sekera once in his career has the puck for 20 secs and it results in a goal.. People were talking him up like he could be another "just what we need'' defender. He was a PMD, would help on the PP, was way smart defensively...

Another brutal contract that I always wondered about. This guy looks old and slow and not interested in the physicality of the WC.

3 more years of this crap? my lord, Benning might be better.

I think he was highly touted in hindsight because we were so desperate for anything better than the “Oiler average”.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Some of the Sekera hate is crazy. He’s coming off a major injury, we all knew he wasn’t going to be nearly as good as he was last season. However, I have enough faith in Sekera to bounce back and be a top 4 dmen for us. Let him get healthy and have an offseason to train. Russell and Lucic I have 0 faith in. They are both trash and take up 10 million combined cap like that’s ****ing awful.

I've never been a fan. I really don't understand what his game is. I like defenders to be strong and capable of moving traffic, steering guys away from the net and winning pucks. Sekera just has been none of these things. What he is seems to be a D that has occasional hands that entice people to believe he's something better than he is. What does he actually do well? I don't have a bead on this player. I don't understand his game.

This taken from his bio;

Bio

Andrej Sekera Bio

As NHL defensemen go, Sekera is not easy to define.
He plays an all-around game and is too skilled to be labeled either a stay-at-home defenseman, a puck-mover or a shutdown presence.
A left-handed shot, the 6-foot, 198-pound Sekera can play on the right or left side. He's not overly physical or flashy, just effective

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad