The Case For Buying Out Andrei Sekera

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I believe the NMC for Sekera and Russell are modified and the contracts can be moved by then. Lucic is 2021 I think. Either way I am guessing that 2 of those 3 if not all 3 are gone by the expansion draft.
Sekera's NMC will be gone, so that's not an issue. Russell's is a problem, and we'll probably have to buy him out. That sucks a lot and is a big screw up by Chiarelli unless he pulls a rabbit out of his hat on that. (ps I checked the buyout number on Russell for 2020, and it was a year one hit of 3.0 AAV, and a year 2 of 0.5 AAV, so it's not exactly horrible.)

at any rate, I don't want to see every post in the thread, but this is the buyout penalty on Sekera if we buy him out this summer:

year 1: 1.6 AAV (vs 5.5 if we keep him)
year 2: 2.6 AAV (vs 5.5 if we keep him)
year 3: 2.6 AAV (vs 5.5 if we keep him)
year 4: 1.6 AAV
year 5 : 1.6 AAV
year 6: 1.6 AAV

So is all this long term dead cap space worth some paranoia that Sekera will never be good again? No.

Reactions: Night Witch

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sekera's NMC will be gone, so that's not an issue. Russell's is a problem, and we'll probably have to buy him out. That sucks a lot and is a big screw up by Chiarelli unless he pulls a rabbit out of his hat on that. (ps I checked the buyout number on Russell for 2020, and it was a year one hit of 3.0 AAV, and a year 2 of 0.5 AAV, so it's not exactly horrible.)

at any rate, I don't want to see every post in the thread, but this is the buyout penalty on Sekera if we buy him out this summer:

year 1: 1.6 AAV (vs 5.5 if we keep him)
year 2: 2.6 AAV (vs 5.5 if we keep him)
year 3: 2.6 AAV (vs 5.5 if we keep him)
year 4: 1.6 AAV
year 5 : 1.6 AAV
year 6: 1.6 AAV

So is all this long term dead cap space worth some paranoia that Sekera will never be good again? No.

If we can't move him but we can add a better player with the cap then I would do it. My first preference would be to trade him even if we have to retain some cap. The cap savings over the next 3 years are not insignificant.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
If his knee is thair all eason and free up another 5.4 cap spacet screwed again next season , might be a blessing , he can be put on LTIR all season and it free's up another 5.5 million cap space

The best case scenario for the Oilers (obviously not Sekera) is that this is an injury that ends his career. Sekera was a shell of his former self this year, and with his age, he likely never comes close to being the player he was prior to his injury. If he was forced to retire, it would be great for the Oilers. This isn't going to happen though, and I suspect he'll miss a good chunk of the season next year again, and then play poorly on his return (very similar to this year).

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Bettman has said it will be the same

Link or it didn't happen.

Cannot believe the other teams will agree to that so easily. The NHL set overly generous expansion rules to ensure that Vegas was competitive. Just maybe the Knights finishing top five, if not to top three, in the league has something to do with the expansion draft rules?

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Even if the rules are the same, something tells me Seattle won't have an easy ride. Teams aren't going to just give away talent like last time. Right Florida? RIGHT?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Sekera has hurt that knee again, this D corps is likely in a lot of trouble next year.

They're not able to weather any kind of injury at all.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
I thought that Bettman said the rules will change to make them less favourable to the expansion team.

I don't recall seeing that anywhere.

Link or it didn't happen.

Cannot believe the other teams will agree to that so easily. The NHL set overly generous expansion rules to ensure that Vegas was competitive. Just maybe the Knights finishing top five, if not to top three, in the league has something to do with the expansion draft rules?

Bettman: Potential Seattle expansion draft would feature same rules as Vegas
Bettman: VGK expansion draft rules would apply to Seattle - Article - TSN
Gary Bettman: NHL expansion draft for Seattle team would follow Vegas blueprint

3 good? Google "bettman seattle expansion draft" and there's page after page

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Even if the rules are the same, something tells me Seattle won't have an easy ride. Teams aren't going to just give away talent like last time. Right Florida? RIGHT?

I agree that the other gms probably learnt a lesson from the Vegas draft however, even without some of the stupid moves, it is a very favourable setup for expansion.

Edit: one thing to add is I think we'll see less NMC being given between now and then.

Last edited:

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
That's why you shoulda done it with your first post. :D

Thanks.

Honestly didn't think I needed to, it was big news about a month ago so I thought everyone except the op knew about it. Also, it was just an FYI kinda post that was easy to fact check, not some obscure quote.

Anyhow, game time. Cheers!

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Honestly didn't think I needed to, it was big news about a month ago so I thought everyone except the op knew about it. Also, it was just an FYI kinda post that was easy to fact check, not some obscure quote.

Anyhow, game time. Cheers!

No worries. I am just blinded by the greed of the owners some times. $20M per team is a ton of money, but I can't believe there was no pushback from the teams on this. Obviously very generous expansion rules played a role in the Knights success this season. Although if the Oilers had been able to protect one more player it probably would have been Reinhart so meh.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
No worries. I am just blinded by the greed of the owners some times. $20M per team is a ton of money, but I can't believe there was no pushback from the teams on this. Obviously very generous expansion rules played a role in the Knights success this season. Although if the Oilers had been able to protect one more player it probably would have been Reinhart so meh.

I'm very suprised the expansion rules went as they are. On the one hand it's good that they didn't have old school suck for 5-10 years expansion rules. But setting it up so that the expansion team is better than a lot of current teams? Craziness.. and ppl were calling it way back when they announced the rules.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'm very suprised the expansion rules went as they are. On the one hand it's good that they didn't have old school suck for 5-10 years expansion rules. But setting it up so that the expansion team is better than a lot of current teams? Craziness.. and ppl were calling it way back when they announced the rules.

That's what $500M and now $650M buys an expansion team. Bettman has been consistent that if the owners want to pocket expansion cash they need to pay in terms of giving up decent players from their roster. The last thing the NHL wants is another Arizona situation.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

Messier11

May 9, 2016
Not really sure why everyone here is getting so excited about Suckera's injury. We have been down this path last year and Chiapet took care of business last year. I mean, we can all take comfort that we will be entering the 378th period of observation during his tenure. Nothing to worry about here. Nope, not at all. May as well all move along and close this thread.

Why do I already feel a sense of doom just as I managed to deal with the doomsday nature of the present season?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Not really sure why everyone here is getting so excited about Suckera's injury. We have been down this path last year and Chiapet took care of business last year. I mean, we can all take comfort that we will be entering the 378th period of observation during his tenure. Nothing to worry about here. Nope, not at all. May as well all move along and close this thread.

Why do I already feel a sense of doom just as I managed to deal with the doomsday nature of the present season?

What are you trying to say with that? Clearly the entire post is negative. Just don't understand the point/sarcasm/joke with the part in bold.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Sekera had 30 plus points in his first 2 years as Oiler and was terrific last year before his injury. Actually if you subtract his time with Darnell Nurse in his first year Sekera was very good in his first 2 years and then trash this year and understandably so after his knee injury.

It's honestly a joke that people are trying to twist the narrative on Sekera and push the idea that he's a bad player or he's worthy of a buyout.

He has one more year with a non move clause. If injury makes him completely ineffective then maybe you look to move him next off season but to try to paint a guy who was consistently good for 2 whole seasons before his injury is nothing but a joke and sadly not the least bit unexpected from a fan base that loves trashing good players who have down seasons.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

There was pushback, the GMs at the Florida meeting were reported to have wanted changes and IIRC that’s when the statement came out that the expansion rules won’t change. For $650M I’d want a good team to start as well.

That said teams have 2 years to prep and I’d think there be buyouts and trades galore starting this summer so generous side deals like the ones Minnesota, Florida and Columbus made with Vegas won’t be as prevalent. Also expect a huge reduction in NMCs which already started. Finally the future GM of the Seattle Whatever’s probably won’t be able to freeze the market like McPhee did leading up to the expansion draft.

Either way Sekera has to rehab and be ready for puck drop next year. My guess if he has a bad year and it seems like the injury will cost him speed he will either be bought out or be sent to LTIR island like the Leafs did with Lupul and the Hawks with Hossa.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Either way Sekera has to rehab and be ready for puck drop next year. My guess if he has a bad year and it seems like the injury will cost him speed he will either be bought out or be sent to LTIR island like the Leafs did with Lupul and the Hawks with Hossa.

I hope Katz is willing to send Lucic to that same island. But it's only worth it if Chia can figure out how to spend to the cap.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I hope Katz is willing to send Lucic to that same island. But it's only worth it if Chia can figure out how to spend to the cap.

I don’t think spending to the cap will be much of a problem going forward LOL.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I don't think it was the rules as much as how good the Knights were at this. They found a lot of gold right under teams noses. Sure helps that they got Marchessault but all the additions are thoughtful and serve a purpose. Even the quieter additions like Perron make perfect sense. Its like they understood a collection of individuals with something to prove would band together and do that. But the good decisions go all the way to players like Brayden McNabb. A tough gem that the Kings didn't want to lose. I wish the Oil would have made a deal for him.

Hey, the one that got away was Dustin Brown. Could you imagine how good the Knights would be if they picked him? They would also look even more like Nostradamus. Just a good solid org. I doubt Seattle would do as well even with the same rules. You could do this 10 times and nobody would do it better than the Knights have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad