Confirmed with Link: The Calgary Flames Name Ryan Huska the Franchise's 24th Head Coach

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Latest on Flames coaching candidates

The Flames this week have begun interviewing coaching candidates and reached out to free-agent coach Gerard Gallant to feel him out on the idea of coaching in Calgary. The answer from Gallant, according to league sources, was yes. So the veteran coach will be part of the Flames’ interview process at some point.

Other names to consider, as mentioned last week in my Craig Conroy column, include internal options Ryan Huska and Mitch Love. I should have also mentioned veteran Kirk Muller, another internal candidate. Another intriguing one, pushed forward by TSN colleague Darren Dreger during our Insider Trading segment Tuesday, was that of Marc Savard, head coach of the OHL’s Windsor Spitfires, although his lack of experience probably would work against him at this stage.

It goes without saying there are other candidates, as well.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
How do you sort out Huska, Muller and Love if all stay? Based on current status it would be promotions as follows - Muller (HC), Huska (associate), Love (assistant). So if Muller gets skipped he will be not happy. If Love goes associate and Huska stays assistant another unhappy camper. If Love skips over x 2 then two unhappy campers. Not sure all three can co-exist on same staff.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
How do you sort out Huska, Muller and Love if all stay? Based on current status it would be promotions as follows - Muller (HC), Huska (associate), Love (assistant). So if Muller gets skipped he will be not happy. If Love goes associate and Huska stays assistant another unhappy camper. If Love skips over x 2 then two unhappy campers. Not sure all three can co-exist on same staff.

I hope they let the head coach pick his assistants.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I feel you could have Love do 1 more season in the AHL with the promise hes getting promoted to assistant the following season. Hes only had 2 years at pro, it cant be argued against that he lacks experience. Muller and Huska are different issues. I dont think you can keep both unless Muller is head coach. And while I dont hate the idea, hes not my top pick.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Murray Edwards being cheap?
F6Eo5Gt.jpg

Works out for the best this time if they just believe in the power of Love

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I feel you could have Love do 1 more season in the AHL with the promise hes getting promoted to assistant the following season. Hes only had 2 years at pro, it cant be argued against that he lacks experience. Muller and Huska are different issues. I dont think you can keep both unless Muller is head coach. And while I dont hate the idea, hes not my top pick.
I could see Love as HC, Huska as associate and the Flames and Muller "mutually" agree to part ways

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
tfw Murray Edwards being cheap is actually helpful

I'm not sure I even want them to hire a good coach. they need to tank so hard the entire management staff gets punted.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Not surprising at all. The Flames owe Sutter $8m over the next 2 years and then on top of that having to pay what Gallant would ask for... lets face it, when it comes to coaches Murray Edwards is cheap.

Treliving said in an interview once that there are no such restrictions for hiring coaches though. I always thought he was lying to defend ownership on that one.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Treliving said in an interview once that there are no such restrictions for hiring coaches though. I always thought he was lying to defend ownership on that one.
It's all speculation. It was said Edwards would never pay anyone more than $7 million. What happened? I don't have any special love for the Flames ownership, I think Edwards is probably a cock, but people just talk out of their asses on this.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Definitely a lie. Only one who he spent on was Sutter because of their relationship. Now he's paying him to not coach.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It's all speculation. It was said Edwards would never pay anyone more than $7 million. What happened? I don't have any special love for the Flames ownership, I think Edwards is probably a cock, but people just talk out of their asses on this.

But there's significant smoke. IIRC, Treliving mentioned he needed to get approval for the salary they paid Peters because it was slightly over his budget. He hired all sorts of head coaches that were reportedly paid less than $1mil per season (GG, Ward). We supposedly didn't even interview quite a few coaching options that were asking over $3 mil even though they were available at the time we were looking. (ie: Boudreau, Gallant, AV etc.) as they often said they were interviewed only by a select group of teams and the Flames weren't included in those named as interviewers.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

I don't know how people don't get it with Murray already. He lets the GM spend to the cap because that is public information so he doesn't come off as cheap while expecting the playoffs every year and because of the ability to generate revenue during the playoffs.

Coaching budgets are cheap because the salaries could be kept in house but once that became public and a growing narrative, he spent money on the one coach he knew well that got the team to the finals before.

He was willing to let Treliving walk and keep Sutter until it became public that a lot of players wanted out so he fired him after due to media pressure and to keep playoff hopes alive.

He paid Huberdeau because the media began to paint Calgary as a place no star player was wanted to stay after Johnny and Matthew.

He has plenty of money to spend but will only spend it to not come off a certain way, make it back in the playoffs and if the media paints him or the team in a certain light because of it.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The more I read about Alex Tanguay and Marc Savard as coaches the more intrigued I become. I think Mitch Love has the inside track though but Tanguay's personal relationship with Connie certainly is a strong point in his favour. I think the weakest out of the three is Savard as he only has Jr hockey coaching experience but honestly I'll be happy if any one of those three gets the job.
I'll be disappointed if the Flames hire Muller or Huska for the HC job. Under Sutter Muller oversaw the forwards and ran the PP while Huska was in charge of the defense and the PK.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
What about Patrick Roy as a head coach? He might be enticed by one of the top goalie prospects in the game coming. It’s like having a head coach/goalie coach all In one.

Also he’s chilled a lot since his first stint with Colorado 🤣

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Not surprising at all. The Flames owe Sutter $8m over the next 2 years and then on top of that having to pay what Gallant would ask for... lets face it, when it comes to coaches Murray Edwards is cheap.
Friedman's 32 thoughts this week suggest that Sutter was terminated before the extension took effect. If this is so, then I doubt if the Flames are on the hook for the next two years.

The more I read about Alex Tanguay and Marc Savard as coaches the more intrigued I become. I think Mitch Love has the inside track though but Tanguay's personal relationship with Connie certainly is a strong point in his favour. I think the weakest out of the three is Savard as he only has Jr hockey coaching experience but honestly I'll be happy if any one of those three gets the job.
I'll be disappointed if the Flames hire Muller or Huska for the HC job. Under Sutter Muller oversaw the forwards and ran the PP while Huska was in charge of the defense and the PK.
And what did Cail MacLean do then? He might also be an internal option although his name is never mentioned.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Friedman's 32 thoughts this week suggest that Sutter was terminated before the extension took effect. If this is so, then I doubt if the Flames are on the hook for the next two years.

And what did Cail MacLean do then? He might also be an internal option although his name is never mentioned.
That's the first I've heard about the Flames not having to pay Sutter the $8m. I'm skeptical.
With regards to MacLean....

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Doesnt matter if the extension hadnt kicked in. It was a signed contract, Flames have to honor the terms of it. Unless Sutter signs as a coach elsewhere, which is highly doubtful, Flames will be paying out the financial terms of the deal.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The dudes in this thread hoping for rebuilds still are heartwarming. Probably waiting around for the Easter Bunny and Santa.

Reactions: Mitts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad