Confirmed with Link: The Calgary Flames Name Ryan Huska the Franchise's 24th Head Coach

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

4:10 | May 30, 2023

Frank Seravalli joins Danielle Michaud to discuss the latest news on the GM search for the Maple Leafs, where the Flames are looking for their head coach position, and the updates on the Senators sale.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I don't even know what Gallant's style is. he only lasts three seasons or less as head coach wherever he goes.

Reactions: Boomstick

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I don't even know what Gallant's style is. he only lasts three seasons or less as head coach wherever he goes.
I am not sure his style matters that much. He is another coach that has a 3 season shelf life who deals better with vets than young players...
sound like a perfect match for the Flames.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Would love to see Love promoted to associate/assistant coach with a veteran coach fulfilling head coaching duties and mentoring for 2 years. As stated, Gallant will want to get PAID to coach again soon and isn’t going to sign short term, cheap or as an assistant. My pipe dream is Bruce Boudreau wants some redemption from his Vancouver era, but isn’t looking to coach forever.

Would like to bring in other fresh blood with an offensive/power play bent, like Tanguay or Carberry, but what would their incentive be to switch clubs but stay in an assistant’s role?

Would also like a retired defenceman turned coach to work with our backend such as a Todd Reirden/Sylvain Lefebvre stressing fundamentals that seemed to get lost at times last year.

Jordan Sigalet also needs to be punted into the sun.

Reirden and Hunter were coaches I was poking around at earlier. Maybe we should bring in all the Hunters for a new era after Sutter! :sarcasm:

Sigalet is basically a scout now. The goalie coach is Labarbera. I've been beating the drum for a long time now... but I'd be so excited if we could poach someone like Ian Clark from Vancouver.

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
I am not sure his style matters that much. He is another coach that has a 3 season shelf life who deals better with vets than young players...
sound like a perfect match for the Flames.
So another Sutter just with a different name...just peachy.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
except his shelf life seems specific with team management, the GM gets pissed and fires him before the players have a chance to get pissed and stop playing for him.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I recall back in the day saying I like Gallant and we hired the wrong GG and being told he was basically an improved Hartley.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I’d assume Huberdeau and Weegar would have good things to say about Gallant given he’s in the conversation at this point, so I’d be fine with him. Still want Love though

Kinda sucks Brunette is gone, wonder how in depth the Flames looked at him.

Good point on Gallant. Not sure he matches what Conroy wants with youth though. Makes me wonder how he was bringing in prospects with the Jackets. Right now Im leaning Huska with Love being brought in as an assistant or left in the AHL for one more year with the stipulation he will be moved to the NHL next year.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I've always been a fan of Gallant... both as a player and a coach. He would be my #1 choice. Love would be my 2nd although with Love I would be a bit nervous. Sure he has a great record with the Heat/Wranglers but how much did he benefit from having the best goalie in the league playing most of the games? Wolf would have made any coach look great these past two years.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Just give it to Love, clear out the support staff, and ride out the rebuild

But uhh... excuse me. I think it's a retool, not a rebuild. Bean says, not allowed to say rebuild.

I've always been a fan of Gallant... both as a player and a coach. He would be my #1 choice. Love would be my 2nd although with Love I would be a bit nervous. Sure he has a great record with the Heat/Wranglers but how much did he benefit from having the best goalie in the league playing most of the games? Wolf would have made any coach look great these past two years.

Promote Wolf. Situation sorted, same goalie. What's the problem after that?

NHL level:
.958 SV%;
1.00 GAA

;)

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I have some similar concerns with Love. The Wranglers D was pretty lackluster, compared to the talent on paper, I wonder how much it was masked by Wolf. Although I think Love would give plenty of opportunity to the young forwards I do worry about the defensive structure of the team.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I have some similar concerns with Love. The Wranglers D was pretty lackluster, compared to the talent on paper, I wonder how much it was masked by Wolf. Although I think Love would give plenty of opportunity to the young forwards I do worry about the defensive structure of the team.

The D is upgraded once Wolf graduates though. However, I'm uncertain if we'd lose a bunch of that d corps soon after he becomes HC.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

I mean the Wranglers were 1st in team GA and 4th in team GF last season in the AHL. Wolf was definitely a huge part of the GA but don't see how you can attribute the GF to the goalie. It's not really like it was an offense feeding off long time AHL vets either, like for instance Coachella Valley did. It was mostly the team's drafted prospects, from a pool most on HF and in hockey media(and even this team board) consider mediocre at best. Only Desimone is over 25 in the Wranglers top 8 scorers.

Even the GA, Wolf didn't start every game and even the best goalies can drown playing behind a porous defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad