Confirmed with Link: The Calgary Flames Name Ryan Huska the Franchise's 24th Head Coach

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Conroy was not a mediocre candidate.

I can see there would be a number of potential candidates for head coach.

Internally (in no specific order).

Muller. Not a fan of his PP, but he does have a strong resume. Also, he only has one year left on his contract.

Huska. Put in his time and should get a look.

Love. Good coach so far in his career and may just be the catalyst needed to bring the new group together in a fresh start. Yes there is a risk for a rookie, but success breeds more passion.

Externally (just throwing names out there)

Brunette
Gallant
Roy
Green
Boudreau
Tanguay

Thing is a new head coach will want to name his own crew and I doubt ownership has the appetite for more dead contracts. By appointing internally, the team can keep the existing guys for a year and then decide whether to change them up.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Just hire Love before he's yet another one time organizational asset that got away.

The Flames and their god damn coaching hires. Ok well this last guy gave us a lot of A but not a lot of B. Let's hire a guy that brings B and nothing but B.
1.5-2.5 seasons later...
Ok well this last guy gave us a ton of B but hardly any A. Let's hire a guy that gives us A and nothing but A. Repeat ad nauseum

Seriously look at Tre's whole tenure. I barely remember the long line of coaches before that but I'm sure it was more of the same.

Hartley was too hard of a coach, players sad. Fires him brings in Glenn aww shucks Gulutzan. GG too soft, beers on the bus, temper tantrums yeeting a stick into the 10th row because nobody respects him. Players not being 'properly motivated'.
Fires him hires Bill Peters. Too hard again, and throw in racist for good measure, players sad.
Enter Geoff Ward, possibly the most inoffensive man in the sport. Oh no, players phoning it in and unmotivated. Wonder why when they're being coached by a human dishtowel.
Bring in task master Darryl to get class back in session. Works well for a time, but oh no again the players get sad. Too hard. Not fun.

Goldilocks would have an easier time finding a HC than the Calgary Flames.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm almost wondering that if it's a guy like Love, he won't be allowed to select his assistant coaches and the org will insulate him with guys who have experience. An experienced guy might be forced to take Love as an AC to mentor him. There seemed to be glimpses of this with Conroy/Nonis.

If this is ownership mandate again... tbh it isn't a bad concept.

Mitch Love HC with Gallant (if he agrees) AC would be a hell of an interesting concept tbh. Gallant HC with Love as AC but given a lot more power than a typical AC to control the facets he's interested in would also be quite interesting.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I'm almost wondering that if it's a guy like Love, he won't be allowed to select his assistant coaches and the org will insulate him with guys who have experience. An experienced guy might be forced to take Love as an AC to mentor him. There seemed to be glimpses of this with Conroy/Nonis.

If this is ownership mandate again... tbh it isn't a bad concept.

Mitch Love HC with Gallant (if he agrees) AC would be a hell of an interesting concept tbh. Gallant HC with Love as AC but given a lot more power than a typical AC to control the facets he's interested in would also be quite interesting.
Zero chance Gallant takes being an assistant. Hes too well respected around the league. Youd also have to pay him a ton of money. Hes making 3.5mil a year to sit and do nothing right now.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Zero chance Gallant takes being an assistant. Hes too well respected around the league. Youd also have to pay him a ton of money. Hes making 3.5mil a year to sit and do nothing right now.

Sorry, I put Gallant as the experienced guy, but it basically could be anyone like Boudreau etc. as well. Someone who might be OK with basically sharing the HC role (newish concept) because they have a few other things on the side they want to do as well?

Not our org but maybe someone like a Trotz who wants to be coach/GM or maybe someone who is cool with being like a coach/scout/AGM etc.?

Would Boudreau go AC if he doesn’t get a HC gig? I want Love to get a shot, but he needs a mentor

Would be a cool concept. I'd be worried if it's Sutter, but Sutter has done coaching consulting before I think. That would be quite acceptable IMO. Like a coach eye in the sky to pass observations down to a newbie coach.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
8. Calgary must decide on Mitch Love. When you’ve won the AHL Coach of the Year Award two seasons in a row, an organization is pretty much put on the spot to indicate if it considers you NHL material or not. Same goes for Ryan Huska and Kirk Muller. (Muller, I believe has been interviewed in Columbus and one other team.)

Other names to consider here: Andrew Brunette’s history with Jonathan Huberdeau is intriguing; Gerard Gallant, Travis Green (who I could also see with Anaheim), Marc Savard (as mentioned by Jeff Marek) and Alex Tanguay. Conroy and Jarome Iginla —who eventually will join the organization — think very highly of Tanguay. The Flames want to modernize the way they attack.

9. I also think the Flames will, at least, reach out to Peter Laviolette to gauge his interest.

Love as head coach
Tanguay runs the PP

That just leaves a Huska replacement. They'll probably look for a veteran assistant, or previous head coach for that spot

Reactions: Rockmorton

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
After taking in the press conference yesterday I think we need to take the "reporting" that's been taking place regarding the Flames head coaching position lately with a grain of salt.

None of these pundits are claiming there are links between the Flames and any of these candidates, other than "they should consider ______ for reasons". Even if they do eventually end up hiring one of the names thrown about.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Under Joel Quennville, Sam Bennett averaged 20:55 in the playoffs
Under Andrew Brunette, Sam Bennett averaged 16:46 in the playoffs
Under Paul Maurice, Sam Bennett is averaging 21:13 in the playoffs

Brunette seems exactly like the Geoff Ward/Glen Gulutzan types that wasted years of a good prime here.

I'm not attached to Mitch Love ( I actually like Cail MacLean best out of our former AHL coaches) but I do insist we get someone who's got the eye for talent that a successful coach like Joel Quennville has.

If I were hiring a coach, I'd probably be looking at Spencer Carbery or Phil Housley

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Hire Brunette and make love assistant coach. Gets love some nhl experience and let's Brunette try and prove he has learnt from his time in Florida. It's a win win either Brunette is the guy or get Love some experience before he gets his chance

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Under Joel Quennville, Sam Bennett averaged 20:55 in the playoffs
Under Andrew Brunette, Sam Bennett averaged 16:46 in the playoffs
Under Paul Maurice, Sam Bennett is averaging 21:13 in the playoffs

Brunette seems exactly like the Geoff Ward/Glen Gulutzan types that wasted years of a good prime here.

I'm not attached to Mitch Love ( I actually like Cail MacLean best out of our former AHL coaches) but I do insist we get someone who's got the eye for talent that a successful coach like Joel Quennville has.

If I were hiring a coach, I'd probably be looking at Spencer Carbery or Phil Housley

Lol Bennett was in the top 6 with brunette unlike our coaches and we don't have a Bennett so it shouldn't matter

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
After taking in the press conference yesterday I think we need to take the "reporting" that's been taking place regarding the Flames head coaching position lately with a grain of salt.

None of these pundits are claiming there are links between the Flames and any of these candidates, other than "they should consider ______ for reasons". Even if they do eventually end up hiring one of the names thrown about.
Love, Huska and Kirk are for sure getting strong looks. I also think there is some smoke with Tanguay, purely based on Conroy, Tanguay and Iginlas history. Otherwise I think everything else is speculation at this point. Conroy will talk to the players first and then cast a wide net for coaching interviews, just to see whats out there. Id be shocked if we hear anything substantial rumour wise for at least a week.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Ray Ferraro and Darren Dreger mention Andrew Brunette (based on his relationship with Jonathan Huberdeau), Gerard Gallant, Travis Green, and Ryan Huska as potential head coach candidates for the Calgary Flames.

PUNCHING A Ticket to the Stanley Cup Finals w/ Florida Panthers' Sam Bennett

The Ray & Dregs Hockey Podcast

2 hours ago

The guys wrap headlines with news from around the NHL, including the Pittsburgh Penguins' interest in Kyle Dubas, if Brendan Shanahan is overstepping with his assurances to the ‘core-4’ in Toronto, and Craig Conroy’s first big decision as Flames GM.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Quenville would be the obvious choice but… baggage

This is correct.
Guy is an all-world level coach and would immediately alter how this team plays to maximize their efficiency.

There's a reason Sutter got the most out of guys like Zadorov and Toffoli while struggled with guys like Huberdeau. Sutter essentially was making a team with some good skill level play a sluggish, tight game. It's like having all the tools to woodwork and restore antique furniture, and then using it to build a shed.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Elliotte Friedman:

- really begin their process now and get serious

- the Calgary Flames have reached out to Peter Laviolette

- they will give a legitimate chance to Ryan Huska, Kirk Muller, and Mitch Love

- also are going to go external

- there are a lot of names on their list

- players that they want to talk extensions and future with will want to see who the coach is first

Friedman: Penguins Waiting For Kyle Dubas To Make A Decision

SPORTSNET

May 27, 2023 32 Thoughts

Elliotte Friedman joins Ron MacLean to give the latest front office intel around the NHL, including the Pittsburgh Penguins' interest in Kyle Dubas and a host of teams making decisions on head coach vacancies.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
New era team needs a fun boss
image.jpg

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
This is correct.
Guy is an all-world level coach and would immediately alter how this team plays to maximize their efficiency.

Quenneville is definitely one hell of a coach, baggage and all. I struggle with how to feel about all that because yes, there were many in that organization that could have dealt with it better (or preferably at all), but how much does it fall under Q or Toews' job purview to deal with a SA accusation from a minor league prospect. That seems like a job for a HR professional in a billion dollar corporation. There should have been a grown-up in the room outside of hockey.

I think if he were to make a return though he would be going to the Rangers or Leafs.

There's a reason Sutter got the most out of guys like Zadorov and Toffoli while struggled with guys like Huberdeau. Sutter essentially was making a team with some good skill level play a sluggish, tight game. It's like having all the tools to woodwork and restore antique furniture, and then using it to build a shed.

That's all Darryl knows how to do. Build a shed. When it comes together well and he has all the requisite pieces it is a beautiful thing. He builds a nice ass shed. A practical, pragmatic, repeatable, consistent hockey shed. But that shed absolutely has to have respectable goaltending.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Would love to see Love promoted to associate/assistant coach with a veteran coach fulfilling head coaching duties and mentoring for 2 years. As stated, Gallant will want to get PAID to coach again soon and isn’t going to sign short term, cheap or as an assistant. My pipe dream is Bruce Boudreau wants some redemption from his Vancouver era, but isn’t looking to coach forever.

Would like to bring in other fresh blood with an offensive/power play bent, like Tanguay or Carberry, but what would their incentive be to switch clubs but stay in an assistant’s role?

Would also like a retired defenceman turned coach to work with our backend such as a Todd Reirden/Sylvain Lefebvre stressing fundamentals that seemed to get lost at times last year.

Jordan Sigalet also needs to be punted into the sun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad