"The Big Dog" Eric Tangradi

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
He was on the 4th line in the last few games due to lack of production. He was in fact playing with Malkin for a while. Didnt produce and he was demoted.

I mention the AHL performance to tie into what I stated earlier. Overrated prospect. We'll see how he performs the rest of the season. If he doesnt excel, its likely he will be a career AHL guy.

Again, with so little competition in Pittsburgh for wingers, this cant be positive for his outlook.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
He was on the 4th line in the last few games due to lack of production. He was in fact playing with Malkin for a while. Didnt produce and he was demoted.

I mention the AHL performance to tie into what I stated earlier. Overrated prospect. We'll see how he performs the rest of the season. If he doesnt excel, its likely he will be a career AHL guy.

Again, with so little competition in Pittsburgh for wingers, this cant be positive for his outlook.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_706109.html

Consensus within the Penguins' hockey operations front office is that Tangradi showed during training camp and over nine regular-season games that he will be an everyday player at the highest level - and sooner rather than later.

"He had enough success to know he can play at this level and play an important role, but more importantly he also gained awareness of how competitive it is on a day-to-day basis," said Dan MacKinnon, the team's director of player personnel.

"For him to be able to go (to the AHL) and contribute as a first-line player will probably help him. It's all part of the process you see with teams lucky enough to have our depth, teams that really make use of sending young players down."

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Power forwards, eh? Look at Chris Stewart between '08-'09 and '09-'10.

Chris Stewart was a nice surprise, who came largely out of nowhere, at least considering the level he's playing at now.

That's not the kind of comparable you want to put too much faith in - that's an outlier.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
You have no idea what you're talking about.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_706109.html

Consensus within the Penguins' hockey operations front office is that Tangradi showed during training camp and over nine regular-season games that he will be an everyday player at the highest level - and sooner rather than later.

"He had enough success to know he can play at this level and play an important role, but more importantly he also gained awareness of how competitive it is on a day-to-day basis," said Dan MacKinnon, the team's director of player personnel.

"For him to be able to go (to the AHL) and contribute as a first-line player will probably help him. It's all part of the process you see with teams lucky enough to have our depth, teams that really make use of sending young players down."

Is this a joke? What do you expect them to say? Just another way of saying he's not ready. Im not saying he wont ever be a NHLer, I just question his realistic upside. Hopefully, he can prove me wrong and have an excellent season in the AHL. Lay off the kool aid boys. Most guys never have a real impact at the NHL level.

BTW, I dont know what Im talking about? Check out NHL.com and the play-by-play section. I checked the 1st 5 games. The 1st, 2nd, 4th & 5th games, Tangradi saw the bulk of his ice time with Malkin. Tangradi is #26, Malkin is #71 to make it clear for you.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Chris Stewart was a nice surprise, who came largely out of nowhere, at least considering the level he's playing at now.

That's not the kind of comparable you want to put too much faith in - that's an outlier.

Chris Stewart was taken 18th overall. Dont know how that is considered "out of nowhere".

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

James Neal. David Backes. Dustin Byfuglien. Ryane Clowe. Dustin Penner. Guillaume Latendresse. Brooks Laich. Ryan Malone. That's not even counting big guys like Franzen who developed in Europe.

So yeah. It's a fairly common thing for non-1st round big guys to take a while to hone their game.

Is this a joke? What do you expect them to say? Just another way of saying he's not ready. Im not saying he wont ever be a NHLer, I just question his realistic upside. Hopefully, he can prove me wrong and have an excellent season in the AHL. Lay off the kool aid boys. Most guys never have a real impact at the NHL level.

Is this the same kool-aid that several independent scouting services have drank to give favorable reports on Tangradi?

BTW, I dont know what Im talking about? Check out NHL.com and the play-by-play section. I checked the 1st 5 games. The 1st, 2nd, 4th & 5th games, Tangradi saw the bulk of his ice time with Malkin. Tangradi is #26, Malkin is #71 to make it clear for you.

So, that's 4 of 9 games. And all the time Tangradi played with Malkin was earned with solid play in camp and preseason. Of course, you'd know that if you had watched instead of looked at online play-by-plays after the fact.

Your whole shtick reeks of half-baked preconceived notions and awkward backpedaling.

Last edited:

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
James Neal. David Backes. Dustin Byfuglien. Ryane Clowe. Dustin Penner. Guillaume Latendresse. Brooks Laich. Ryan Malone. That's not even counting big guys like Franzen who developed in Europe.

So yeah. It's a fairly common thing for non-1st round big guys to take a while to hone their game.

Is this the same kool-aid that several independent scouting services have drank to give favorable reports on Tangradi?

So, that's 4 of 9 games. And all the time Tangradi played with Malkin was earned with solid play in camp and preseason. Of course, you'd know that if you had watched instead of looked at online play-by-plays after the fact.

Your whole shtick reeks of half-baked preconceived notions and awkward backpedaling.

If read what I wrote, you'd understand. He was playing with Malkin, didnt produce and got demoted to lower lines later. Now the AHL. And yes, I saw 2 of the games. Hence why I made the comment earlier. I cited the NHL website to back it up. What are you basing your opinion on? Your gut? Some of you guys are laughable. yes, every prospect will be a star in the NHL. LOL.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Yep, those are all decent comparables for Tangradi's upside. He could become a 2nd line power forward type, if he develops.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yep, those are all decent comparables for Tangradi's upside. He could become a 2nd line power forward type, if he develops.

It all depends on one's definition of "2nd line". 26 LWs scored 50 or more points last year, and that's the range Tangradi should fit into if he develops well.

I think some people get the impression Pittsburgh fans expect more than that from Tangradi - we really don't. It's just that a big player who can take up space in front of the net and score like that has been missing since Malone had his breakout year, and frankly, it would be an oasis in a sea of Dupuises, Talbots, and Rupps.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If read what I wrote, you'd understand. He was playing with Malkin, didnt produce and got demoted to lower lines later. Now the AHL. And yes, I saw 2 of the games. Hence why I made the comment earlier. I cited the NHL website to back it up. What are you basing your opinion on? Your gut? Some of you guys are laughable. yes, every prospect will be a star in the NHL. LOL.

My opinion of what? Whether Tangradi is a legitimate scoring line prospect?

Well, I'm basing it on my eyes, repeated comments from Penguins staff, and the consensus of virtually every reputable scouting service in North America.

History's shown that several big men take longer to develop. Writing such a player off at 21 because he got sent down after 9 games is laughable, it really is. I'll bet the organizations that boast the previous players I mentioned are really regretting not cutting ties with those guys as soon as they got old enough to drink. :rolleyes:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It all depends on one's definition of "2nd line". 26 LWs scored 50 or more points last year,

The 50ish point range is a good definition of 2nd line.

and that's the range Tangradi should fit into if he develops well.

He could. But I think we have to admit that Pens' brass was hoping that he'd be further along by now.

I think some people get the impression Pittsburgh fans expect more than that from Tangradi - we really don't. It's just that a big player who can take up space in front of the net and score like that has been missing since Malone had his breakout year, and frankly, it would be an oasis in a sea of Dupuises, Talbots, and Rupps.

I have to be honest - I do think that Pittsburgh fans, and many raters of Tangradi as a prospect, expect more than that from Tangradi.

If he was considered a 2nd-line upside prospect with some bust potential, I don't think he'd get nearly the attention he has received.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

He could. But I think we have to admit that Pens' brass was hoping that he'd be further along by now.

I have to be honest - I do think that Pittsburgh fans, and many raters of Tangradi as a prospect, expect more than that from Tangradi.

If he was considered a 2nd-line upside prospect with some bust potential, I don't think he'd get nearly the attention he has received.

I don't think Pens brass could have hoped he's much further along, given that he was injured in the first half of his first pro season and played mostly on the third line but still put up very good numbers in the 2nd half of the year.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Tangradi sent down to the AHL. I think he has 2 pts in 8 or 9 games so far while spoon fed quality ice time. Strike one. If he has a poor AHL season, it wont be promising for his future. This really isnt a good sign considering the lack of quality wingers on Pittsburgh.

getting to play 3 games total with crosby or malkin (where he had his points) then playing the rest on the 4th line in under 10 minutes is "spoon fed quality time"...?

:help:

Tangradi is what, 21? shesh. You act like he's got no chance to become anything :shakehead

most quality power forwards don't hit a decent progression period until they're about 25. Look at Ryan Malone for example!

AugustBurnsRed*

Haha yeah... further along? Sure we as fans had hoped that but that was just optimistic..he's a 21 year old powerforward.. just 2 years removed from playing against 16 year olds and a year removed from having a solid season in the AHL (after his hand healed)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

And yet, like I say, only 26 LWs got into that range last year.

I imagine that the Canucks, Blue Jackets, and Coyotes all hoped Hodgson, Filatov, and Turris would be further along by now than they are too. It happens.

That's your hang-up. I haven't seen much of that at all around here.

Posters mistake exuberance for a scoring wing prospect that's significantly better than Dupuis for expecting the kid to light the world on fire.

He really doesn't have bust potential. He's big, he moves well for his size, he's physical, he's produced well at every previous level despite injury setbacks, he made strides this year, and by all accounts has a great attitude. Tangradi actually looked very good driving the net, working the boards, and taking up space in front of goalies at the start of the year, he just tapered off a bit and got caught up in a numbers game with some vets on one-way contracts. Growing pains.

He's about as safe a bet as you can get from a guy drafted outside the 1st round. People weaned on lottery picks who produce right out of the gate sometimes have difficulty understanding that some prospects take a little longer, even when presented with several examples of similar players taking a similar road.

This is amazing. DuklaNation's single-minded quest to be wrong about EVERYTHING is quite inspiring.

Haha, no kidding.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I dont disagree with that. I claim he is not a "top prospect" for the NHL at this point.
The main reason he was sent down was because he was the only player on the roster that didn't have to pass through waivers. He was definetly good enough to stay but they aren't going to waive a vet just yet to keep him up there. I guarantee he'll be back before the playoffs after they figure out who to keep and who to dump.
He's not a top 10 NHL prospect but he most certainly will play in the NHL. Anyone who thinks he won't is not looking at the big picture. The pens are patient with their prospects and they don't need to force him into a situation where they have to depend on him just yet. He's a first or second line player that needs to play big minutes in that role to improve. He's not going to get those minutes in Pittsburgh just yet. The kids a keeper if I ever saw one!

Last edited:

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Break down what I was wrong about.

Already did, homie, but here you go again:

1. Tangradi's not a bad skater. Not even close.

2. Tangradi was getting a lot of hype towards the end of his stay in Anaheim. It's revisionist history to suggest he only started getting hype when traded to Pittsburgh. In fact, I remember the common Pens fan's opinion at the time was shock over getting such a great prospect as Tangradi on top of a very solid winger in Kunitz. I think most of us would have been alright with Kunitz + Mikkelsen or something like that, but to get Tangradi whose value was surging at the time was a coup.

3. The notion that Tangradi played with Malkin and didn't produce. He got minimal PP time and when he did, it was mostly second unit time with powerhouse NHL scoring dynamos Mike Comrie and Mark Letestu. Just over 1% of his ice-time was with Malkin on the PP. Spoonfed quality ice-time? Haha, what an outright lie.

4. By accounts of the coaching staff, he played quite well and was demoted because it was better for his development. But of course what would they know when you've "watched" him twice.

I could continue but there's no reason. That's more than enough evidence of your lack of knowledge on the subject of Tangradi.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Already did, homie, but here you go again:

1. Tangradi's not a bad skater. Not even close.

2. Tangradi was getting a lot of hype towards the end of his stay in Anaheim. It's revisionist history to suggest he only started getting hype when traded to Pittsburgh. In fact, I remember the common Pens fan's opinion at the time was shock over getting such a great prospect as Tangradi on top of a very solid winger in Kunitz. I think most of us would have been alright with Kunitz + Mikkelsen or something like that, but to get Tangradi whose value was surging at the time was a coup.

3. The notion that Tangradi played with Malkin and didn't produce. He got minimal PP time and when he did, it was mostly second unit time with powerhouse NHL scoring dynamos Mike Comrie and Mark Letestu. Just over 1% of his ice-time was with Malkin on the PP. Spoonfed quality ice-time? Haha, what an outright lie.

4. By accounts of the coaching staff, he played quite well and was demoted because it was better for his development. But of course what would they know when you've "watched" him twice.

I could continue but there's no reason. That's more than enough evidence of your lack of knowledge on the subject of Tangradi.

The fact that you would quote the Penguins coaching staff as a valid reason says it all. They are clearly biased. Therefore, it should be dismissed. Its a fact Taangradi played with Malkin for the bulk of the games I looked up. Yet you deny it. And Tangradi was not highly touted prior to the trade. Certain temas' prospects are always pumped up more. If he was still on Anaheim, no one would be talking about him. I consider him slow for the NHL, thats just my opinion, we just disagree. He doesnt execute at NHL speed. Not unlike a lot of rookies. Time & space are limited at this level.

I'll revisit this thread later. And my 'agenda' for those who ask, is some clear & rational opinions rather than spinning the usual BS.

Fact: most prospects dont cut it in the NHL. Ask yourself why.

Last edited:

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
The fact that you would quote the Penguins coaching staff as a valid reason says it all. They are clearly biased. Therefore, it should be dismissed. Its a fact Taangradi played with Malkin for the bulk of the games I looked up. Yet you deny it. And Tangradi was not highly touted prior to the trade. Certain temas' prospects are always pumped up more. If he was still on Anaheim, no one would be talking about him. I consider him slow for the NHL, thats just my opinion, we just disagree. He doesnt execute at NHL speed. Not unlike a lot of rookies. Time & space are limited at this level.

I'll revisit this thread later. And my 'agenda' for those who ask, is some clear & rational opinions rather than spinning the usual BS.

The only opinion that matters is that of the Penguins coaching staff. Your opinion or anyone elses on this fan forum doesn't matter. Their opinion is that he will play in the NHL some day soon for the Penguins. They seem to be a very good judge of talent. Is he going to be a super star in this league? NO! But he will be a good winger on a line with a super star center in either Crosby or Malkin. That is what the Penguins are grooming him for. He's only 21, a long way from being concidered a bust.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The fact that you would quote the Penguins coaching staff as a valid reason says it all. They are clearly biased.

Clearly, it doesn't matter who gets quoted, because whether it's former coaches, current teammates and staff, or independent prospect evaluators (read: not biased), everybody seems to think Tangradi's a good prospect.

Do tell, who is and unbiased source? Other than yourself, of course.

Therefore, it should be dismissed. Its a fact Taangradi played with Malkin for the bulk of the games I looked up. Yet you deny it. And Tangradi was not highly touted prior to the trade. Certain temas' prospects are always pumped up more. If he was still on Anaheim, no one would be talking about him. I consider him slow for the NHL, thats just my opinion, we just disagree. He doesnt execute at NHL speed. Not unlike a lot of rookies. Time & space are limited at this level.

Malkin and Tangradi spent a fair amount of time at even strength, and he looked pretty good there at first, then tapered off a bit.

It happens with big 21 year old PF rookies, as has been mentioned countless times.

The clear and rational opinion that prospects like Tangradi are make it or break it at 21, despite overwhelming evidence otherwise?

So is this supposed to be a "law of averages" thing? :rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad