"The Big Dog" Eric Tangradi

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think a 15g, 35 p season would be a respectable rookie campaign if he plays in Pittsburgh all year.

Only 4 rookies got 20+ goals last year, and 2 of those were 1st and 3rd overall picks. Possible for Tangradi, but pretty unlikely.

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
Playing with one of our superstar centers would definitely do something for his goal totals. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 20

Kessel>Seguin +

Not Even A Big Fan!!
Sep 16, 2008
Ontario
Watched this kid play for 4 years in junior and he can put up points playing alongside Sid of Geno in the NHL but he needs a linemate to do it.

And I have him as a friend on facebook and that is not his FB page ha

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
His nickname is really Big Dog? OK I've changed my mind. I'm glad we traded him, even if it was for Ryan Whiney.

sawtooth420

Jun 20, 2005
The hood'
I think Tangradi is one of the most underrated prospects. The guy is a beast,with great hands and decent skating. He truly reminds me more of Kevin Stevens than any prospect I have seen in a long time...And I'm not just saying that as a Pens homer. :yo:

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
His nickname is really Big Dog? OK I've changed my mind. I'm glad we traded him, even if it was for Ryan Whiney.
Its just this one guy who keeps pushing, its been pretty much uniformly rejected and mocked by the rest of us. It is the worst nickname I've ever heard.

AK

May 31, 2008
If "Big Dog" sticks, I hope Shero buries his ass in Wheeling forever.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Why do people actually care what his nickname is?

Yea, it's not as if teammates stroll around like "Yo Big Dawg, we goin' for a drink after the game?" *secret high-five hand shake*

It's a goofy gimmick for media to feast on and goofy fans to indulge in during their fantasy hour.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Well, their captain is nicknamed "Sid The Kid". Do you actually think "Big Dog" is worse?

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Watching him against the Leafs, he just looks too slow to me. Slow out of the gates and slow in his puck movement and in the offensive zone. Not much different than 2 yrs ago. I think if he was on Anaheim still, no one would be talking about him much. But because he's on Pittsburgh (Crosby, Malkin), he is touted highly. I dont see it personally. Until he has a good season other than his last OHL yr (at 20 yrs old), Im not a believer.

To date, Pittsburgh sidekicks have not had much success.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Watching him against the Leafs, he just looks too slow to me. Slow out of the gates and slow in his puck movement and in the offensive zone. Not much different than 2 yrs ago. I think if he was on Anaheim still, no one would be talking about him much. But because he's on Pittsburgh (Crosby, Malkin), he is touted highly. I dont see it personally. Until he has a good season other than his last OHL yr (at 20 yrs old), Im not a believer.

Couldn't disagree more. He moved very well out there tonight, especially for being 6'3", 220.

And his last good season was in the OHL? News to me, because he played great last year once the major injury to his hand healed. He put up about a PPG for the last half of the season.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Completely agree with Champagne, Tangradi was anything but slow tonight. He looked very good, very solid.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

That was exactly the case. Tangradi was almost never talked about in Anaheim, and the minute he went to Pittsburgh, everyone started to take notice, and he was all of a sudden a top-50 prospect on here.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That was exactly the case. Tangradi was almost never talked about in Anaheim, and the minute he went to Pittsburgh, everyone started to take notice, and he was all of a sudden a top-50 prospect on here.

He made the top 50 because he had his breakout season when he got traded. You're not going to gain repute putting up a PPG in the OHL after your draft year. But if you play a PF game and end up in the top 10 in league scoring, you're going to catch a few eyes.

Believe it or not, independent scouting services really don't have a bias towards Pittsburgh. Honest.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
If he's as fast you think, there is no excuse for him not making this roster. In fact given Pittsburgh's moves, they dont feel he will be on their roster. Go figure. For prospects like Tangradi, the #1 factor in them not making an NHL impact is lack of speed. Lets see what happens.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Saw him play yesterday and I was impressed. He skates well for such a big guy and he surprises me with his skill. He wasn't really shooting the puck but he set up some nice plays and demonstrated good vision on the ice. He's by no means a super star in the making but likely a great complementary player to one of Malkin or Crosby. He looks NHL ready to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad