"The Big Dog" Eric Tangradi

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If he's as fast you think, there is no excuse for him not making this roster. In fact given Pittsburgh's moves, they dont feel he will be on their roster. Go figure. For prospects like Tangradi, the #1 factor in them not making an NHL impact is lack of speed. Lets see what happens.

Tangradi actually has a good reputation for speed relative to his size - he just needed to work on his first step, and by most accounts he's done that this off-season.

He's got a good shot at making the big club this year, but Shero may simply want him to acclimate to AHL hockey for a full healthy season before putting him into a top 6 position on a contender. He's a GM that's fairly consistently shown he'd rather rely on veterans in complementary roles unless a young player blows him away.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Saw him play yesterday and I was impressed. He skates well for such a big guy and he surprises me with his skill. He wasn't really shooting the puck but he set up some nice plays and demonstrated good vision on the ice. He's by no means a super star in the making but likely a great complementary player to one of Malkin or Crosby. He looks NHL ready to me.

Pens fans just hope he's a Malone/Clowe in the making. Seems like a reasonable projection.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
He made the top 50 because he had his breakout season when he got traded. You're not going to gain repute putting up a PPG in the OHL after your draft year. But if you play a PF game and end up in the top 10 in league scoring, you're going to catch a few eyes.

Believe it or not, independent scouting services really don't have a bias towards Pittsburgh. Honest.

Tangradi did pick up steam on here during that season, but he picked up most of it after the trade. The day before, he was ranked as the Ducks' 2nd best prospect(although a lot of that had to do with Bobby Ryan graduating and Mark Mitera tearing his ACL, he was 4th at the start of the year) on a team ranked 22nd by HF(with Ryan on it) and behind Jake Gardiner. Two months later he's 15 spots ahead of Gardiner on HF's top 50 list, who checked in at 38. It is very safe to assume that if Tangradi isn't traded, he doesn't crack the HF top-50.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Tangradi did pick up steam on here during that season, but he picked up most of it after the trade. The day before, he was ranked as the Ducks' 2nd best prospect(although a lot of that had to do with Bobby Ryan graduating and Mark Mitera tearing his ACL, he was 4th at the start of the year) on a team ranked 22nd by HF(with Ryan on it) and behind Jake Gardiner. Two months later he's 15 spots ahead of Gardiner on HF's top 50 list, who checked in at 38. It is very safe to assume that if Tangradi isn't traded, he doesn't crack the HF top-50.

I'm not sure how recounting the two year old history of the state of the Anaheim Ducks prospect pool in any way led you to that conclusion. But Gardiner was ranked higher before Tangradi had a breakout season? I don't know why a prospect passing another is so impossible in your eyes, you know unless they get traded to a different market that inflates their worth to a website devoted to ranking prospects.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
If he's as fast you think, there is no excuse for him not making this roster. In fact given Pittsburgh's moves, they dont feel he will be on their roster. Go figure. For prospects like Tangradi, the #1 factor in them not making an NHL impact is lack of speed. Lets see what happens.

Shero made those moves so the rookies have to fight for their place, if he is ready then Shero will move someone to make space. It wouldn't be the first time a 2nd round pick needed 2 seasons in the AHL before the NHL (especially given his injuries in his first year).

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Shero made those moves so the rookies have to fight for their place, if he is ready then Shero will move someone to make space. It wouldn't be the first time a 2nd round pick needed 2 seasons in the AHL before the NHL (especially given his injuries in his first year).
He's a legit top prospect and just goes to show that Shero has an eye for talent. He will be on Pittsburgh at some point this season.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Now what could've happened in the 2 month interim that might've improved Tangradi's stature over Gardiner?

Well, according to the Ducks' Spring 2009 prospect ranking, Gardiner had 17 points in 29 games, but finished with 21 points in 39 games. So that's 4 points in his final 10 games after the ranking - not bad, but a decent step down in production, from .59 PPG to .4 PPG.

Meanwhile, Tangradi had won OHL Player of the Week when Belleville eliminated Niagara in the 2nd round and was tied for the OHL playoff scoring lead after that series with 20 points in 11 games before the team sputtered against Brampton and he went down to injury. Still, he finished 2nd in scoring among players who didn't reach the OHL finals.

See the difference? Big playoffs have a way of boosting a player's stock considerably, especially relative to a player who tapered off as the season went on. This is not a new development.

Last edited:

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
SOme people will defend prospects to no end. Tangradi needs to have a big yr even in the AHL or else his value will be in serious question. Fact: VAST majority of prospects do not make it in the NHL. Why is that?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
SOme people will defend prospects to no end. Tangradi needs to have a big yr even in the AHL or else his value will be in serious question. Fact: VAST majority of prospects do not make it in the NHL. Why is that?

James Neal, a similar player to Tangradi put up 62GP 18G 19A 37P in his first year in the AHL. Tangradi put up 65GP 17G 22A 39P in his first year in the AHL. If Tangradi plays in the AHL obviously he needs to put up more points than his 1st year but his 1st year was very respectable when you consider his injuries and his role.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
SOme people will defend prospects to no end. Tangradi needs to have a big yr even in the AHL or else his value will be in serious question.

Tangradi is all of 21 and has acclimated himself well at every level, including last year in the AHL. He's not on some sort of precipice between NHL contributor and washout, dependant on this year. Please explain where you get this impression.

Fact: VAST majority of prospects do not make it in the NHL. Why is that?

Yes, the vast majority of prospects don't make the NHL. How is this relevant?

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
How many prospects have 2 mediocre yrs to start their AHL career and actually make an impact in the NHL? Not many. That is why I state that this season is critical for his future.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
How many prospects have 2 mediocre yrs to start their AHL career and actually make an impact in the NHL? Not many. That is why I state that this season is critical for his future.

Brooks Laich comes to mind.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Tangradi hasn't even had a single mediocre year in the AHL; repeating it doesn't make it true. His hand hampered him for the first half, as it would any prospect who got sliced like he did, and in the second half he scored at a very good clip.

ET is a solid bet to make the team at some point this year, but if he doesn't, it's hardly a catastrophe.

Even if we restrict the parameters to active forwards who played 2+ seasons of non-elite minor-pro hockey, Jason Pominville, Brooks Laich, Patrick Sharp, Dustin Byfuglien, Brad Boyes, Ryane Clowe, Alexandre Burrows, and Mike Knuble seemed to end up alright.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
His nickname is really Big Dog? OK I've changed my mind. I'm glad we traded him, even if it was for Ryan Whiney.

No one in the Pens fanbase except for a few people embrace that name.

That was exactly the case. Tangradi was almost never talked about in Anaheim, and the minute he went to Pittsburgh, everyone started to take notice, and he was all of a sudden a top-50 prospect on here.

You have two posts saying pretty much the exact same thing.

Tangradi was Anaheim property when the 2008-2009 rankings came out, which would have been before his breakout season. When his breakout season was factored into the rankings, he was already Pens property.

The only reason he won't make the team is because management doesn't want to rush him. He could probably come in and produce in the NHL, but is that the best thing for his long term development remains the question.

What makes you think he won't make it to the NHL? The guy had a very, very serious hand injury going into last season. An injury that has left permanent damage to nerves in his hand. He started out slow, which is to be expected, but he really picked it up in the 2nd half of the season. Tangradi has done absolutely nothing to show that he isn't an NHL caliber player.

FACT: You have no idea what you're talking about.

Your argument is beat and holds absolutely no merit.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
No one in the Pens fanbase except for a few people embrace that name.

You have two posts saying pretty much the exact same thing.

Tangradi was Anaheim property when the 2008-2009 rankings came out, which would have been before his breakout season. When his breakout season was factored into the rankings, he was already Pens property.

The only reason he won't make the team is because management doesn't want to rush him. He could probably come in and produce in the NHL, but is that the best thing for his long term development remains the question.

What makes you think he won't make it to the NHL? The guy had a very, very serious hand injury going into last season. An injury that has left permanent damage to nerves in his hand. He started out slow, which is to be expected, but he really picked it up in the 2nd half of the season. Tangradi has done absolutely nothing to show that he isn't an NHL caliber player.

FACT: You have no idea what you're talking about.

Your argument is beat and holds absolutely no merit.

Your logic is laughable. Its not even supported by anything. I will revisit this thread in 1 yr to see how he's progressed.

And it is a fact that the longer a prospect remains in the AHL, the probability of him making an impact in the NHL decreases dramatically. That is irrefutable. I merely claim that IF and I said IF he doesnt have a better season in the AHL, his future potential is in question.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Your logic is laughable. Its not even supported by anything. I will revisit this thread in 1 yr to see how he's progressed.

And it is a fact that the longer a prospect remains in the AHL, the probability of him making an impact in the NHL decreases dramatically. That is irrefutable. I merely claim that IF and I said IF he doesnt have a better season in the AHL, his future potential is in question.

Well, you started out claiming a lot of things, though it looks like that's been tempered a bit.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

It's not like Tangradi is a long time AHL Veteran... The kid has only played one year in the AHL, and suffered most of it with the after affects of a serious hand surgery.

I expect him to be called up around mid-season, or whenever there is an injury and sticking. You also seem to be pretty hung up on his skating for some reason. He's not a burner, but he's also 6'3 220+, and has plenty of speed to keep up on a scoring line.

Of all of our prospects, I would probably rank him as the 2nd safest bet to have a successful career in the NHL. His game translates perfectly to the NHL.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I have been following Pens prospects since the 'Jack days and Tangradi is easily the best fwd. prospect to come through their actual farm going back to the early 90s.

This of course rules out the Crosbys, Malkins, Staals, etc. and should also take into account that their farm hasn't really produced many impact fwds over the years as well.

But I have to be frank when I say that I really can't take anyone seriously who claims Tangradi is "slow" or has "skating issues".

For his size he is an extremely good skater and he covers a lot of ice quickly. Anyone stating otherwise has an agenda IMHO.

He is one of the few prospects I have ever watched coming through the Jacks farm and WBS that I am 100% comfortable saying he will be an NHL player.

How impactful he will be, no one can say for sure, obviously.

I think his upside is a 50-60 point PF who pots about 20-25 goals a season and uses his underrated playmaking skills to help both Crosby and Malkin; at worst he will be a talented swing man on the third line who will make playing against the Pens extremely miserable.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I have been following Pens prospects since the 'Jack days and Tangradi is easily the best fwd. prospect to come through their actual farm going back to the early 90s.

This of course rules out the Crosbys, Malkins, Staals, etc. and should also take into account that their farm hasn't really produced many impact fwds over the years as well.

But I have to be frank when I say that I really can't take anyone seriously who claims Tangradi is "slow" or has "skating issues".

For his size he is an extremely good skater and he covers a lot of ice quickly. Anyone stating otherwise has an agenda IMHO.

He is one of the few prospects I have ever watched coming through the Jacks farm and WBS that I am 100% comfortable saying he will be an NHL player.

How impactful he will be, no one can say for sure, obviously.

I think his upside is a 50-60 point PF who pots about 20-25 goals a season and uses his underrated playmaking skills to help both Crosby and Malkin; at worst he will be a talented swing man on the third line who will make playing against the Pens extremely miserable.

Then your farm has been categorically the worst farm system man has ever witnessed.

Tangradi is a solid prospect. He'll be an NHL player, and probably a pretty good one. But, he isn't close to being a Blue chip prospect and shouldn't have been on the top 50 list at any point.

He's the new Shawn Matthias.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Then your farm has been categorically the worst farm system man has ever witnessed.

The worst... uh no... but it hasn't been great either.

Good luck finding any impact fwds that came through the Pens farm.

Tangradi is a solid prospect. He'll be an NHL player, and probably a pretty good one. But, he isn't close to being a Blue chip prospect and shouldn't have been on the top 50 list at any point.

Your opinion, nothing more and I strongly disagree.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
The worst... uh no... but it hasn't been great either.

Your opinion, nothing more and I strongly disagree.

Yet in your analysis of Tangradi, the impression is given that he projects to be a solid if unspectacular NHL player. Something Matthias is/will be ; something Tangradi projects to be.

I have never truely understood the hype based around Tangradi. He's not an elite prospect.

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
Yet in your analysis of Tangradi, the impression is given that he projects to be a solid if unspectacular NHL player. Something Matthias is/will be ; something Tangradi projects to be.

I have never truely understood the hype based around Tangradi. He's not an elite prospect.

No one says or thinks he's elite...that's a term that gets thrown around way too much. There's like what...3 maybe 4 elite players in the NHL. Same goes for prospects.

Tangradi is an above average prospect who finds himself in a great situation given his skillset, since they exactly match what the Pens lack. He's not a world beater...but he could develop into a really nice player.

I don't think he's being overrated at all in fact...he's got a perfect combination of skill and opportunity...that's usually a recipe for success.

If you don't think he'll pan out that's fine...he's far from a certainty. But he does possess a pretty high ceiling given his situation.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Whenever someone says that a player is fast "for his size", that means he's slow. SOme guys top end speed is OK but if takes too long to get there its useless. If he's as fast as you think, he should be in the NHL next month guaranteed.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Who has said he is an elite prospect?

Pens fans dubbing him as the Pens' best forward prospect doesn't equal us believing he'll be elite, just that of all our forward prospects he's got the best/most upside.

And since when do only elite prospects warrant anticipation? Not every prospect is going to fill your team's quota for Star Player. Some will fill in nicely as complimentary players who can play with said Star Player.

In Tangradi's case, that's exactly what we're looking at him as. Crosby and Malkin are the Star Players, and hopefully Tangradi can slot in on one of their wings as that complimentary player.

You make it sound like every thread about Tangradi has people making him out to be the next Alex Ovechkin or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad