The 'best player' vs 'most valuable to team' problem.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
There are a ton a players who are “valuable” to their team, but it’s simply about who is the most valuable in the grand scheme of things.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Gaudreau either scores or assists on over 40% of his team's goals this season.
He could easily win the "most valuable to his team" argument.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Hart trophy is a joke... Taylor Hall is mentioned it for being "best on his team", while not being top10 player in league... Sorry, that should never be considered MVP trophy... Gave him the trophy for being "best for his team", and make real MVP trophy- for best player...

Lindsay is flawed too, because its the players vote... Some people say players are most competent people to vote, but it doesn't have to be excatly true... See soccer awards "voted by players", and its even bigger joke than writers (although in 2013 players corrected the travesty wich was giving MVP to Ovechkin, and voted for actually best player in the league...). Plus players tend to be terribly biased.

The most competent people voting would be coaches/GMs, because its their job to evaluate the talent, but again- there's high risk they could be biased...

Taylor Hall is absolutely a top 10 player in this league unless you have been living under a rock the past 6 months.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I would say the best player in the league is inherently the most valuable player as well.

That's only if you ignore durability, but durability often factors into who is having the best season. Then again durability also factors into who is the best player as well, well, at least it does for a very small percentage of hockey fans.

Last edited:

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Is Kucherov having a better season than McDavid? And I don't think saying Kucherov is better than McDavid is a silly position to take. McDavid was crowned too soon.

McDavid has like what 10 pp points this season lol. Oilers have the worst PP in the league. This has nothing to do with McDavid. Despite Mcdavids horrendoes PP numbers hes still 3rd in league scoring.

Reactions: John Pedro

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
In a way, shouldn't MVP be the President Trophy winner's best player? Or another top team's player who was significantly better than rest of the team? If you are the best player of bad/mediocre team it shouldn't matter since the outcome was horrible.

M C D A V I D

Feb 12, 2018
You could also say that if Mcdavid had the help Malkin or Kucherov have, he'd look far and away the best player in the league too.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
In a way, shouldn't MVP be the President Trophy winner's best player? Or another top team's player who was significantly better than rest of the team? If you are the best player of bad/mediocre team it shouldn't matter since the outcome was horrible.

MVP should be the one who is the best at playing hockey... Wheter he plays for President Trophy winner, or a lottery team, or how much he leads his team in scoring, all should be irrelevant...

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Slow start aside, the best player in the 2nd half of the season has been Malkin and nobody is close to that.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
McDavid has like what 10 pp points this season lol. Oilers have the worst PP in the league. This has nothing to do with McDavid. Despite Mcdavids horrendoes PP numbers hes still 3rd in league scoring.

It sucks that McDavid has absolutely no way to influence his PP performance.

Reactions: Cammo Dude

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Nathan MacKinnon has been the best player since Nov. 1. Another game or two and he is a solid #2 IMO, if not already.

I don't understand this kind of nitpicking and I this is just not targeted at you.

I believe Eric Staal has been the best player since February 23rd. It doesn't matter. What matters are the standings at the end of the season. And right now, everything is Kucherov's to lose.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
When it comes to skaters, the Hart is all about total points. There's no way a guy with 100+pts gonna lose it to a guy with 90 or fewer pts no matter how valuable that player may be to his team success. MacKinnon and Hall have been incredible, but it's the way she goes.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't understand this kind of nitpicking and I this is just not targeted at you.

I believe Eric Staal has been the best player since February 23rd. It doesn't matter. What matters are the standings at the end of the season. And right now, everything is Kucherov's to lose.

That was my point too.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
When it comes to skaters, the Hart is all about total points. There's no way a guy with 100+pts gonna lose it to a guy with 90 or fewer pts no matter how valuable that player may be to his team success. MacKinnon and Hall have been incredible, but it's the way she goes.
If a guy like Bergeron gets 85, he should beat someone around 100.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad