OT: The Beer Thread

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I feel like the craft beer explosion has forced - or maybe made it easier for - regular brands to up their game. Fair?
All the mainstream brands did was start buying up craft breweries to lessen their competition. Goose Island was halfway decent before Anheiser Busch bought them out...Now if I have just one, it gives me a massive headache the next day. (which I won't anymore, learned my lesson).

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
All the mainstream brands did was start buying up craft breweries to lessen their competition. Goose Island was halfway decent before Anheiser Busch bought them out...Now if I have just one, it gives me a massive headache the next day. (which I won't anymore, learned my lesson).
I remember in the early 90's there was a witbier out of Austin Tx called Celis White. It is, to this day, the finest example of a witbier I have ever tasted.

Coors (before Miller engulfed them) threw a shit ton of money at the owner of the brewery and bought him out so they could bury the recipe and have no domestic competition for the rotting vegetation in a bottle that is Blue Moon. :mad:

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Oh I'm aware, doesn't mean I like it or I will pay it often. The overpriced 4 pack is way more prevalent back here on the east coast, although Ballast Point began pushing the $15 six pack of bottles as a forerunner to this trend about 7-8 years ago.

That local brewery near my house is as high as I'll pay, at $12 for 4 16 ounce cans. I'm not cheap at all, I'm stubborn. There's so many good options in the craft beer world, that I don't need to feel like I'm being gouged. Plus most of the styles that are overpriced aren't my speed anyway. I don't do fruity or barleywines or triple IPAs etc. Worst case, I can survive on Sierra Nevada or Two Roads for $10 a six pack.

Oh man I definitely can understand where you are coming from. There are indeed incidents of price gouging (usually from hype breweries who have "special" releases and then set prices way high) BUT I wouldn't consider any of the prices I mentioned gouging or "overpriced" at all in the right circumstances. Nor was Ballast Point's pricing on their Sculpin's back in the day. The circumstances are buying beer from really good brewers and of course, that you like the style.

The economics of Hazy's, fruited sours, and adjuncted stouts/mixed-ferms are actually quite interesting. The huge amount of hops used in the dry hopping process, the barrel aging process (time), adding crazy amount of adjuncts all put a huge cost on beer. As you said though, you don't care for those types of beers anyway.

I can say though that many of new/really small craft breweries set their prices for, lets say a DDH DIPA, at that $20/4pk level because it's the going rate and the vast majority of the time, that is over-priced cause I can tell you that the hops they have in that hazy are not the best quality and they don't have the skills to overcome that. Unless they have an in with a producer they are usually the low man on the totem pole when it comes to hop selection. Although, from their point of view, they charge that much also due to their price for those hops being higher because the volume purchased is so low.

You see the Sierra Nevada, Two Roads, Stone, Bells, Brooklyn at those low prices because their cost per unit is so much lower (low adjunct, high volume, repeatable process). Hey and all those breweries make some great beer!

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
I disagree with this. Goose Island had an average at best core before the buyout. They were hyped bc of their fantastic barrel program that was at the forefront. People just like to say it was better before the buyout bc they sold out or misremember how good it was bc of that. Also, the reality of the situation is they gained access to better and more consistent ingredients bc of ABI’s malt/hops contracts and peoples palates change over time.

Reactions: LokiDog

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
I don't remember the name of the place (think its Olives or Olivia's) in the winter garden food court at Brookfield place regularly has heady topper and focal banger but charges like $15 PER CAN.

I laughed when i asked the girl behind the counter how much they were. I know a lot of tourists flow through that area and both IPAs are very good but $15 for a pint is wild even by NYC standards.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I don't remember the name of the place (think its Olives or Olivia's) in the winter garden food court at Brookfield place regularly has heady topper and focal banger but charges like $15 PER CAN.

I laughed when i asked the girl behind the counter how much they were. I know a lot of tourists flow through that area and both IPAs are very good but $15 for a pint is wild even by NYC standards.
I think Heady has become really, really, really inconsistent. And hasn't been as good as it was before The Alchemist opened their place in Stowe. Focal Banger remains excellent.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
I think Heady has become really, really, really inconsistent. And hasn't been as good as it was before The Alchemist opened their place in Stowe. Focal Banger remains excellent.

I've always thought Focal was the better of the two. Not sure when I tried both for the first time but it had to have been around 2018 so I likely never had the "original" Heady.

But you do bring up an interesting point about quality changing as things expand. I remember going to the original other half in BK shortly after they opened and that was pretty much the only place you could get their stuff. Then as the years went on and things became bigger and bigger I feel like the current offerings aren't as good as the originals. The original space diamonds, or triple citra dreams were some of my favorites.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Some really good local breweries…

Grimm
Equilibrium
Captain Lawrence
Industrial Arts
Other Half
District96
Defiant

You’ve probably seen these on draft or available in can in the NYC area
You know I just can’t get into Grimm. I buy a solo can from time to time and I just don’t think their IPAs are as good most the other places you listed.

Equilibrium is good stuff, same with District 96. Wrench from industrial arts is my go to draft at the local watering hole.

Pretty much just an IPA guy or heavy pours of ketel and club

Reactions: Leonardo87

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
You know I just can’t get into Grimm. I buy a solo can from time to time and I just don’t think their IPAs are as good most the other places you listed.

Equilibrium is good stuff, same with District 96. Wrench from industrial arts is my go to draft at the local watering hole.

I think Singlecut makes some very solid IPAs if you're into the double dry hopped / citra stuff.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
A long time ago, I was an Assistant Manager at this bar in Chicago. I set up a promotion with a brewery out of Milwaukee called Leinenkugel - their beer is .0000002% better than Bud/Miller etc. I figure we'll drum up a little extra business on a slow-ish night.

The brewery owner comes down for the promotion. Nice guy, probably mid 50's, a little chubby - would not look out of place in a Coen brothers film.

Imagine my shock when all of a sudden, the bar looks like the Rolling Stones are playing there. The place is MOBBED. Young women literally pulling their tops up and asking this guy to sign their boobs with a sharpie. :laugh: I was absolutely flabbergasted. He handled it all with grace though.

Reactions: Gordon Bombay
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I feel like the craft beer explosion has forced - or maybe made it easier for - regular brands to up their game. Fair?
I don't see it this way. When you say "regular brands" I assume you me the ABs and MCs. Those guys don't need to up their game because they have three things:

1. They have a lot of control over distribution
2. They have managed to to be very consistent (that is to say if you drink a Bud in Connecticut, it will taste almost exactly the same as if you drink a Bud in Arizona)
3. They have the money to take on or simply buy up what they consider to be a threat (no matter how small).

And I don't see the regular brands having any interest in upping their game.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I don't see it this way. When you say "regular brands" I assume you me the ABs and MCs. Those guys don't need to up their game because they have three things:

1. They have a lot of control over distribution
2. They have managed to to be very consistent (that is to say if you drink a Bud in Connecticut, it will taste almost exactly the same as if you drink a Bud in Arizona)
3. They have the money to take on or simply buy up what they consider to be a threat (no matter how small).

And I don't see the regular brands having any interest in upping their game.
While I don't like their beer or their practices of buying up smaller breweries and cheaping out on ingredients to lessen the quality of those acquired beers, I will say that Anheuser Busch is extremely generous to bars.

I was running this place on 6th between 1st and Ave A. My AB rep asks if I'll carry these 16 oz Bud bottles shaped like bowling pins. I already carry 16 oz Bud in bottles so sure - why not? As long as they're not shaped like Ron Jeremy's nether region, who gives a shit what the bottles look like?

So I tell him "sure - no problem" He says "thanks" and hands me 8 Bud Box tickets for 4 Rangers games at MSG - just for carrying a product I already carry in a slightly different shape.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
I think Singlecut makes some very solid IPAs if you're into the double dry hopped / citra stuff.
I agree. Lately I've been getting 4 packs from Beer Tree. They always have something new out and it's usually pretty good.

While I'm talking beer, I do like session IPAs a lot. I'm not always looking for an 8% pint when I'm at family party. A lot of the breweries don't make them. You see Founder's, Lawson's, and some others, but anyone know why?

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
While I don't like their beer or their practices of buying up smaller breweries and cheaping out on ingredients to lessen the quality of those acquired beers, I will say that Anheuser Busch is extremely generous to bars.

I was running this place on 6th between 1st and Ave A. My AB rep asks if I'll carry these 16 oz Bud bottles shaped like bowling pins. I already carry 16 oz Bud in bottles so sure - why not? As long as they're not shaped like Ron Jeremy's nether region, who gives a shit what the bottles look like?

So I tell him "sure - no problem" He says "thanks" and hands me 8 Bud Box tickets for 4 Rangers games at MSG - just for carrying a product I already carry in a slightly different shape.
So they don’t actually cheap out on the ingredients. That’s a major misconception. That goes for any of the craft breweries that AB, MC, Constellation, etc buyout. They typically supply them with better malts/hops due to their contracts and sheer buying power. That’s actually what a lot of the smaller breweries rail against is their lack of access to the best quality materials.

When these breweries get bought out, they typically get massive upgrades. Better QA labs (if they even had one beforehand). Better cleaning materials and systems. More efficient processes to help limit waste and increase production.

With that said it’s not all amazing. Typically they lose some control. Whether that’s branding, shelf life or specific brand distribution priorities, it’s a give and take.

Sorry for the rant. I’ve worked for breweries and distributors and it’s always bugged me about the quality myth that gets thrown around about big breweries. If you ever get a chance to tour one, they’re incredibly impressive. You may not like the liquid, but it’s not from a lack of quality ingredients or process, it’s from a taste preference.

Reactions: egelband

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Grimm and Equilibrium did a cross beer earlier this year. I just seem to always like what Grimm is on draft, am like 4/4 now.

Reactions: Gordon Bombay

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
So they don’t actually cheap out on the ingredients. That’s a major misconception. That goes for any of the craft breweries that AB, MC, Constellation, etc buyout. They typically supply them with better malts/hops due to their contracts and sheer buying power. That’s actually what a lot of the smaller breweries rail against is their lack of access to the best quality materials.

When these breweries get bought out, they typically get massive upgrades. Better QA labs (if they even had one beforehand). Better cleaning materials and systems. More efficient processes to help limit waste and increase production.

With that said it’s not all amazing. Typically they lose some control. Whether that’s branding, shelf life or specific brand distribution priorities, it’s a give and take.

Sorry for the rant. I’ve worked for breweries and distributors and it’s always bugged me about the quality myth that gets thrown around about big breweries. If you ever get a chance to tour one, they’re incredibly impressive. You may not like the liquid, but it’s not from a lack of quality ingredients or process, it’s from a taste preference.
This makes sense to me. While they’re always looking to improve efficiency and value, I think the big brewers want to improve the quality and flavor likewise. It may not be a desperate scramble but just naturally they’re getting better. At least, anecdotally, that’s what I find here in Japan. The standard brews from the big four - Asahi, Kirin, Sapporo, Suntory - have all improved as far as I can tell over the past 20 years or so. Not to mention the seasonal and limited editions they all offer now. At least here I think they’re trying to keep up with the joneses as well as having big buying power.
This goes even moreso for their happoshu offerings which used to be pretty awful and now are basically as good as a typical low end easy drinking beer.

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
This makes sense to me. While they’re always looking to improve efficiency and value, I think the big brewers want to improve the quality and flavor likewise. It may not be a desperate scramble but just naturally they’re getting better. At least, anecdotally, that’s what I find here in Japan. The standard brews from the big four - Asahi, Kirin, Sapporo, Suntory - have all improved as far as I can tell over the past 20 years or so. Not to mention the seasonal and limited editions they all offer now. At least here I think they’re trying to keep up with the joneses as well as having big buying power.
This goes even moreso for their happoshu offerings which used to be pretty awful and now are basically as good as a typical low end easy drinking beer.
Kirin and Asahi have beautiful facilities and I always liked Minho and hitachino nest while I lived over there. The main issue is just the limitation of the beer style itself. I think that’s part of the problem with quality perception. Comparing an adjunct lager to a marzen or ipa just isn’t a fair comparison.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Kirin and Asahi have beautiful facilities and I always liked Minho and hitachino nest while I lived over there. The main issue is just the limitation of the beer style itself. I think that’s part of the problem with quality perception. Comparing an adjunct lager to a marzen or ipa just isn’t a fair comparison.
Absolutely true there is a very narrow range of styles here. But if you like a lager or a Pilsner this is a pretty good place. And getting better.

Reactions: Do you want ants

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
A long time ago, I was an Assistant Manager at this bar in Chicago. I set up a promotion with a brewery out of Milwaukee called Leinenkugel - their beer is .0000002% better than Bud/Miller etc. I figure we'll drum up a little extra business on a slow-ish night.

The brewery owner comes down for the promotion. Nice guy, probably mid 50's, a little chubby - would not look out of place in a Coen brothers film.

Imagine my shock when all of a sudden, the bar looks like the Rolling Stones are playing there. The place is MOBBED. Young women literally pulling their tops up and asking this guy to sign their boobs with a sharpie. :laugh: I was absolutely flabbergasted. He handled it all with grace though.
New Glarus Brewing Company outside of Milwaukee is where it's at.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Having lived in SoCal and Denver each for ~10 years, I've been pretty lucky with my exposure to craft beer over the years. Back in the early 2010s, the Bruery completely changed my perspective on what beer could be. In any history book on craft beer, there should be a chapter dedicated to Patrick Rue, the same way you'd have a chapter on Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Bourbon County.

Not for nothing, I've been extremely particular in the last 5+ years of not buying any beer that's non-craft, non-independent if I can help it. My mindset is, if you're a great craft brewery and sell out to AB-InBev? Fantastic! Thrilled for the owners, happy they got paid. But I won't support AB-InBev and won't buy that beer anymore. So no more Bourbon County from Goose Island, no more Deschutes Lagunitas IPA, etc. Maybe it's a bit dogmatic, but these giants are actively trying to destroy the industry and I don't want to support it with my money.

There was an app called "Craft Check" that kept a list of which breweries were still deemed Craft and independent by the Brewer's Association definition, but I don't believe the app has been updated in the last couple years. I think Untappd is starting to note which breweries are subsidiaries of the giants now, but not sure how comprehensive it is. If anyone has better resources they know of, I'd be extremely interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boris Zubov

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.

I'm certainly not going to argue with your experience in the field. And I admit, my subjective experiences could be completely psychological, but as an example I feel like Hoogaarden tastes completely different since they were taken over by AB. Essentially, we're talking about "eye test" vs. "advanced stats" but for beer instead of hockey. :laugh:

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
I'm certainly not going to argue with your experience in the field. And I admit, my subjective experiences could be completely psychological, but as an example I feel like Hoogaarden tastes completely different since they were taken over by AB. Essentially, we're talking about "eye test" vs. "advanced stats" but for beer instead of hockey. :laugh:
The funny thing is Hoogaarden was bought by InBev before InBev bought AB. It could be a couple of things. You could have been getting it from one facility and then it got moved to another so it tastes slightly different or more likely your palate has just changed over time. Or hell they could have tweaked the recipe. New Belgium and Cigar City have tweaked their hop blends over time.

Having lived in SoCal and Denver each for ~10 years, I've been pretty lucky with my exposure to craft beer over the years. Back in the early 2010s, the Bruery completely changed my perspective on what beer could be. In any history book on craft beer, there should be a chapter dedicated to Patrick Rue, the same way you'd have a chapter on Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Bourbon County.

Not for nothing, I've been extremely particular in the last 5+ years of not buying any beer that's non-craft, non-independent if I can help it. My mindset is, if you're a great craft brewery and sell out to AB-InBev? Fantastic! Thrilled for the owners, happy they got paid. But I won't support AB-InBev and won't buy that beer anymore. So no more Bourbon County from Goose Island, no more Deschutes IPA, etc. Maybe it's a bit dogmatic, but these giants are actively trying to destroy the industry and I don't want to support it with my money.

There was an app called "Craft Check" that kept a list of which breweries were still deemed Craft and independent by the Brewer's Association definition, but I don't believe the app has been updated in the last couple years. I think Untappd is starting to note which breweries are subsidiaries of the giants now, but not sure how comprehensive it is. If anyone has better resources they know of, I'd be extremely interested.
Makes sense. Deschutes hasn’t sold though. They’re still independent, so feel free to pick that back up guilt free if you like their beers. Maybe you’re thinking of them acquiring Boneyard? Or New Belgium/Bells selling to Kirin?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad