OT: The Beer Thread

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Amstel light. Every time I tried to drink it I would get immediate heartburn.
Nothing worse than the skunky Euro beers in the mold of Stella, Heineken, Amstel, Becks, Grolsch, Peroni, Pilsner Urquell, etc. Those beers are like Budwesier, Coors, Miller, etc to me. I'd rather drink club soda if those are the choices.

European's other than the German's with their Marzen style, should stick to wine. American craft beer is so much better than just about anything across the pond. To my palate, Belgian beer is awful with that coriander after taste. It's red wine all day when I'm in Europe. Just one man's not so humble opinion.

I take it back. We did go to Highland. I forgot the name, but looking at the pictures, we were definitely there. I think we hit up like 18 places in all. It's hard to remember all the names, lol.
Bend, Oregon is very similar. Way too buzzed to remember all the places we went in to.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Yo if anyone still lives in Jersey, especially down the shore or by Trenton but they really might be all over, I definitely suggest the Hunterdon Brewing variety packs, they put some good, good shit in those and it's cheap

Attachments

• 5A6FF235-2759-4440-A4A7-D94818B34BD0.jpeg
    5A6FF235-2759-4440-A4A7-D94818B34BD0.jpeg
    321.4 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Nothing worse than the skunky Euro beers in the mold of Stella, Heineken, Amstel, Becks, Grolsch, Peroni, Pilsner Urquell, etc. Those beers are like Budwesier, Coors, Miller, etc to me. I'd rather drink club soda if those are the choices.

European's other than the German's with their Marzen style, should stick to wine. American craft beer is so much better than just about anything across the pond. To my palate, Belgian beer is awful with that coriander after taste. It's red wine all day when I'm in Europe. Just one man's not so humble opinion.

Bend, Oregon is very similar. Way too buzzed to remember all the places we went in to.

I really have to agree. German beer has variety, bocks, marzen, dunkel. Belgian is okay when it’s like a barrel aged triple without the coriander after taste, but overall not something I go out of my way for. The rest of beer from Europe is significantly behind the American craft scene.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I really have to agree. German beer has variety, bocks, marzen, dunkel. Belgian is okay when it’s like a barrel aged triple without the coriander after taste, but overall not something I go out of my way for. The rest of beer from Europe is significantly behind the American craft scene.
Czech beers are pretty good too, but I agree that the Belgians aren't my favorites.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
It cracks me up that not that long ago people scoffed at you for drinking domestic. Now the scene has exploded and I honestly prefer American craft over 90% of import.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
It cracks me up that not that long ago people scoffed at you for drinking domestic. Now the scene has exploded and I honestly prefer American craft over 90% of import.
It's not even close at this point. I grew up on bad beer, Bud, Coors light, Michelob light, etc. I actually gave up beer for a few years because I just really never enjoyed it & I soon realized everything I was used to was all terrible.

It wasn't til my palate evolved & someone turned me on to Sam Adams in the late 90s that I began to appreciate that beer could have body & big flavor. Moving out west was the real game changer for me in 2007...the scene was exploding out there & I was all in.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
It comes to $3.75 per can. That's pricey but not terrible. But I will let you know if it is the best beer on planet earth.
Please do!

The local brewery down the road from here in Connecticut sells their 16 ounce cans for $12 for a 4 pack & that seemed outrageous to me. I still buy it, because its outstanding & I'm a lush, but inflation sure does suck.

I'm just old & out of touch. The days when a suitcase of bud cans was $9.99 doesn't seem that long ago. Sigh.

Brother Mouzone

May 23, 2014
Brother Mouzone is a craft beer guy have checked in 895 different beers on my untappd app . IMHO top 5 styles #1 BA stout , #2 lambic , #3 Trappist ales, #4 Hazy IPA , #5 Porter .

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Also, shout out to @Michigan , been reading a lot of Hellboy graphic novels as of late. Great stuff!
Very cool. The writing and art are so good. It's too bad more people don't read books that are not superhero and are not from Marvel or DC (excluding their good imprints such as Vertigo that produces great titles such as Alan Moore's Swamp Thing or Neil Gaiman's Sandman).

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Very cool. The writing and art are so good. It's too bad more people don't read books that are not superhero and are not from Marvel or DC (excluding their good imprints such as Vertigo that produces great titles such as Alan Moore's Swamp Thing or Neil Gaiman's Sandman).

I’m more into the independent comics myself like TMNT , and I’m a big fan of Usagi Yoijimbo. Such an underrated comic.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

I've actaully gone back the other way. So many breweries now in the US competing for space in the Craft market, that too many of them either just dump in a bunch of hops to cover bad beer, or rely on other 'gimmick' add-ins, like chocolate nibs, coffee, peanut butter, skittles, fruits, etc...

Just got tired of having 10 different beers and only being able to stomach maybe two of them.

I'm pretty much just drinking well made German, Belgian, and Czech beers. give me Ayinger, Augustiner, or Westmalle.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Worst that haven't been mentioned:

Black Label - this was the only thing on tap at a dodgy midtown strip joint (was there for a bachelor party). It literally came out of the tap colored green - and no, it wasn't St. Patrick's Day.

Schmidt's - my notoriously frugal dad would buy 10 cases at a time for maybe 50 bucks and keep them in the garage. My friends and I snuck a case out one night and even by high school, take what you can get standards, it was truly dreadful.

Favorite Breweries:

Allagash - Portland, ME
Bell's - Kalamazoo, Michigan
Schneider Weisse - Kelheim, Bavaria

Favorite styles:

Hefe-Weizen
Witbier

Also - Guiness in Ireland is pretty amazing. Guiness brewed in Pittsburgh for US consumption is crap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boris Zubov

RagFinMet

Jan 5, 2019
Cricket Hill in Fairfield NJ is very good

Schlitz is the worst ever

Keep in mind im not much of a beer drinker haha

Wanna talk vodka?
Grey Goose for me

And a big captain morgan spiced rum fan as well

thesnake

Apr 25, 2007
New Vernon
Cricket Hill in Fairfield NJ is very good

Schlitz is the worst ever

Keep in mind im not much of a beer drinker haha

Wanna talk vodka?
Grey Goose for me

And a big captain morgan spiced rum fan as well
I was just at Cricket Hill a few weeks back for the first time... didn't have a single beer I thought was any good. Magnify just a little bit from there is much better IMO...

Our favorite is Hill Farmstead when we get up to Vermont.

Locally I love Icarus and Kane...

Worst for me is Coors Lite... no clue how anyone drinks that. Or anything with pumpkin in it... nasty

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Worst that haven't been mentioned:

Black Label - this was the only thing on tap at a dodgy midtown strip joint (was there for a bachelor party). It literally came out of the tap colored green - and no, it wasn't St. Patrick's Day.

Schmidt's - my notoriously frugal dad would buy 10 cases at a time for maybe 50 bucks and keep them in the garage. My friends and I snuck a case out one night and even by high school, take what you can get standards, it was truly dreadful.

Favorite Breweries:

Allagash - Portland, ME
Bell's - Kalamazoo, Michigan
Schneider Weisse - Kelheim, Bavaria

Favorite styles:

Hefe-Weizen
Witbier

Also - Guiness in Ireland is pretty amazing. Guiness brewed in Pittsburgh for US consumption is crap.
My Dad was Schmidt's drinker as well back in the 70s. He graduated to Budweiser at some point.

Bell's Amber & Bell's Two Hearted are both excellent beers.

Reactions: Kaapo di tutti capi

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
My Dad was Schmidt's drinker as well back in the 70s. He graduated to Budweiser at some point.

Bell's Amber & Bell's Two Hearted are both excellent beers.
Not a big IPA fan (Two Hearted) but Bell's Amber is a fantastic beer.

EDIT: I run a theater in Nashville. I've tried so many times to turn people on to Bell's and they don't want it so I stopped stocking it. All the tourists want local Nashville beer and the breweries here are mediocre at best.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Please do!

The local brewery down the road from here in Connecticut sells their 16 ounce cans for $12 for a 4 pack & that seemed outrageous to me. I still buy it, because its outstanding & I'm a lush, but inflation sure does suck.

I'm just old & out of touch. The days when a suitcase of bud cans was $9.99 doesn't seem that long ago. Sigh.

That's nothing for smaller breweries. Usually 4pks average $14-18 for crispy bois, and $18-22 for Hazies/Kettle Sours. Bottles? Phew hold on to yer butt: 500ml mixed ferm/ba stouts can be anywhere from $12-30. 750ml $20-50+. Craft beer is on the level of wine and whiskey now and it's not because of inflation/COVID. These have been the prices for the past several years.

Brother Mouzone is a craft beer guy have checked in 895 different beers on my untappd app . IMHO top 5 styles #1 BA stout , #2 lambic , #3 Trappist ales, #4 Hazy IPA , #5 Porter .
giphy.gif
:D

I've gone down the craft beer rabbit hole. I can thank my tongue because I actually like all styles and your top 5 are all beautiful styles. I've been lucky enough to make friends with other psycho beer people and have had, what many would say, some of the best beer from the best craft breweries in the world. It's a fun (and expensive) hobby (along with home brewing).

In order to appreciate the great beer, you've had to have some bad and parties while Undergrad at PSU definitely provided a lot of shit beer, although Yeungling was great for PA party beer. Genesee (specifically cream ale) Schlitz (makes ya shitz) and Jacob's Ladder (to crawl down a dark hole), are three that stand out as regrettable ingestions.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
That's nothing for smaller breweries. Usually 4pks average $14-18 for crispy bois, and $18-22 for Hazies/Kettle Sours. Bottles? Phew hold on to yer butt: 500ml mixed ferm/ba stouts can be anywhere from $12-30. 750ml $20-50+. Craft beer is on the level of wine and whiskey now and it's not because of inflation/COVID. These have been the prices for the past several years.

giphy.gif
:D

I've gone down the craft beer rabbit hole. I can thank my tongue because I actually like all styles and your top 5 are all beautiful styles. I've been lucky enough to make friends with other psycho beer people and have had, what many would say, some of the best beer from the best craft breweries in the world. It's a fun (and expensive) hobby (along with home brewing).

In order to appreciate the great beer, you've had to have some bad and parties while Undergrad at PSU definitely provided a lot of shit beer, although Yeungling was great for PA party beer. Genesee (specifically cream ale) Schlitz (makes ya shitz) and Jacob's Ladder (to crawl down a dark hole), are three that stand out as regrettable ingestions.
Oh I'm aware, doesn't mean I like it or I will pay it often. The overpriced 4 pack is way more prevalent back here on the east coast, although Ballast Point began pushing the $15 six pack of bottles as a forerunner to this trend about 7-8 years ago.

That local brewery near my house is as high as I'll pay, at $12 for 4 16 ounce cans. I'm not cheap at all, I'm stubborn. There's so many good options in the craft beer world, that I don't need to feel like I'm being gouged. Plus most of the styles that are overpriced aren't my speed anyway. I don't do fruity or barleywines or triple IPAs etc. Worst case, I can survive on Sierra Nevada or Two Roads for $10 a six pack.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I've actaully gone back the other way. So many breweries now in the US competing for space in the Craft market, that too many of them either just dump in a bunch of hops to cover bad beer, or rely on other 'gimmick' add-ins, like chocolate nibs, coffee, peanut butter, skittles, fruits, etc...

Just got tired of having 10 different beers and only being able to stomach maybe two of them.

I'm pretty much just drinking well made German, Belgian, and Czech beers. give me Ayinger, Augustiner, or Westmalle.
I feel like the craft beer explosion has forced - or maybe made it easier for - regular brands to up their game. Fair?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad