OT: The Beer Thread

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Not sure if this was already mentioned in this thread but for all you pilsner fans, Prima Pils from Victory Brewing in PA is another excellent choice.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Just had Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis Hefeweizen for the first time ever, wow...great stuff...on the other end I was in Atlanta last week and tried this HopLanta beer...most vile thing I ever tasted...so bitter I don't see how anyone could drink it.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Just had Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis Hefeweizen for the first time ever, wow...great stuff...on the other end I was in Atlanta last week and tried this HopLanta beer...most vile thing I ever tasted...so bitter I don't see how anyone could drink it.

Only 50 IBU's. There are lots of IPA's that are almost twice as bitter. :) You probably wouldn't like those. :laugh:

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
Yes, the 120 is, but like any novelty, nice to try once...lol.

I'm also a huge dogfish guy....love the 90 minute, the Sixty-one...pretty much everything actually...lol...that being said, bought a 4 pack of the 120 minute while visiting my parents this weekend on the Island. Was actually a pretty good deal, as I've seen them for 20 bucks a bottle in the past. 50 bucks for the 4 pack, glad I also bought some victory Dirtwolf. The 120 minute is heavy, thick, with a crazy alcohol after taste. That stuff is strong! Not a very pleasant experience.

BKIsles

Jan 22, 2013
A lot of good stuff mentioned, here are a few good locals I've been drinking:

Two Roads, Road 2 Ruin IPA
Keegan Ales, Hurricane Kitty
Capt. Lawrence, Liquid Gold/Xtra Gold
Kelso, Nut Brown Lager (actually had this at NVMC in '13)
Roscoe Beer Co., Trout Town American Amber

All Bluepoint and Brooklyn Brewery stuff is good, personal favorites are Bluepoint's Oktoberfest and BK's East India Pale Ale.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
dusting this thread off because it's getting to be stout/porter season (my favorite)! and I've had some good ones recently!

These are all the same type of recipe, if you find any of these you must try:

Westbrook Mexican Cake
Clown Shoes Chocolate Sombrero
Stone (Collaboration) Xocoveza Mocha Stout

All three of the above are Stouts with a combination of Chocolate/Coffee/Vanilla/Cinnamon/Chile Peppers. All are delicious

Southern Tier Warlock is very nice. Like their Pumking but a stout.

Went on a trip to Vermont had a bunch of different Hill Farmstead (whatever they make is good) Had:

Everett, Edward, Nordic Saison, What is Enlightenment?, James, Amarillo, Dorothy. (Various types of brews there, try them all!)

Also Lawson Finest Liquids Sip of Sunshine. (IPA)

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I just been reading through this last month or so for ideas. I work at a bar and I started with some crafts and IPA's. Here is what we have now (We started with the usual Bud, Bud Lite, Coors Lite, Heineken, Corona, and Stella)

Blue Point Toasted
Blue Point Blueberry
Fat Jack Pumpkin
Great South Bay Blood Orange
Great South Bay Massive IPA
Dog Fish Head Midas Touch (9% alcohol)
21st Amendment IPA
Brooklyn October
Sam October
Angry Orchid Apple

Also had
Rebel IPA
McKenzies Pumpkin

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
dusting this thread off because it's getting to be stout/porter season (my favorite)! and I've had some good ones recently!

These are all the same type of recipe, if you find any of these you must try:

Westbrook Mexican Cake
Clown Shoes Chocolate Sombrero
Stone (Collaboration) Xocoveza Mocha Stout

All three of the above are Stouts with a combination of Chocolate/Coffee/Vanilla/Cinnamon/Chile Peppers. All are delicious

Southern Tier Warlock is very nice. Like their Pumking but a stout.

Went on a trip to Vermont had a bunch of different Hill Farmstead (whatever they make is good) Had:

Everett, Edward, Nordic Saison, What is Enlightenment?, James, Amarillo, Dorothy. (Various types of brews there, try them all!)

Also Lawson Finest Liquids Sip of Sunshine. (IPA)

I got 1 for you...

Brooklyn Black OPS

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I got 1 for you...

Brooklyn Black OPS

Black Ops is really good I like the Brooklyn Cuvee Noir even better. Their Whole BQE Series is excellent

I just been reading through this last month or so for ideas. I work at a bar and I started with some crafts and IPA's. Here is what we have now (We started with the usual Bud, Bud Lite, Coors Lite, Heineken, Corona, and Stella)

Blue Point Toasted
Blue Point Blueberry
Fat Jack Pumpkin
Dog Fish Head Midas Touch (9% alcohol)
21st Amendment IPA
Brooklyn October
Sam October
Angry Orchid Apple

Also had
Rebel IPA
McKenzies Pumpkin

Nice! Most of the beers I post are pretty pricey, somewhat difficult to find (especially kegs) and high ABV (not every ones cup of tea).

But, if you manage a bar, here's a few brews that are really good, fairly easy to find (even kegs for your taps), and cheap enough that you can put a nice markup on and still sell really well....

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale (to me this is the go to pumpkin beer above all else (except Southern Tier Pumking).

Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro Really solid stout and fairly affordable its only 6% ABV so its easy to drink. I think it has a great flavor

Troegenator double bock (By Troegs) Another really great beer, 8%ABV but very drinkable (dangerously so). Great for anyone thats a fan of Doppelbocks.

One From South Hampton is pretty good the double white ale. Not sure how easy it is to get kegs, bot bottles are easy to find from most distributors.

I'll try and think of some other pretty affordable beers...

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
GSB is doing Bay Shore proud :banana: See if you can get some of their Splashing Pumpkin in there as well, I'm not a pumpkin beer guy myself but it's supposed to be outstanding.

Here's one some of you might find entertaining: this weekend I was cleaning out my storage unit and found a few bottles of IPA I brewed ~7 years ago, which has been aging at room temperature since it was bottled. Should I take the challenge and crack one open? :laugh:

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
If anyone has time on a Friday night, or Saturday/Sunday afternoon, go to Brooklyn Brewery for a tour and their seasonal beers. 5 beer tokens for $20 and you'll be a happy camper. One of my favorite spots.

Also, Barrier Brewing Co. in Oceanside is a cool divey microbrewery with $2-$5 beers, free popcorn, and good, cheap grub from the food truck outside.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Bumping to share this with my Long Island friends: Sixpoint OTIS is on tap at Pequa Beverage. Grab a growler (I think they charged five bucks) and GO GET THIS BEER! It's an Oatmeal stout, but subtle like Wolaver's, not sweet and heavy like Founder's Breakfast Stout. It's my favorite beer, so I thought this was worth a heads up and bump.

They also seem to have really upped their game over there. All Island is still probably my favorite, but Pequa has a lot more interesting stuff than they did when I started visiting a little under a year ago.

Do you guys have favorite beer distributors you'd care to share?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Went a local bar in downtown Minneapolis. They had FIFTY taps. Every single one was a local, Minnesota brew. This would have been unimaginable only a few years ago. We are living in the golden age of beer. Makes travelling a lot more fun too!

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Beer? How common. If ya feel rich one night, give this a try, if you can find it. no shots, Sip it... you'll be impressed.

la-dd-food-lovers-valentines-day-gift-guide-20-003

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Beer? How common. If ya feel rich one night, give this a try, if you can find it. no shots, Sip it... you'll be impressed.

la-dd-food-lovers-valentines-day-gift-guide-20-003

It's not either/or...it's first/second.

And I second Doshell's comment.

EDIT: One of Oprah's favorite things? Did Martha Stewart Living not have any good tequila recommendations?

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Forgot about this thread. We missed out on talking about all of the decent seasonal Christmas/Winter beers that were out.

My favs this year were the Delirium Noel, Weyebacher Merry Monks, and Troegs Mad Elf.

Special mention goes to the Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Victory is an excellent brewery. I'm drinking a HopDevil right now.

One year later, but victory has some fantastic beers. There 24 mix pack is available at Costco right now. Totally worth it.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Any beer which is more than my Casa is a waste...

and NO,,, I don't watch Oprah, but she has good taste in Tequila,

You heathens...

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
Bumping to share this with my Long Island friends: Sixpoint OTIS is on tap at Pequa Beverage. Grab a growler (I think they charged five bucks) and GO GET THIS BEER! It's an Oatmeal stout, but subtle like Wolaver's, not sweet and heavy like Founder's Breakfast Stout. It's my favorite beer, so I thought this was worth a heads up and bump.

They also seem to have really upped their game over there. All Island is still probably my favorite, but Pequa has a lot more interesting stuff than they did when I started visiting a little under a year ago.

Do you guys have favorite beer distributors you'd care to share?

You mean the one on Merrick Road by Smokin Al's? Never been impressed with that place, but I'll have to start checking it out again.

Best place I've been to for selection is Syosset Beverage. Small store from the outside but it's got tons of stuff.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
One year later, but victory has some fantastic beers. There 24 mix pack is available at Costco right now. Totally worth it.

Classic good news/bad news for me.

Good news: I live 20 minutes from Victory's home and can eat at the restaurant at the brewery, have freshly-made beer and fill a growler too.

Bad news: I'd give up a body part to be able to buy beer at my local Costco. But this is PA, so that's not possible....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad