OT: The Beer Thread

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
What does everyone here like to drink? Always looking to taste some new craft brews. Lately I've been into Ballast Point out of San Diego. They make some delicious stuff. Their Sculpin IPA in particular is great. Hop Slam from Bell's Brewing is another good one.

Living here in Minnesota, Surly makes some damn fine ales. Not sure if they distribute out East but find it if you can. The Furious is my fave.

So let's here it! What beers y'all into?

Cavonnier

Apr 23, 2013
Maine
English-style pale ales, ESBs, witbiers, dubbels, quadruples, porters, and (non-imperial) stouts for me. A mix of light and dark. Anchor Steam Beer is a regular in my fridge. I don't completely avoid them, but I'm much less fond of American-style pale ales and IPAs than most American beer snobs.

The beer selection at the Coliseum is horrible. It's a bunch of macros and faux micros. That said, it's probably a good thing I have less temptation to buy beer when I go to games. It saves me money.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I have to admit, the whole beer scene has gotten way too complicated for me, especially since I've switched over to wine for the most part (it's much easier on my system). That said, I'm going to DSK (DieStammKneipe) in Fort Greene tonight, so I'll happily take suggestions!

http://dsk-brooklyn.com/menu/

Great timing.

gramatanboy

Aug 2, 2005
Westport
If you are able to get them in your state try any of the Alaskan Brewing Company Beers--used to be featured in the background of the bar scenes in "Northern Exposure" and any of the Pike Place Brewery beers from Seattle. I lived in Seattle in the early to mid 1990's just as the microbrewery craze was taking hold and there were many great beers to drink. Rogue Brewery in Oregon also produces great beers and if you are in Connecticut try a small brewery called the New England Brewery-great beers as well!! In fact, there are so many more that we could have a whole boards just dedicated to microbrews!! :handclap:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
English-style pale ales, ESBs, witbiers, dubbels, quadruples, porters, and (non-imperial) stouts for me. A mix of light and dark. Anchor Steam Beer is a regular in my fridge. I don't completely avoid them, but I'm much less fond of American-style pale ales and IPAs than most American beer snobs.

The beer selection at the Coliseum is horrible. It's a bunch of macros and faux micros. That said, it's probably a good thing I have less temptation to buy beer when I go to games. It saves me money.

Anchor has a great Christmas beer they release every season. It's a different brew each time but always a delicious winter warmer. And cool bottle too (magnum).

We were talking about pilsners earlier and some of my American faves are:

Mama's Little Yella Pils from Oskar Blues
Czech Pils from Lagunitas
Summit Pilsner from Summit Brewing

Of course nothing beats a Pilsner Urquell. :)

Anyone dig Founders new All Day IPA? Excellent "session" beer as it is low alcohol content (under 5% I believe) but still has enough body and flavor

It is a wonderful time to be a beer drinker in this country. :)

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I have to admit, the whole beer scene has gotten way too complicated for me, especially since I've switched over to wine for the most part (it's much easier on my system). That said, I'm going to DSK (DieStammKneipe) in Fort Greene tonight, so I'll happily take suggestions!

http://dsk-brooklyn.com/menu/

Great timing.

Looking at that menu, I'd have 3 Jevers with 2 or 3 sticks of Landjaeger and then go from there. :laugh: Man, I haven't had a tap Jever in a long time. Probably when I still lived in NYC - at Rolf's on 2nd Ave...

Ask them if they have any Rauchbier (smoked beer). I don't really enjoy it but it is certainly unique and a must try at some point.

Enjoy.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Anchor has a great Christmas beer they release every season. It's a different brew each time but always a delicious winter warmer. And cool bottle too (magnum).

We were talking about pilsners earlier and some of my American faves are:

Mama's Little Yella Pils from Oskar Blues
Czech Pils from Lagunitas
Summit Pilsner from Summit Brewing

Of course nothing beats a Pilsner Urquell. :)

Anyone dig Founders new All Day IPA? Excellent "session" beer as it is low alcohol content (under 5% I believe) but still has enough body and flavor

It is a wonderful time to be a beer drinker in this country. :)

Thanks for starting this thread!

I have not had the Summit, but I just had the Lagunitas the other day and have also had the Oskar Blues MLYPils. I really like them both a lot. I have not had a Pilsner Urquell in forever, so I will have to remedy that soon.

And I just had the Founders All Day a couple of weeks ago for the first time, and it is definitely a great session beer for the reasons you stated.

I tend to like good examples of almost any kind of beer. As someone else mentioned, it seems like a lot of people are all about IPAs. But I really like Belgians, English beers (had a great draft Fullers ESB recently), sours, etc.. Love stouts of all kinds. I do like IPAs, but tend to favor the ones that have something balancing out the hops flavor (Dogfish Head Burton Baton Imperial IPA, as an example of one I really enjoyed a lot).

I tend to drink beers seasonally. So I'll definitely be going more towards Pilsners, Hefeweizens, etc. as it's getting warmer. I had a draft Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen a while back, and it was one of the best beers I've ever had.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
What does everyone here like to drink? Always looking to taste some new craft brews. Lately I've been into Ballast Point out of San Diego. They make some delicious stuff. Their Sculpin IPA in particular is great. Hop Slam from Bell's Brewing is another good one.

Living here in Minnesota, Surly makes some damn fine ales. Not sure if they distribute out East but find it if you can. The Furious is my fave.

So let's here it! What beers y'all into?

Just went to an event for Founders and everything was fantastic. A few rare ones and I'm not sure why they don't make them regularly, it was that good.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Just went to an event for Founders and everything was fantastic. A few rare ones and I'm not sure why they don't make them regularly, it was that good.

They make very high quality beers. The Breakfast Stout is phenomenal. Great winter beer.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Thanks for starting this thread!

I have not had the Summit, but I just had the Lagunitas the other day and have also had the Oskar Blues MLYPils. I really like them both a lot. I have not had a Pilsner Urquell in forever, so I will have to remedy that soon.

And I just had the Founders All Day a couple of weeks ago for the first time, and it is definitely a great session beer for the reasons you stated.

I tend to like good examples of almost any kind of beer. As someone else mentioned, it seems like a lot of people are all about IPAs. But I really like Belgians, English beers (had a great draft Fullers ESB recently), sours, etc.. Love stouts of all kinds. I do like IPAs, but tend to favor the ones that have something balancing out the hops flavor (Dogfish Head Burton Baton Imperial IPA, as an example of one I really enjoyed a lot).

I tend to drink beers seasonally. So I'll definitely be going more towards Pilsners, Hefeweizens, etc. as it's getting warmer. I had a draft Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen a while back, and it was one of the best beers I've ever had.

Yeah, I hear ya on drinking seasonal beers. There's nothing like that first sip of a hefeweizen on the first hot summer day. Or the first sip of a brown ale by the fire on the first chilly autumn evening.

Sam Adams Summer is a fun beer to drink. Dangerous whenever that is in my kegerator and it's a hot weekend. :D

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
I love IPAs

Stone IPA
Lagunitas IPA
Firestone Walker Union Jack
Ninaski Trucerahops Double IPA
Bell's Two Hearted Ale

...are some of my favorites

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Looking at that menu, I'd have 3 Jevers with 2 or 3 sticks of Landjaeger and then go from there. :laugh: Man, I haven't had a tap Jever in a long time. Probably when I still lived in NYC - at Rolf's on 2nd Ave...

Ask them if they have any Rauchbier (smoked beer). I don't really enjoy it but it is certainly unique and a must try at some point.

Enjoy.

I will try a Jever and toast to your health.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
I just started drinking stuff from the Fordham Brewery and RJ Rockers. A lot of good beers. The Helles Lager from Fordham is one of my new favorites.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
They make very high quality beers. The Breakfast Stout is phenomenal. Great winter beer.

breakfast stout is good but I've had better. I think backwoods ******* is probably my favorite from them, but then again I love bourbon barrel aged beers.

IM a stout guy, alesmith speedway stout is probably the best I've had.... some other stouts:

evil twin imperial biscotti break
southern tier choklat or mokah
evil twin even more Jesus
Samuel Smith (any of them)
evil twin yin
left hand milk stout nitro

some ipa I like are
ghandi bot by new England brewing
alesmith ipa
omnipollo Nebuchadnezzar
omnipollo fatamorgana
lunch by Maine beer Co
jai alai by cigar city
nugget nectar by troegs
westbrook ipa
evil twin Molotov cocktail

some Belgians

la fin du monde by unibroue
allagash four ale
delirium tremens
trappistes rochefort 10

that's off the top of my head.... there's some good porters too maybe in another post..... great thread.

DktrFaustus

Dec 22, 2011
brooklyn
thumb_600.jpg

my fridge is not complete without it. still have to try the barrel-aged someday.

north coast in general is ace

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Wow. I don't drink much but after readi g this short thread I realized how little I know about beer lol

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I love IPAs

Stone IPA
Lagunitas IPA
Firestone Walker Union Jack
Ninaski Trucerahops Double IPA
Bell's Two Hearted Ale

...are some of my favorites

Mmm.. sounds like you'd love it here in Southern California :)

bvon44

Jul 3, 2006
Long Island
Wow. I don't drink much but after readi g this short thread I realized how little I know about beer lol

Me too, the most different thing I drink is the Framboise Lambic from Belgium made from raspberries, really good refreshing beer that really doesn't taste anything like beer at all, also comes in Apple, Peach, and Cherry.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
I am sorry but I am going to be pretty boring, but Blue Moon is pretty good. ( I am not a big beer guy either)

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Any opinions on best bang-for-your-buck beers/breweries? Here are some that come to mind for me (and not sure to what extent a couple of these might be lower-priced because they're nearby):

Troegs
Sierra Nevada
Trader Joe's annual ales (best deal anywhere)
Stockyard Stout (at Trader Joe's = close second to their annual ale for best deal)
Mission Street at Trader Joe's (brewed by Firestone Walker)
Sly Fox (very cheap b/c nearby and no distributors?)
Victory (a bit more than the others, but great value probably b/c local)
Ballantine's XXX Ale (a guilty pleasure every summer - what can I say?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad