OT: ~The Beer, Spirits, & Nightlife Thread V5~ Time For Good Beer

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
There's a handful of pale ales I like such as Burning River, but never got into the IPA craze.

I think after a while of microbrews focusing so much on them, people are diversifying more the past few years which has been great for me.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Went to Southern Tier yesterday. Place was packed on a Sunday afternoon. They were out of several beers, but the bar tender said they were getting more today. We were able to try a few beers we haven't had before including Pittsburgh Speed Date, Cold Press Coffee Pumking, and Imperial Ginger. They also have 5 Victory beers on tap.

Nice atmosphere, and it will be great when they get the outdoor beer garden finished for spring/summer. The food also looked good, but we had eaten at Tako, which I would recommend if you haven't tried it yet.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Went to Southern Tier yesterday. Place was packed on a Sunday afternoon. They were out of several beers, but the bar tender said they were getting more today. We were able to try a few beers we haven't had before including Pittsburgh Speed Date, Cold Press Coffee Pumking, and Imperial Ginger. They also have 5 Victory beers on tap.

Nice atmosphere, and it will be great when they get the outdoor beer garden finished for spring/summer. The food also looked good, but we had eaten at Tako, which I would recommend if you haven't tried it yet.

Did you try the cold press coffee Pumking? That sounds amazing.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
If you like Two Hearted, then you like IPAs :laugh:

I can't imagine how one can like that one and not other non double or Imperial IPAs.

Every palate is different though, so who knows haha.

I just checked Untappd as to when I had it. It was during a happy hour after other beers, so maybe that skewed my tastes. :laugh:

And looking at the other ratings, it appears that Sours, IPAs, and Pale Ales are my least favorites.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Did you try the cold press coffee Pumking? That sounds amazing.

Yes, I thought it was very good, I'm a fan of coffee beers. The Pittsburgh Speed Date was very good too, it's a spiced brown ale that is a collaboration between Southern Tier and multiple local breweries. They have more Pittsburgh exclusive brewed beers on the way as well.

Taking into account that a few beers were tapped, they had 25 taps for Southern Tier and 5 for Victory beers.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
If you like Two Hearted, then you like IPAs :laugh:

I can't imagine how one can like that one and not other non double or Imperial IPAs.

Every palate is different though, so who knows haha.

I know people that hate IPA's but like Two Hearted, especially if it's on tap. It definitely has a well balanced malt and citrus taste to go along with the hops. So it doesn't seem to have such an overwhelming bitter taste for non IPA fans, I think.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Grabbed this today at the LCBO.

I've never had Appleton Estate before, so for $40 I figured what the hell...why not???

dfxclf.jpg

mynameisnick4

Jan 18, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have a feeling I'll be going there prior to the Pens game at Heinz Field.
Better plan on getting there about 3 hours before the games starts. That place is going to be packed for awhile, not to mention before a game at Heinz Field. Everything on the North Shore is a **** show before Steelers/Pitt games (at least from my experiences.)

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Better plan on getting there about 3 hours before the games starts. That place is going to be packed for awhile, not to mention before a game at Heinz Field. Everything on the North Shore is a **** show before Steelers/Pitt games (at least from my experiences.)

Oh, I guess you don't know me and my relationship with drinking.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Grabbed this today at the LCBO.

I've never had Appleton Estate before, so for $40 I figured what the hell...why not???

dfxclf.jpg

A great rum, I'd call it a bourbon drinker's rum as it is not as sweet as others, very oaky and spicy, flavor packed. The aroma is so good, you'll find yourself just spinning it in the glass, putting your nose in and taking in deep breaths. lol

--Also, their 21 year rum is pure absurdity. 11/10.

Last edited:

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
Okay gang, please don't make fun of me.
I am almost 22 and just started drinking alcohol like a month ago. I can put down Angry Orchards like it is my job. Also had a grapefruit cider that I loved. So I am thinking I really like ciders, does anyone have any recs? Also I want to get into beers or IPAs but I am very picky. Somebody take on an alcohol apprentince.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
I am almost 22 and just started drinking alcohol like a month ago. I can put down Angry Orchards like it is my job. Also had a grapefruit cider that I loved. So I am thinking I really like ciders, does anyone have any recs? Also I want to get into beers or IPAs but I am very picky. Somebody take on an alcohol apprentince.

I know some ciders from the Pacific NW that are decent, but I am far from an expert.

Where do you live?

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada

Strongbow is pretty good.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

If you are in Pittsburgh, you have to try Arsenal Cider in Lawrenceville. They are also in Sorgel's Farm in Cranberry. I do not like cider at all, but my gf liked Angry Orchard, too. She tried Arsenal... can't stop loving it. I tried a few glasses and it's even good to me. It's incredible.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Woodchuck is pretty decent, you should be able to get it there. I've had a couple different McKenzie's ciders that were good too.

Was gonna stop and fill a growler at Southern Tier today, but I ended up finding a 4 pack of Terrapin's Single Origin Coffee Brown Ale at Giant Eagle. Each bottle in the pack is made with a different type of coffee.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If anyone likes sours.. Draii Laag is killing it. Based out of Millvale, if im not mistaken. Their sours are ****ing excellent. Every single one.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
If anyone likes sours.. Draii Laag is killing it. Based out of Millvale, if im not mistaken. Their sours are ****ing excellent. Every single one.

I love me some sours. I'll have to check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad