OT: ~The Beer, Spirits, & Nightlife Thread V5~ Time For Good Beer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
If anyone likes sours.. Draii Laag is killing it. Based out of Millvale, if im not mistaken. Their sours are ****ing excellent. Every single one.

Have you been to their tap house? I've had a few Belgians from them on tap, but haven't had any of their sours. I might have to take a drive out there, some of the beers on their site sound awesome.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
^^ I have not. I've been getting them at Butterjoint. Place has awesome burgers and a small yet fun selection of beer.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I've been meaning to hit up Butterjoint. It's pretty much down the street from me.

Also, I thought you lived near Robinson...

I do, but I love Butterjoint. Probably my favorite place to eat in Pittsburgh. The bartenders know their stuff. Especially when you establish a weekly relationship, they know what you drink and hook you up. Very simple place but down right awesome.

Sometimes my gf and I will go there just for a beverage because the bartenders are great. Expensive though.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Oh man so jealous

This is always a good one, but this might be the best yet. More than a dozen beers from the Ale Apothecary is just nuts.

I'm going to the VIP session on Friday. Nothing like leaving work super early to go drink beer.

JimsDoors

May 11, 2010
Tri-State County
Okay gang, please don't make fun of me.
I am almost 22 and just started drinking alcohol like a month ago. I can put down Angry Orchards like it is my job. Also had a grapefruit cider that I loved. So I am thinking I really like ciders, does anyone have any recs? Also I want to get into beers or IPAs but I am very picky. Somebody take on an alcohol apprentince.
Since the beer laws have changed in PA, I'm assuming you'll now find places that sell single bottles of various types. Go that route and see what you like w/o having to buy the whole 4 or 6 pack. Just try to remember to look for a "born on" or a "enjoy by" date when doing singles.

If you like grapefruit and have extra $$$ to spend,($16.99 for me) check this stuff out. Suppose to be great, but not sure if you get it in your area??

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/199/89174/

My Brother-in-law drinks the hell out of Leinenkugel's, "Summer Shandy" which is a lemonade flavor, but think it's only sold during the summer...not sure though.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Shandies, or Radlers, are too sweet for me to drink other than on the hottest of days, while outside, on a boat. They're beercoolers. But a lot of people drink them all the time.

I'd rather have a good fruit beer, tbh, like a Founders Rubaeus.

On the subject of Ballast Point's Sculpins, I bought a sixer of the Habanero Sculpin a few weeks back. lol, it has to be tried to be believed. It's like heartburn in a bottle. Tastes pretty good though. More flavorful than other chili pepper beers I've had.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Shandies, or Radlers, are too sweet for me to drink other than on the hottest of days, while outside, on a boat. They're beercoolers. But a lot of people drink them all the time.

I'd rather have a good fruit beer, tbh, like a Founders Rubaeus.

On the subject of Ballast Point's Sculpins, I bought a sixer of the Habanero Sculpin a few weeks back. lol, it has to be tried to be believed. It's like heartburn in a bottle. Tastes pretty good though. More flavorful than other chili pepper beers I've had.

Rubaeus is delicious. Have you by chance tried Founders Frootwood? I had it a few weeks ago, and it was pretty enjoyable.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Since the beer laws have changed in PA, I'm assuming you'll now find places that sell single bottles of various types. Go that route and see what you like w/o having to buy the whole 4 or 6 pack. Just try to remember to look for a "born on" or a "enjoy by" date when doing singles.

If you like grapefruit and have extra $$$ to spend,($16.99 for me) check this stuff out. Suppose to be great, but not sure if you get it in your area??

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/199/89174/

My Brother-in-law drinks the hell out of Leinenkugel's, "Summer Shandy" which is a lemonade flavor, but think it's only sold during the summer...not sure though.

You need to try this in the summer if you like "fruity" type of beers. Hell, everyone needs to try this. So refreshing on a hot summer day.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14879/59548/

Or this if you are ever in Ohio:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/36487/232839/

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Nice! Where else did you visit on your trip out here?

I went to Toronado for my allotment of Pliny. Great beer bar but the atmosphere of the bar is a bit reminiscent of the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld.

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/san...bartenders-detail-how-to-not-****-them-off-sf

As far as breweries, we just visited Russian River and Anchor Brewing Co. My wife, 1 year old son, and I made a trip to Phoenix to visit family and extended the trip to San Francisco and Sonoma/Napa area for about a week. We did a few winery tours as well, but looked for family friendly, mostly outdoor tours for our son. We toured Benzinger, Frog's Leap, and Sterling (mostly for that tram ride with the views) and some random stop I can't recall but the wine wasn't very good (probably why I don't remember).

In San Francisco we stayed in the mission district. Didn't really have a ton of plans other than eating lots of food, walking around, and drinking. Mission accomplished.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Great atmosphere. Maybe a little too hipster, but ok. Nice family vibe. Everyone is down to earth. Not a big cider fan but my gf loves it.

Which ones did you try?

Tried blue apple, raspberry, blackberry, and grape. Got a growler of the blackberry.

Then we went to Roasted on Butler and made some friends. And then we went to Grist House. That was my first time there. It. Is. Awesome!

And then the night ended at a house party in Bloomfield. Stopped by Niko's to get a six pack for the party.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Got some Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Blackberry Porter. Very good beer, not an overload of bourbon but a nice flavor with the blackberry mixed in. I like blackberries a lot, and I had to try since I don't see a ton of beer with blackberry.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
The list of beer at the Farmhouse Fest has been released. Seven a piece from de Garde and Ale Apothecary is amazing. Not to mention a bunch of stuff from The Commons, pFriem, Holy Mountain and Logsdon. Saturday morning might be a bit rough. :cheers:

Farmhouse Festival List of Beers

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Stopped by Hitchhiker brewery in Mt Lebo. Thought it was ok. They had a decent sour on top, so those are always a must-try. Their IPAs/Stouts were good, but nothing i'd go crazy about on a weekly basis.

I would say it's a must-try at least once. Good vibe, especially on a nice day.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
I made it out to Draai Laag and picked up a few bottles. Very easy to get to, literally right off the Milvale exit on 28. Nice outdoor area too for the spring/summer.

Grabbed bottles of their Winter Goedenacht and Grimace.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->