May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Picked up this one yesterday.
Avery-PumpKYn-960x696.jpg

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Packs and Dogs had the Southern Tier Warlock for 7 bucks tonight. Usually like 12-14. Picked a couple up. I did have a Weyerbacher pumpkin stout Wednesday that was delicious.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
Packs and Dogs had the Southern Tier Warlock for 7 bucks tonight. Usually like 12-14. Picked a couple up. I did have a Weyerbacher pumpkin stout Wednesday that was delicious.

Since it's Halloween.

I am drinking Crown Valley Imperial Pumpkin Smash (Stout):
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/19832/98115/

and, it's the best pumpkin beer I have ever had. It's MUCH better than even Southern Tier Pumpking, actually.

Unfortunatly, it's probably not going to be available to anyone in Pittsburgh (the only reason I have it is because I have St. Louis connections - ie, family). But if you happen to see a bottle, snag it.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Since it's Halloween.

and, it's the best pumpkin beer I have ever had. It's MUCH better than even Southern Tier Pumpking, actually.

Unfortunatly, it's probably not going to be available to anyone in Pittsburgh (the only reason I have it is because I have St. Louis connections - ie, family). But if you happen to see a bottle, snag it.

Yeah it was kind of disappointing. The Weyerbacher was much better. Still it's Halloween and it was half price so why not?

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Since it's Halloween.

I've got a 6 pack from last year aged and bought a fresh 4 pack this year. Love that stuff. Almost bought more yesterday, there were 2 4 packs left, but 10 bottles is enough. It's a big beer.

Pumking is a different style altogether, though, it's an imperial ale, rather than an imperial stout. Southern Tier's Warlock is the comparable brew.

Mister Hockey

Mar 4, 2004
Washington, Pa
Anyone see any Goose Island bourbon stout around the Pittsburgh area?

When KBS comes out, will they have it in Giant Eagles do you think? This is a must try on my list.

Yes, The West End Bottle Shop in Washington, Pa sells all the Goose Island products. They have the Goose Island Flight Club. Every time you purchase a draft or bottle, you get points for keychains, shirts and glasses. The grand prize is a really cool cooler.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Weyerbacher makes a pumpkin stout?

Southern Tier's Warlock is excellent.

Yes they do & it was awesome. I had it a bar last Wednesday on South Side.

I love the Southern Tier Creme Brulee & 2X IPA but was meh on the warlock. Not saying it was bad but just not great.

Last edited:

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
I've got a 6 pack from last year aged and bought a fresh 4 pack this year. Love that stuff. Almost bought more yesterday, there were 2 4 packs left, but 10 bottles is enough. It's a big beer.

Pumking is a different style altogether, though, it's an imperial ale, rather than an imperial stout. Southern Tier's Warlock is the comparable brew.

That's what I meant to say - Warlock. Oops.
It's good stuff for sure.

Weyerbacher makes a pumpkin stout?

Nope. They make a Pumpkin ale (like pumpking).

Well, technically a stout is an ale; stouts are made with ale yeast. So I should say Pumpkin pale ale.

Last edited:

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Christmas and winter seasonals are out in full force. I wasn't excited for them being out so early at first, but by the time I took a walk around the beer section at Market District I just wanted to load up a cart.

Grabbed a bottle of Sam Adam's Merry Maker Gingerbread Stout.

I found this beer online tonight that I really want to try, but they sadly only distribute to Virginia and D.C.

It is the Bourbon GBS (Gingerbread Stout) by Hardywood Park Craft Brewery. They also have a regular Gingerbread stout that apparently is really good as well.

Last edited:

DockEllisExperience

Feb 1, 2007
Pittsburgh
Wow. Just found a few that I was looking for. That really helps.

Are you buying online? Do they ship to you or to your local store?

Yeah, online.

You can do either, but I like shipping to the store. The UPS guy makes you sign for it at home so if you aren't there, they aren't leaving it. You can give them someone else's name if you aren't the one picking up from the store too.

Let me know what you scored, always looking for new whiskeys to try.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Christmas and winter seasonals are out in full force. I wasn't excited for them being out so early at first, but by the time I took a walk around the beer section at Market District I just wanted to load up a cart.

Grabbed a bottle of Sam Adam's Merry Maker Gingerbread Stout.

I found this beer online tonight that I really want to try, but they sadly only distribute to Virginia and D.C.

It is the Bourbon GBS (Gingerbread Stout) by Hardywood Park Craft Brewery. They also have a regular Gingerbread stout that apparently is really good as well.

I have 2 of the SA Gingerbread Stouts from 2013 aged this past year, interested to see how it fares after a year.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Laphroaig has too much smoky peat for my taste, smells overwhelmingly like the marinade for beef jerky and I just can't get past that. Feel like I need to chase it with mouthwash. I like Oban, lighter smoke and peat character, but still very flavorful.

Been drinking some Bulleit bourbon lately, not bad at all.

Also got into some Pike Creek Canadian Whisky, very smooth, very flavor rich.

Bought some Alaskan Smoked Salmon Vodka as a joke, but have made some pretty solid bloody marys with it. Very strong on the salmon flavor, have to cut it with a shot of regular vodka to mellow it out.

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Picked up
Kirk and Sweeney 12 year old aged rum.
kirk-and-sweeney-rum.jpg

Just poured a small glass. Oh...this is damn nice. Incredibly smooth and delicious. I'll have to have some more later.

Forty Creek Canadian Whisky Gift Set
Forty%20Creek%20Brand%20VAP.jpg

I can't believe this is still so cheap, paid just under $17 for the gift pack. The highest rated Canadian Whisky, it's great. They should be charging double for what's in the bottle.

6 pk of Witches Brew'mmm Belgian Style Pumpkin Ale
Charleville+Pumpkin+Label.bmp

Put a bottle in the fridge, expecting good things.

While I was there, I noticed Bulleit Bourbon was on sale for $19...regularly $30...going to have to go back and pick up a bottle or two at that price.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I got me a giant bottle of Gentlemen Jack because I thought I got a bonus check from work. Turns out it was part of the pay I got for no longer receiving retirement benefits. Welp...

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Wish I could afford that stuff....

Trust me, I really can't "afford" it, either. Scotch is just a big hobby of mine. Those that I listed are really good value-for-money. Those two are $80 are better than a lot of bottlings @ $200

Just don't go out and waste your money on a $250 bottle of garbage like Johnnie Walker Blue and we'll be friends ;)

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
my current scotch is a doublewood balvenie

I used to really like Balvenie. I recently got in to heavy-peats and they've sort of fallen out of my favor. The Portwood 21 is a really good scotch. Little pricey for what it is, but it's a good one to get a dram of when you're out at a bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad