OT: ~The Beer and Nightlife Thread V4~ Bring On the Doppelbock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Hockey

Mar 4, 2004
Washington, Pa
I highly disagree with this. I'm not sure if you're in Pittsburgh, but if you are, let me know. The next time I get Heady Topper sent to me, I'll hook you up with a can. It's not even close how much better it is than the beers you listed.

I'm really big into the barrel aging scene when it comes to beers, especially bourbon barrel aged stouts. Goose Island releases their Bourbon County line tomorrow, and it sucks because these are some of my favorite beers and living in Pittsburgh we won't see any of their more limited stuff.

The West End Bottle Shop in Washington has the Goose Island Bourbon County line. They open at 11:00 am today. Call and reserve a bottle. They have one case and half of which is spoken for. I believe the price is $9.99 per bottle. I can't wait to try it. It got a 100 percent rating in the reader reviews on Beer Advocate.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I highly disagree with this. I'm not sure if you're in Pittsburgh, but if you are, let me know. The next time I get Heady Topper sent to me, I'll hook you up with a can. It's not even close how much better it is than the beers you listed.

I'm really big into the barrel aging scene when it comes to beers, especially bourbon barrel aged stouts. Goose Island releases their Bourbon County line tomorrow, and it sucks because these are some of my favorite beers and living in Pittsburgh we won't see any of their more limited stuff.

Oh, I've lived that world believe me. I've had my fill of Westvleteren 12 and many of the top 100 BA beers. Yes, they are good but it's the hype that I've grown tired of...

....but I will take you up on your offer, haha!

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I and my sister are home for the weekend and she brought her boyfriend, who is really into brewing. I really haven't spent significant time in Pittsburgh since I turned 18, so when he asked to go to a local brewery, I was kind of at a loss. Anyone have any good microbrewery recommendations?

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Honestly, I'm finding that hype as annoying as I did with the craft beer scene.

My conclusion: good ol' Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or a Dogfish 90 Min (insert your fav) are as good as any of the limited release, ultra hype BS beers.

And even more so in the bourbon world - there is a vast amount of GREAT stuff for under 36 bucks or so. As in, so good that only the highly discerning would really be able to know any better.

I've noticed this as well with the beer stuff. I have had a ton of different beers, and I'm finding more and more that the mid level priced stuff is just as good or better as the expensive stuff. This past week I spent $15 on an Oaked Aged Southern Tier Pumpking, because I like Pumpking a lot, and thought it would be awesome. Come to find out, the original is better and half the price.

The Heady Topper craze...idk, at this point I'd love to try one, but it can't possibly be as good as its being hyped to be. I'm in a local beer facebook group, and every day there are new posts about people trying heady topper, which isn't sold anywhere close to Rochester, and it's about a 4 hour drive to the border of Vermont. So not only are they paying the high prices just for the cans, they're driving a good distance just to get their hands on them.

I've wanted to get into whiskey for a bit now, but I'm finding it hard to decide where to start. I have always liked Makers, and in the past 6 or so months I have bought bottles of Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig, Grand Larceny(I think is the name, has a keyhole on the bottle), and Iron Smoke, which is a local distiller. I haven't tried the last 2 yet, but the first two were both ok. I liked the Craig better. Any recommendations on what else to try?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Honestly, I'm finding that hype as annoying as I did with the craft beer scene.

My conclusion: good ol' Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or a Dogfish 90 Min (insert your fav) are as good as any of the limited release, ultra hype BS beers.

And even more so in the bourbon world - there is a vast amount of GREAT stuff for under 36 bucks or so. As in, so good that only the highly discerning would really be able to know any better.

I hear ya. Some of the hype, and dollar amount that goes with some of the beers are a bit much.

My buddy has been to some of the craft beer events and had some ultra limited release craft beers, and found them nauseating.

I still love to explore the BA list, but won't go crazy with the dollar amount anymore.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I've noticed this as well with the beer stuff. I have had a ton of different beers, and I'm finding more and more that the mid level priced stuff is just as good or better as the expensive stuff. This past week I spent $15 on an Oaked Aged Southern Tier Pumpking, because I like Pumpking a lot, and thought it would be awesome. Come to find out, the original is better and half the price.

The Heady Topper craze...idk, at this point I'd love to try one, but it can't possibly be as good as its being hyped to be. I'm in a local beer facebook group, and every day there are new posts about people trying heady topper, which isn't sold anywhere close to Rochester, and it's about a 4 hour drive to the border of Vermont. So not only are they paying the high prices just for the cans, they're driving a good distance just to get their hands on them.

I've wanted to get into whiskey for a bit now, but I'm finding it hard to decide where to start. I have always liked Makers, and in the past 6 or so months I have bought bottles of Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig, Grand Larceny(I think is the name, has a keyhole on the bottle), and Iron Smoke, which is a local distiller. I haven't tried the last 2 yet, but the first two were both ok. I liked the Craig better. Any recommendations on what else to try?

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2012/05/ten-suggestions-for-bourbon-beginners.html

That's a pretty good place to start.

You can spend a few years just working through Buffalo Trace's offerings, look at the brands on the left side:

http://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/buffalo-trace

This site is good also and these lists are worth checking out:

http://www.breakingbourbon.com/best-20-dollar-bourbons.html
http://www.breakingbourbon.com/best-30-dollar-bourbons.html
http://www.breakingbourbon.com/best-40-dollar-bourbons.html

chuppa chupp

star gazing
Apr 14, 2009
somewhere out there
The West End Bottle Shop in Washington has the Goose Island Bourbon County line. They open at 11:00 am today. Call and reserve a bottle. They have one case and half of which is spoken for. I believe the price is $9.99 per bottle. I can't wait to try it. It got a 100 percent rating in the reader reviews on Beer Advocate.

Thanks for the look out. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to make it out there, but I appreciate the heads up.

It's an amazing beer. I've been kind of spoiled regarding Bourbon County over the years, so driving out to Washington for a bottle probably wouldn't be worth it for me, but it is absolutely one of the best beers that gets distribution, and 100% worth the drive if you never had it. Definitely a sipper, and I recommend maybe chilling it for only about 30 minutes or so before opening it up. Let me know what you think about it.

I and my sister are home for the weekend and she brought her boyfriend, who is really into brewing. I really haven't spent significant time in Pittsburgh since I turned 18, so when he asked to go to a local brewery, I was kind of at a loss. Anyone have any good microbrewery recommendations?

My favorite is Roundabout Brewery on Butler Street in Lawrenceville. Nothing too crazy or out of the norm, but they have the best IPA in the city by far.

Mister Hockey

Mar 4, 2004
Washington, Pa
The Goose Island Bourbon County Line is an amazing beer. It is sipper, which is fine by me. I split one yesterday with a fellow beer commissioner and took one home for future enjoyment.

member 51464

I remember getting a Nugget Nectar after years of this board praising it. Very disappointing.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
My favorite is Roundabout Brewery on Butler Street in Lawrenceville. Nothing too crazy or out of the norm, but they have the best IPA in the city by far.

I happened in there last Friday evening (back "home" for the holidays). Also visited Hop Farm and also Draai Laag in Millvale. Incredible the amount of craft brew choices. Ran out of time to get to Grist House (also Millvale).

Unlike most beer snob...afficianados, I generally don't care for IPAs. The Bourbon Barrel Porter(?) at Roundabout was tasty. Interesting Nut Brown at Hop Farm if you like that sort of thing.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
I finally was able to get some Dad's Hat Rye.

And it's good. Maybe not life changing, but it's good.
It's much sweeter than I was expecting - I don't drink a lot of rye, but I would expect it's presence to provide more spiciness.

It was very sweet; it finished very sweet. It tasted a lot like bourbon.

(I live in Indiana, so this isn't an easy whiskey for me to find)

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
I finally was able to get some Dad's Hat Rye.

And it's good. Maybe not life changing, but it's good.
It's much sweeter than I was expecting - I don't drink a lot of rye, but I would expect it's presence to provide more spiciness.

It was very sweet; it finished very sweet. It tasted a lot like bourbon.

(I live in Indiana, so this isn't an easy whiskey for me to find)

speaking of rye, last week i picked up a bottle of this:

df10_03_27_oldpot.jpg

i haven't tried Dad's Hat, but i've seen it around. Not sure that i'd be willing to pull the trigger on a rye that's sweeter than expected.

chuppa chupp

star gazing
Apr 14, 2009
somewhere out there
I happened in there last Friday evening (back "home" for the holidays). Also visited Hop Farm and also Draai Laag in Millvale. Incredible the amount of craft brew choices. Ran out of time to get to Grist House (also Millvale).

Unlike most beer snob...afficianados, I generally don't care for IPAs. The Bourbon Barrel Porter(?) at Roundabout was tasty. Interesting Nut Brown at Hop Farm if you like that sort of thing.

That's really funny that you were there last Friday evening, as I was this close to stopping in for a drink after dinner up in Bloomfield. How did you like Draai Laag? I read that they were tapping some new sour beers that they had aged. Never had any of their products, but I admire how they are attempting different things.

I had the Sweetest Thing Porter at a beer festival a few weeks ago at the East End Brewery. I remember liking it a lot.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That's really funny that you were there last Friday evening, as I was this close to stopping in for a drink after dinner up in Bloomfield. How did you like Draai Laag? I read that they were tapping some new sour beers that they had aged. Never had any of their products, but I admire how they are attempting different things.

I had the Sweetest Thing Porter at a beer festival a few weeks ago at the East End Brewery. I remember liking it a lot.

"Sweetest Thing" - had forgotten the name.

Draai Laag definitely has a creative approach. Not an IPA to be found, which was OK for me. Brewing focus is on the yeast, followed by blending and bending flavors. Hit and miss.

Wasn't thrilled with the choices they had when I was there, but that's a taste thing (me thing) and not an issue with the brewer. Had hoped to try the Ragnarok, ended up with the Haviken. Weird taste that grew on me. Would like to go back next time I'm in town and see what the choices are.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Had the Clown Shoes Pecan Pie Porter last week. Was actually really well balanced. Solid beer.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Browsed Market District in Robinson on my lunch and found Southern Tier Imperial Rum Barrel Aged Pumking. Probably try it during the Pens game tonight.

edit:

Drank it during the game. Tastes probably like how you would expect, Pumking with some hints of rum, vanilla, ect... The rum is not overpowering, but I can definitely smell and taste it. If you like rum, you'll probably like it. It's very smooth at 10.7% ABV, and a very nice beer to sip.

Last edited:

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
Browsed Market District in Robinson on my lunch and found Southern Tier Imperial Rum Barrel Aged Pumking. Probably try it during the Pens game tonight.

edit:

Drank it during the game. Tastes probably like how you would expect, Pumking with some hints of rum, vanilla, ect... The rum is not overpowering, but I can definitely smell and taste it. If you like rum, you'll probably like it. It's very smooth at 10.7% ABV, and a very nice beer to sip.

That sounds legit. I'll probably never find a one-off variation of Pumpking where I live (or anything else for that matter) - which is in the middle of a cornfield, in a town with a population of 10,000.

But, I live less than two hours away from 3Floyds. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad